Ender's Game

Lina_sl

shitlord
I really liked the film and now I am reading the book.

Some things are lacking and other are well done. Overall, I'd say it's entertaining even if it's not completely accurate.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Just got back from seeing and I enjoyed it for the most part. Obviously the skimmed a lot of my favorite stuff like the battle school comp and the actual progression of Ender becoming a commander, but having read the books it was easy to fill in those gaps. Didn't like the shower scene though since the movie made it appear to be more like an accident than a deliberate act on Ender's part. This actually surprised me given they kept the theme of Ender fighting to win permanently.

Turgut_sl

shitlord
Agree faille, I could forgive most of the changes but the whole drive of this book is that Ender would do what it would take to take his enemy out. It really felt out of place for the character.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Just got back from seeing and I enjoyed it for the most part. Obviously the skimmed a lot of my favorite stuff like the battle school comp and the actual progression of Ender becoming a commander, but having read the books it was easy to fill in those gaps. Didn't like the shower scene though since the movie made it appear to be more like an accident than a deliberate act on Ender's part. This actually surprised me given they kept the theme of Ender fighting to win permanently.
I don't think the director of the film understood that. Ender was always focused on winning his personal wars rather than just his personal battles. He was able to look past the immediate need to future issues and find ways to address or mitigate them now. That was the mind of a battle commander. That was never truly driven home in the film. It was all portrayed as accidental or circumstantial rather than a deliberate and calculated attempt at ending the conflict permanently.

Pilforgod

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yes, yes it did and now I get to watch another facet of my childhood get ruined
wink.png

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Finally got around to seeing this. I typically can't deal with child actors (under 18) as the main characters of a story, but they did alright in this movie. Never read the book. That short Mexican commander dudes face was starting to piss me off though. Glad Ender finished that clown off early.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I enjoyed it personally, battle school was rushed but not a lot of it would have translated well into film anyway.

Movie in general could have been a bit longer but at almost 2 hours I guess that would have been pushing it with some viewers.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Finally got around to seeing this. I typically can't deal with child actors (under 18) as the main characters of a story, but they did alright in this movie. Never read the book. That short Mexican commander dudes face was starting to piss me off though. Glad Ender finished that clown off early.
All I could see was Biaggio from Kings of Summer.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
As far as child > hero stories go, I'm still waiting for Rand Al'Thor. Amirite?
That's an HBO or Showtime series waiting to happen. Well, there isn't much sex in it, so maybe AMC or some such. Well, HBO isn't ashamed to add sex to a story where there is none, so maybe HBO.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
That's an HBO or Showtime series waiting to happen. Well, there isn't much sex in it, so maybe AMC or some such. Well, HBO isn't ashamed to add sex to a story where there is none, so maybe HBO.
There was plenty of sex in WoT. It wasn't shown all explicit in the books, but Rand was banging three chicks. Lan bangs Nynaeve eventually, Perrin and Faile, not to mention Mat and his escapades. Did you read some G rated version?

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
I watched the movie yesterday and felt it was a horrible adaptation of the book. Too much of the story was cut out. Having only two battle room scenes was a major let down. They never really showed how Ender proved his brilliance as a strategist. Honestly it felt like the only reason they chose him to command in the movie was how he handled the two fights he got in.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, they should have made the movie 4 1/2 hours long to include every damn thing.
If it was true to the book, i'd watch that. This one was such a letdown. They only played lip service to the relationship with his brother, and the battle school progression really was weak.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Having never read the books, I have to agree. There is no indication of why he is chosen to be a great commander. We are just told that he is, so he is.