Embedded Programming and Design

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
When I said it was too hard to do I was thinking of all custom electronics, not a Raspberry pi + Xbee to an android phone, but regardless, good work getting it done. It's really cool that there are computing platforms like that out there now that make it possible to do really complex stuff using off the shelf electronics. Congrats.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well it was all custom electronics to a point. The android phone was just so an officer can communicate with a dog through his phone. GPS, Camera, etc were bought and then all logic/function was programmed by me.. unless you were thinking we were going to make our own GPS module or something

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I meant building or breadboarding your own circuits yes. When you started you were talking about some sort of microprocessor or DSP as the controller. You did use a raspberry pi on the dog's end right? Were there any circuits designed or built by you? I'm talking about hardware not software.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We used a RPi on both ends actually, phone was connected through USB to one and then there was one on the dog. I didn't make any circuits but I basically built the entire system on both ends and did all the embedded program.

The only two real hardware circuits we had were the two electricals were tasked with making a taser and a treat compartment that would open if the signal was sent (reward). What really ended up happening was they waited until two days before it was due to tell us that the logic output voltage wasn't working and that we needed to do something else.

If I had known maybe.. oh, let's say anywhere between 1 to 19 weeks before that day I could've solved it. But at two days out, I told them it wasn't going to be included.

So to answer your question I didn't make any circuits. I wired and programmed the entire system though. Probably 70% of the project was me.