Ender's Game

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I've already read the fucking essay and it's bullshit. There is no parallel because the fucking Jews didn't attack first. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Point is, no one gives a fuck even if he WAS making a fucking social commentary on Hitler. That's not why we read and enjoyed the fucking book and that's not what we took away from it.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well the history of anti-semitism is largely based on the Jews being viewed as a parasite that bleeds society whether that be economical, political, social, or religious. To Hitler they had been under attack from the Jews for hundreds of years. As far as the rest of Europe and the invasions go that was seen by Hitler and sold to the German people as a preemptive attack and that if they didn't then Germany would be wiped out. Yet more parallels.

Definitely laughing about the butthurt that essay is causing though. Just because you liked the book and Ender as a character and protagonist does not mean that for the essay to be true that you support Nazism and liked Hitler. Pretty sure that's where the anger must be coming from.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
There's no anger, just amazement at the fucking stupidity. What part of "no one cares" do you not understand? No one cares AND it's bullshit anyway. Why are you trying to defend it so hard? And spouting world history? You think you're educating anyone? Wakandan, please. Next you'll be wanting to teach us basic math.

Arakkis

N00b
You know, now that I have read all that Hitler doesn't seem like such a bad guy. Thank you Orson Scott Card for opening my eyes to the untermensch threat!

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Hmmm, don't really like that trailer. I feel like it's portraying events wrong, unless they changed things, which would be worse.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
This will be exactly like David Lynch's Dune. Great movie on its own. But fucking awful if you're trying to compare it to the book.

And I mean an absolute fucking rapefest tragedy of a movie compared to the book. But as a movie, pretty fucking good cult sci-fi. Such a contradiction, but I think that's what this is too.

Vardisk_sl

shitlord
Hmmm, don't really like that trailer. I feel like it's portraying events wrong, unless they changed things, which would be worse.
Yea, the aliens fighting against humans in F-16s on Earth? That's completely contrary to how everything works out in the books, and really undoes the sadness of the end of the book.

In the book, the humans were a fairly large galactic civilization already. The buggers were a neighboring civilization and on first contact attacked a human ship completely unprovoked, wiping out the entire crew, and triggering the war. From the buggers perspective, there are no individuals, only the collective mind of the swarm. By destroying that one ship, they were just trying to say, "Hey, this is our territory, please respect our borders." They had no idea about individuality, the sanctity of an individual life, or that the action would trigger a full on war between the two civilizations. The war was just a misunderstanding.

If in the movie, the first contact is the buggers trying to invade Earth and completely wipe out humans with their just present day technology, then that just turns the buggers into warmongering assholes that deserve to be wiped out, no misunderstanding at all.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
It feels like Ender knows what is going on during the battles in that trailer. That would be a mistake, a bad one if they do that.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I can't wait for this to come out. I don't expect it to be as good as the book but it could be a great sci-fi movie regardless.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
It feels like Ender knows what is going on during the battles in that trailer. That would be a mistake, a bad one if they do that.
^^ This is one of the things I was referring to. The name of the friggin book is Ender'sGamethe whole premise is that he doesn't know it's real til after. I could be worried for nothing, could just be a badly done trailer.

Every line of that trailer is terrible. It doesn't help that the book stars a bunch of dumb kids so there's no avoiding that shit but even the grown-ups are phoning it in. If those are the best takes they had, I'm pretty sure this is going to be fucking horrible (despite all the lazerzzz).

Also, I don't remember aliens vs f-16s from the book, but it's also been years and years since I read it.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Every line of that trailer is terrible. It doesn't help that the book stars a bunch of dumb kids so there's no avoiding that shit but even the grown-ups are phoning it in. If those are the best takes they had, I'm pretty sure this is going to be fucking horrible (despite all the lazerzzz).

Also, I don't remember aliens vs f-16s from the book, but it's also been years and years since I read it.
i agree it does seem completely phoned in. Harrison fords voice doesn't quite sound right, Ben Kingsly sounds like himself though. Also those are F-35s not 16's.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
If they really are changing it such that Ender knows the whole time, it screws up half the book (including, as already mentioned, the freaking title).

Ben Kingsley is so not working for me. Totally should have gone with Temuera Morrison (Jango Fett).

I will admit the Battle Room looks good, though who knows if anyone will want to sit through half an hour of zero gravity laser tag.

Otherwise, we will see. It's the guy who did Wolverine directing a bunch of child actors. My expectations are near zero.