Epic Games Storefront - A Good Incentive for Piracy

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Exclusivity is way too anti consumer for me. I'm not impressed that they're essentially giving indie devs a huge bag of cash for exclusivity, and then hiding it behind an NDA.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Satisfactory, a first person Factorio style game pulled down it's Steam page and is now Epic exclusive.

Edit: they confirmed they were paid for a 12 month exclusive.

Last edited:

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Loosely related, this is a pretty big deal.

Source w/less clickbait headline: Epic 2019 Cross-Platform Online Services Roadmap

At Epic, our goal is to help game developers succeed. Throughout 2019, we’ll be launching a large set of cross-platform game services originally built for Fortnite, and battle-tested with 200,000,000 players across 7 platforms. These services will be free for all developers, and will be open to all engines, all platforms, and all stores. As a developer, you’re free to choose mix-and-match solutions from Epic and others as you wish.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
[H]ardOCP: Discord Store Announces 90/10 Developer Revenue Split

Epic Games seems to have kicked off an arms race between PC game storefronts. When Epic announced the store, they told the public that developers would get 88% of all sales revenue, as opposed to the 70% cut developers and publishers get on Steam. Valve quickly lowered the rates for large-volume titles, and now Discord's relatively new store has an even lower 90/10 revenue split. This isn't quite as low as the mere 5% cut RobotCache promised to take, but the other caveats of a blockchain-based distribution platform are still a mystery.

Discord is just as big a threat to Steam as EG is as they are quickly becoming a daily platform for most PC gamers to keep in touch with friends, similar to how Steam was/is used. We pretty much know Discord makes money off of user data, which might be subsidizing this low cut of sales, and possibly better personally targeted storefronts.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I thought Steam chat would put a big damper on Discord's progress. My friends and I moved to a Steam setup and away from Discord. Then one day 2 of us had some crazy audio problems and now we're probably back to Discord for good. Gamers so fickle ;)

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Steam would need to overhaul its community stuff to match what Discord is doing with custom channels and the like, which is a big draw for users. There's just a ridiculous amount of stuff you can do in that one package. It's forums/voice/chat/news/community all rolled into one easy to access package. Steam has all of that but it's sort of segmented.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Yeah. We tried to start using Steam like that, had a channel for announcements for server updates (we were playing on a conan private server on my PC so it had my IP and stuff) then we found that for some reason they wiped out chat history periodically.

So yeah, it's pretty but Steam has a long way to go.

This has no basis in anything I've read, but with these competing services I wouldn't be surprised to see someone acquired. Like if Epic/EA/Origin bought (or bought a stake of) Discord to power all of their social stuff to better compete with or differentiate from Steam.

Of course then out of nowhere Facebook would buy them or something :|

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Subnautica is free (to keep) on the epic store for a few days.

Edit: I see the other post was bumped to let people know too. Oops!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah. We tried to start using Steam like that, had a channel for announcements for server updates (we were playing on a conan private server on my PC so it had my IP and stuff) then we found that for some reason they wiped out chat history periodically.

So yeah, it's pretty but Steam has a long way to go.

This has no basis in anything I've read, but with these competing services I wouldn't be surprised to see someone acquired. Like if Epic/EA/Origin bought (or bought a stake of) Discord to power all of their social stuff to better compete with or differentiate from Steam.

Of course then out of nowhere Facebook would buy them or something :|

I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't bought them and just integrated it with Windows at this point. Both companies are into wanting to harvest user data, and MS has been trying to push back into PC gaming for a couple years now.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I think I dropped some for PvE, too. I just loved the billions of combinations and rng in this game. First time it's felt right since Diablo

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So I have tried to play this fortnite game a few times but goddamn is it not new player friendly. They really need a ranked play so these American Inventors getting 30 kills a game actually fight people their own skill level. Of course the streaming trash faggots hate the idea of even competition.

Argarth

On the verandah
Pray tell... what is this "American Inventors" stuff, and what does it have to do with video games?

iannis

Musty Nester
We had a big fight over it. The inventors won.

But it's funny, so the compromise was just.

to be fair we were way overusing it.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
So I have tried to play this fortnite game a few times but goddamn is it not new player friendly. They really need a ranked play so these American Inventors getting 30 kills a game actually fight people their own skill level. Of course the streaming trash faggots hate the idea of even competition.
Play the LTM modes. The normal modes are a sweatfest and only fun if you're trying to be good at the game. The LTM modes that have respawning are especially fun for a casual player. I play the LTM modes the majority of the time and only do the normal Solo mode if a challenge requires it. No point playing against the tryhards when I'm just trying to dick around.