Epic Games Storefront - A Good Incentive for Piracy

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I have only asked Steam for one refund, which they did quickly and with no questions asked. I still feel a bit guilty about it to. I finished the game and the ending left a pretty sour taste in my mouth, so I refunded it. I don't think I would ask for a refund under those circumstances again.

Now something like a broken piece of shit like Fallout 76? You should be able to refund that crap all day.

Yeah I only asked for one refund - and it was on a 19 dollar indie game that blew. I didn't feel guilty though.

Epic will want to make that easier and more accessible. I think they will find, like Valve, that most people are not refunding unless it is something like Fallout 76 - in which Valve is an active speaker/voice for the gamer/consumer and I am guessing in no way shape or form did Bethesda want people to be able to easily refund that piece of shit, hence it wasn't on there.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
Any "deluxe offer" to make games you buy on epicStore, DRM free ala gog.com?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Got a refund for No Man's Sky a month and 30 hours in.

Not so concerned about refunds, but it creates a natural point of comparison. Really their store is pretty half-baked so far, and I think there are other things they can do to innovate aside from price and return policy, just remains to be seen if they will. I've installed it and I'll start snagging the free games, if they want more business than that from me they'll have to earn it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I am a little leery of an online store that does not have some way to review the products they sell.

• 2Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
My current steam library
0aoPqub.jpg

I used to buy every bundle for a while, idle them for cards, and sell the cards (all automated) but cards stopped really selling a year ago so I stopped buying most bundles, just VR ones now. Still, thats 5k games I've got that I will never, ever play lol

The refund sounds awesome on paper but yeah if they need all that shit... fuck that. Still, it'll be nice to have a "real" competitor to steam, at the least I'd expect better sales to come forth from both now. I've had ~$250 in my steam wallet for years now and rarely buy anything anymore.

Maybe you can't spend that money because you bought all the games.

• 1Truth!

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That refund policy is illegal in the EU anyways, so they have to come up with something better.

• 2Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am taking this with a grain of salt, but there are multiple discussions about this on ResetEra, and they are trying to sell the fact that Epic is supposedly forcing exclusivity on anyone who sells on their storefront but when people ask for clarification they start to stutter. They seem to be basing this on a few that have been paid to be exclusive, and to them that's enough. I mean it's just like Consoles, someone ponies up for timed exclusive, is that enough to soil the whole thing?

I'm really a console guy and plan on staying that way so I'm locked into Sony's storefront at the time, so this really doesn't effect me directly, but it does have an impact on gaming in general so I'm watching this unfold. So basically I don't have skin in the game, I'm just wanting to see how people from all ends of the crazy spectrum react to this as it rolls out.

• 1WTF

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I am a little leery of an online store that does not have some way to review the products they sell.

They should absolutely have that. But to be fair, I read reviews from several places before I dump $60+ on a game anyways. Wont discourage me from saving $20 bucks over Steam, more to the point.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
They should absolutely have that. But to be fair, I read reviews from several places before I dump $60+ on a game anyways. Wont discourage me from saving $20 bucks over Steam, more to the point.

They should hook up with an established game review site imo. Who's the Rotten Tomatoes of video games?

Maybe we can make a deal with Epic to host reviews from here :D

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I am taking this with a grain of salt, but there are multiple discussions about this on ResetEra, and they are trying to sell the fact that Epic is supposedly forcing exclusivity on anyone who sells on their storefront but when people ask for clarification they start to stutter. They seem to be basing this on a few that have been paid to be exclusive, and to them that's enough. I mean it's just like Consoles, someone ponies up for timed exclusive, is that enough to soil the whole thing?

I'm really a console guy and plan on staying that way so I'm locked into Sony's storefront at the time, so this really doesn't effect me directly, but it does have an impact on gaming in general so I'm watching this unfold. So basically I don't have skin in the game, I'm just wanting to see how people from all ends of the crazy spectrum react to this as it rolls out.

I will laugh as Epic tries to take on Steam and then pulls this kind of shit, including that refund garbage as well. This will be Epic alright...

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
The people that blindly follow Steam are people like me. I never, in a million years, thought Steam would work. I'm happy to have been proven wrong. There are other competitors out there, and only time will tell if this can be as big as Steam.

RhoA

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'll use it if they have good deals. I already use most of the launchers anyway so what's another one added to the mix. I prefer Steam over the others, but really I think that's because that's what I started with more than anything.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Robbery my ass. 30% was pretty much the industry standard for both games and things like app store/itunes and the like. That standard is changing with PC gaming and Valve already started dropping their cut.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The majority of those indie devs wouldn't have an industry to make games in if Valve hadn't dragged the industry to where it is now. They also seem to be complaining about the very things that let them be on the store in the first place.

"Steam doesn't let the small guy get on their platform! Standards need to be lowered!"

Followed by

"Steam let's too much trash on so it drowns everything out! Standards need to be raised!"

But all the power to them if they want to branch out. I'm sure there's a lot of legitimate problems with having your stuff on Steam.

• 2Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Got a refund for No Man's Sky a month and 30 hours in.

Not so concerned about refunds, but it creates a natural point of comparison. Really their store is pretty half-baked so far, and I think there are other things they can do to innovate aside from price and return policy, just remains to be seen if they will. I've installed it and I'll start snagging the free games, if they want more business than that from me they'll have to earn it.

I think that's going to be a massive sticking point. Steam has undeniable social momentum and i'm just not interested in installing more storefronts even for free games. Especially since the past two years it seems like all the major publishers have been floating the idea that they're going to make their own storefront so get ready for it. What a startup has to offer is a service better than steams not just as good as steams. I'm honestly not sure how you would improve on steams service from a consumer perspective. It's simple, it does exactly what you want it to, there haven't been any data breaches that I can remember... I really don't see much room for improvement. From a producers standpoint maybe it's a different beast. I'd think it is. But I don't care about that.

More competition is a good thing in theory. In practice I'm not sure it's a competitive market even with more storefronts.

They might force Valve to start running sales again maybe. I know steam still runs sales, but they're lackluster compared to steam sales just five years ago.