Embedded Microchips for Work/Life

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Putting this in the Technology section since it's not common..yet.

I began wondering how long this would take before someone used it for work etc a few years ago. Looks like now it's starting to become used in the workplace.

Here is one example article on the subject:

Cyborgs at work: employees getting implanted with microchips

Some quotes from the article:
"As a demonstration, he unlocks a door by merely waving near it. "It basically replaces a lot of things you have, other communication devices, whether it be credit cards or keys."

"He injects the implants — using pre-loaded syringes — into the fleshy area of the hand, just next to the thumb. The process lasts a few seconds, and more often than not there are no screams and barely a drop of blood. "The next step for electronics is to move into the body," he says."

A gps tracked tag that everyone has embedded in them to work at certain businesses etc. Tracks when you leave the building for lunch so you don't have to punch out / use your phone and tracks when you get back in the building via local wifi etc was one suggestion i read just for everyday business. Another is maybe your phone/laptop/workstation won't unlock unless it detects the signal from the chip in your hand.

Is this going too far? Is this the way the human race is going? Security concerns? In say a decade could this be mandatory for working somewhere? Could this revolutionize the way homes are built especially with motion capture, turn on lights, unlock door etc.
Thoughts?

Just want to get the discussion going.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
No way in hell are you going to get people to agree to have a GPS tag in their body that their company can look up where they are at any given time. I just don't see people ever being OK with that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
I just don't see people ever being OK with that.
Unfortunate labor theory says otherwise.

YOU can hate it all you want, but they don't need to convince YOU, they just need convince the lower-paid shemp who wants to take your job.

Eventually supply equilibrium will push more and more low-wage laborers to accept the chips and next thing you know, high-wage laborers either find ways to accept the chip, find ways to fake the chip or are priced out of the market.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
HID cards implanted seem stupid. Give me dem implantable physiological monitors and diagnostics

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, fuck a bunch of that. I don't need my employer keeping track of where I am.

This sounds like all the more reason to get out of the workforce as soon as possible.

• 1Like

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Do they take it back out if/when people quit? Or do you get the pleasure of accumulating a thumb full of tracking devices as you advance your career.

• 1Solidarity

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Do they take it back out if/when people quit? Or do you get the pleasure of accumulating a thumb full of tracking devices as you advance your career.
This seems like the main reason something like this won't happen unless it's dissolvable or something.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.

Just reprogram the chip. New job..new software. Probably like a phone. You own the device but the software / data gets wiped when you leave. For this particular company? no idea.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Would you use a chip if it monitored you health stats and gave you an insurance discount?

What if I hacked the chip and gave myself vip access to hookers and blow.

What if law enforcement mandates kids get chipped for their safety but they use it later to track their teenage/adult movements. Based on where you visit they can now correlate if you might commit a crime. Which will justify search and seizure of your private property. Shits a slippery slope and very little of it benefits you.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I've proven over and over again that nobody cares as long as you look like an upstounding citizen lol. I have a enough badges to fill up a glove box in the truck and if I don't have it I just talk like it's the end of the world if I don't get on site and have yet to be told no. Fair number of the gate guards are well armed as well. Never tried it at the nuke plant tho. Nobody wants to be the person that told the person that could fix something bad "no".

But no I'm not having something injected. I would assume it just ID's you as soandso and up to the company to program what that allows and disable it if you quit/fired etc...

The next step will be companies putting your shopping/buying ID tied into the tag so you can swipe at check out and such to save $0.01. No thanks.

• 1Solidarity

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I'll do it myself. Have my own blockchain ID and just amend it as I need to. Why wait for a company to do something proprietary? NFC is very weak, intentionally so. I am curious where we'll get with these. I'd rather have my own cell signal and a host of bluetooth implants. Being able to make calls that I can speak to sub-vocally and hear from a piece that's attached to my ear would be pretty sick. Speakers, microphones, and radio transmitters take a bit of juice to work well, so figuring out a seamless way to supply them would be key. If we could hijack the metabolic system that would be awesome.

Even better, I similarly chip my dog, and can talk to it remotely.

iannis

Musty Nester
You boys have fun with this cyborg atrocity. I'll just grow my beard and start farming potatoes.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
I've watched enough anime to know where this is going fuck you very much.

:smuggly:

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yea, a highlight of their FAQ is how weak NFC is and what you should expect from the implant. It's just not effective enough for me to consider this the new reality.
Yup which is why I abandoned it.

They have thin flex ones that are better but way more potential for a huge lump and scarring. Not into that.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Would you use a chip if it monitored you health stats and gave you an insurance discount?

What if I hacked the chip and gave myself vip access to hookers and blow.

What if law enforcement manadtes kids get chipped for their safety but they use it later to track their teenage/adult movements. Based on where you visit they can now correlate if you might commit a crime. Which will justify search and seizure of your private property. Shits a slippery slope and very little if it benefits you.

I wish health care would do something like a discount for being healthy. They wouldn't need a chip for it. An annual doctors visit that gets reported would suffice. Heck, they could even allow you to upload data from a fitness watch or something to give them an idea of whether or not you are active at all. Odds of something like that happening are slim but I can dream.