Epic Games Storefront - A Good Incentive for Piracy

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Still an exclusive though. Release on both, let people choose whether the extra cost is worth it to them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Still an exclusive though. Release on both, let people choose whether the extra cost is worth it to them.

Yeah. That $5 drop is nice, but it's sacrificing platform features to get it. Being able to choose between the lower price or the more features is where the customer choice plays in, and which is where the exclusivity starts having a negative effect. He talks about the developer friendly features of Epic, while ignoring the consumer friendly features of Steam. He's welcome to this decision, but he's also not seeing the whole picture, or intentionally skirting around it.

Kiki

Log Wizard
1552497724981.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Boy, it sure is good that they're trustworthy to only go that far! I mean, think of the shit they might do if they were mostly owned by a puppet of an evil country.

Once you realize steam has integration with unreal, and the Epic response says as much, how is this surprising at all lol. One of the first things I did in unreal was integrate with steam.

• 1Cringe

Caliane

So where are we in this trainwreck?

Epic game store finally has a few things on it, that I wouldn't mind. I wouldn't mind supporting competition... but if bad business practices are in play.. just going to stick with Steam.

The games on the list, (that I don't already own)
Outward is on both.
Satisfactory is a consideration. Dauntless, Operencia, Spellbreak.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Phoenix Point is gonna be sick as fuck though. I bought it before the Epic games exclusivity thing, its a really really really solid update to the old X Coms.

Satisfactory looks great too.

• 1Cringe

iannis

Musty Nester
Well, obsidian put outer worlds on this pile of garbage.

Didn't take long for the chinks to fuck it up. One of the TWO games I was looking forward to.

Not installing chink malware for you, obsidian. Sorry just not gonna happen.

Caliane

If that data is accessible.
Obviously what we all really need is a master program that combines your libraries in a UI list.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

Didn't take long for the chinks to fuck it up. One of the TWO games I was looking forward to.

CODEX or CPY will have your back. No fear.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Epic sold literally billions of dollars worth of shit on Fortnite/epic store last year. Why did nobody give a shit until they expanded their library?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
"Expanded their library" is a rather disingenuous way of putting it.

Forcefully secured exclusive contracts for some games and started selling them. The point was why did nobody care until they did that?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How is it not obvious that people who don't give a single fuck about Fortnite actually do care when Epic comes along gobbling up the games they do play?

Even if Epic wasn't making these deals I would STILL never use their shit because of how much of a target Fortnite's success makes Epic accounts. I had an account with them from back when they gave away Shadow Complex and until I finally disabled it I would get multiple messages a day saying some faggot in Brazil or Russia or China had attempted to log into my account so many times it was now locked, and a few times successfully logged in but got stopped by 2FA.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Forcefully secured exclusive contracts for some games and started selling them. The point was why did nobody care until they did that?

Most people don't care, just a vocal minority here shitting up every thread because "reasons".

A couple big news pieces from Epic yesterday:

The cross-platform tools we've known about since Dec, but I don't know if we knew it would be free for ANY developer, on any engine/store.
The 100 million grant program is an upgrade from their previous 5 million dollar program.

iannis

Musty Nester
Epic sold literally billions of dollars worth of shit on Fortnite/epic store last year. Why did nobody give a shit until they expanded their library?

I gave a shit I just wasn't pissed off (read: personally effected) by it.

I wasn't interested in installing their bloat when they had nothing I wanted, and I'm not interested in installing their bloat even though they have one title I wanted.

I'll either wait a year or pirate it. Probably wait a year.

It's not like this is unexpected. It's pretty much why I was leery of them spending that money / trying to do this to begin with. I mean it's not secret. It's only like 5 pages ago.

This might be good for developers. It is not good for me as a consumer. Ultimately I don't think it'll be good for developers either. Instead of EA you'll have EG.

I'm not sure if you missed that we were raising concerns, which is possible, or just find it convienent to ignore that we were. There's a few pages of "well this sucks" up there.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity