Ender's Game

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
There will be no sequels because Card's other books sucked ass. Despite his numerous Hugo and Nebula nominations, he was still the equivalent of a one hit wonder, except in his case it was literature instead of music. I remember reading Ender's Game when I was 20 or so, then buying a few of the sequels for an international trip thinking they would be great, but they in fact were incredibly boring. I don't think I was even able to finish Speaker for the Dead. Even Ender's Game itself, which imho was a good book, wasn'tthatgreat. It was short, wasn't particularly well written, and most of it's greatness came via the surprise ending and climax. It felt like a more serious version of a Piers Anthony novel.

That being said I did enjoy the movie, however my couch expectations are a lot lower than my in theatre ones. I can pretty much watch anything sci-fi on the couch and it's probably guaranteed at least a C rating.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Ok, but a fine example of why not all stories translate to movies.
This story didn not translate well to movie because it was not well translated. Take the introductory sequence for example, voice-over narrative, the worst posible choice. Furthermore, there was a distinct feeling of discrepancy between the screen-time they should have alloted to certain moments in the narrative and the actual screen-time we've got. Some important moments were glossed over, and insignifiant stuff dragged on forever.

Dynalisia

Lord Nagafen Raider
so he wrote a bunch of slightly altered Ender's Games to make that money.
Eh, doubtlessly Card was trying to cash in, but they weren't nearly as bad as you make them out to be. The Bean/Peter books after Ender's Shadow are not parallel stories to the events in Ender's Game. They are relatively generic but entertaining geopolitical intrigue and action novels, with an easily ignorable amount of Card's moral philosophy. I've spent money on worse.