Ender's Game

Terial

Trakanon Raider
was surprised not to find a thread on this movie yet...
Teaser trailer is out and full trailer coming in 4 days.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
How much do you think, even though he wrote it, having Orson Scott Card promote this movie will hurt it at the box office?

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Not at all? The average person doesn't care about writers, or even actors. Sean Penn is batshit insane, and people still go to his movies.

What'll hurt it at the box office is the fact it'll probably suck.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Considering known child rapists have no issue getting movies out and money made, I doubt it'll be much of an issue. Expect to see a few articles detailing his craziness, at best.

Iwazaru_sl

shitlord
Eminent invasion? If I remember correctly we were training him to lead the counter attack. Graffe defeated the invasion. And the fighting of aliens happened as simulated war games during the last few chapters. The whole book was about the rigors of battle school and hardships of training. Hell, it was shown in the later books that the aliens were sorry they attacked us, they didn't realize we were intelligent or some such. I'm going to have re-read those books again.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
If I remember correctly they had assumed it was only a matter of time before an invasion took place.

this movie i think is based on ender's game and ender's shadows (or w/e the first book is in the parallel series)
sequel to this movie might be tough sell based on the original series... hehe
since then he has seemed to have been writing alot of the ender universe. i stopped keeping track so i suppose there alot to go on

this should have only been made in the styling of a neongensisanime/kubrick film. live child/adolescent actors are fucking annoying.

Grimey

Golden Knight of the Realm
Eminent invasion? If I remember correctly we were training him to lead the counter attack. Graffe defeated the invasion. And the fighting of aliens happened as simulated war games during the last few chapters. The whole book was about the rigors of battle school and hardships of training. Hell, it was shown in the later books that the aliens were sorry they attacked us, they didn't realize we were intelligent or some such. I'm going to have re-read those books again.
Dude, they're not going to give away the entire twist of the novel in the teaser trailer.

Ender4212

I want this to be good, but I'm prepared for suckage. Also, I didn't know Ben Kingsley was in it before that video.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yes pretty much this. Everybody thought that another invasion was only a matter of time and given their last fight was one almost by luck they did not believe if they waited for another attack that they would survive.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Looks good. Ford makes a great Graff. Kingsley as Rackham is an interesting choice. Sucks that the kids are so much older though, kinda lessens the main impact of the story.

Cybsled

I'd rather have them age the kids and get decent teen-ish actors vs. stay true to the book and have horrible child actors.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I hope this will be decent. Everything looks ok so far, but I've seen too many novel adaptions get raped. As for a sequel... God I hope not, after Ender's Game the books just get too weird.

Brad2770

I already saw the first one. I suppose I will see this as well.

Bender%27s_Game.jpg

Bender%27s_Game.jpg

Enob

Man, why the immediate backlash to that essay? It is "a great book, period," and the essay certainly isn't calling that into question, although it does question the endings of the 1st and 2nd books. It just brings up some interesting parallels between Ender and Hitler. With the subject matter being what it was (genocide) it isn't too big of a stretch that Card was making a social commentary on Hitler. The essay talks of a lot of smaller parallels between the two that just reinforce the comparison. About the genocide though Ender definitely didn't "save mankind from an intergalactic alien race." He thought he was but he wasn't. Many of the details come from the later books and not just Ender's Game so if you've only read the first you might have missed how he wasn't the savior and actually the aggressor. To summarize the main point though, Ender and Hitler both committed genocide against what they saw as a threat to the good of humanity that wasn't actually a threat. The relevant three paragraphs from the essay:

The Necessity of Genocide

The most explicit parallel between Hitler and Ender is that they're both genocides. Hitler, of course, ordered the death of millions of Jews, Slavs, homosexuals, physically and mentally handicapped persons, and so on. Ender exterminated an entire intelligent species. Most people, I hope, agree that mass murder, much less genocide, is quite indefensible. Yet, as we follow Ender's life after he wipes out the Buggers, we're invited to understand and forgive his actions.

Why? How? Here are two answers. "I would prefer not to see anyone suffer, not to do harm to anyone. But then I realize that the species is in danger..." "I thought I was playing a game. I didn't know it was the real thing. But...if I had known the battle was real, I would have done the same thing. We thought they wanted to kill us." The first words are Hitler's, the second Ender's. But the idea is the same, an appeal to good intentions. To save our people, we had to eliminate the threat presented by the existence of the stranger.

And that's a valid argument, if you're still a child and no one has ever told you what the road to Hell is paved with. It's a matter of historical record that Hitler honestly believed that the people he defined as human were in terrible danger from "inferior races." He did not merely use the threat to Nordic racial purity to become Fuhrer. Rather, he became Fuhrer because there was simply no other way to institute the sweeping racial programs his beliefs required. As Waite writes in The Psychopathic God: "The horror of Hitler was this: he meant what he said, he lived by his ideals, he practiced what he preached." And this, precisely, is the horror of Ender the Xenocide.

Anyway, it is a somewhat pointless derail in a thread about the movie. More of a Book House discussion.