Endless Space 2

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Not sure how I missed this... from 5 months ago:

Some of the stuff I like that they're doing (based on the video):
  • Differing factions in your population over time, resulting in them leaning directions politically that might not always be predictable
  • Independent factions seem more meaningful
  • Unique quests for each faction

Latest development update:

• Not sure what to think about the 'deck building' part of battles

In Early Access on Steam:

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
This was released last Friday(I think?). Has anybody tried it yet?

I absolutely loved the first Endless Space, but it definitely hasn't aged well(4x games usually age much better than most).

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I tried it out in Early Access, haven't gotten a chance to circle back to it.

I'll definitely have to. It was fun.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
If you liked the first one and Endless Legend, game is an improvement on everything previously. Although it really just makes me wish that Sword of the Stars 2 wasn't stillborn. The depth of combat in that game (and the fuckton of different battlefield technologies) will likely never be attempted by a 4x ever again.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Have been playing it. Each race plays very differently, between the classic settling, the capitalists (buy outposts, sell them), the space vine treants (send vines to entangle the system, then settle whenever you want as tech opens), the full-on time robots and the vampiric wanderers. Plus the usual craver horde.

The battles are still basic Endless Space. Probably even simpler.

One... more... turn...

goishen

Macho Ma'am
If you liked the first one and Endless Legend, game is an improvement on everything previously. Although it really just makes me wish that Sword of the Stars 2 wasn't stillborn. The depth of combat in that game (and the fuckton of different battlefield technologies) will likely never be attempted by a 4x ever again.

I haven't played Sword of The Stars, but check out Stars In Shadow.

Very reminiscent of MoO2.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Just picked it up for $20 on Steam. Sale runs threw weekend.

Last edited:

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Apparently I have the first ES in my Steam Account since April 2016 and it says I played it for 7 hours but I have zero recollection of that

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
It has way less depth than Stellaris in the strategic and map-painting ways but makes up for it with rpg-ish elements like different kind of quests for different races and highly customizable leaders. The battles have some more choices with battle-cards to choose your tactics to suit your ships etc. Having spent about 50ish hours on it I'd say it's worth it if it's on sale or something. And looks kinda nice too.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
It has way less depth than Stellaris in the strategic and map-painting ways but makes up for it with rpg-ish elements like different kind of quests for different races and highly customizable leaders. The battles have some more choices with battle-cards to choose your tactics to suit your ships etc. Having spent about 50ish hours on it I'd say it's worth it if it's on sale or something. And looks kinda nice too.

Ah nice one. Yeah, sometimes Stellaris gets too grindy. This sounds like a nice break from that, buying it now.

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
The biggest difference though is that most races play different from others. Like Cravers deplete planets so you -have- to conquer to survive etc.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
The biggest difference though is that most races play different from others. Like Cravers deplete planets so you -have- to conquer to survive etc.

Thats a good feature too, one of the things I dont like about Stellaris is the randomly generated races are just a mish mash of random shit from one giant pool of traits and features and are completely forgettable.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
ES2 is a lot more complex than 1. I only have 2 hrs in it and its got a lot of stuff to manage. I played a lot of Stellaris but it has been updated and expanded a lot since I last touched it.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I haven't played Sword of The Stars, but check out Stars In Shadow.

Very reminiscent of MoO2.

I've actually played a bit of this recently - I got my $10 of entertainment from it, but it's not a long term thing - it's shallow, poorly balanced, the tactical AI is trivially exploitable and it's got huge late game performance issues.

It is very moo2 like, I'll give it that - not many games these days will go for turn based tactical space combat, but sadly this one probably gives a good demonstration of why this is the case. I don't remember moo2 combat being this tedious, but that's probably the warm glow of nostalgia talking 8).

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've been playing this. It seems great but the Alliance mechanic is super frustrating, it feels like you're forced to make an alliance if you want to win but they're not mechanically enjoyable to be a part of.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've actually played a bit of this recently - I got my $10 of entertainment from it, but it's not a long term thing - it's shallow, poorly balanced, the tactical AI is trivially exploitable and it's got huge late game performance issues.

It is very moo2 like, I'll give it that - not many games these days will go for turn based tactical space combat, but sadly this one probably gives a good demonstration of why this is the case. I don't remember moo2 combat being this tedious, but that's probably the warm glow of nostalgia talking 8).

combat in moo2 was very dependent on tech. there were a couple of end(ish) game techs that almost completely trivialized combat and made it super quick. i think it was the phase cloak and the warp space interdicter. basically made it so that you would do your turn and phase out of existence while the enemy just sat there on their thumbs. they couldn't attack, so their turns would come up and the AI would just auto-pass everything.

it was cheap, and it was glorious.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Picked this up finally. Really enjoyed the first one but I seem to be rusty on how to play it. Seems like this one is a lot more polished generally which is good, though I think Stellaris is still the best in that regard. Sadly Stellaris is way too grindy and slow now so pretty much given it the flick. Hopefully this will scratch my space 4x itch