EQ TLP 2024 Teek (Random loot) & Tormax (Traditional) #neckbeardnostalgia

hEKK

Lord Nagafen Raider
It’s official. Going to get all your booty cheeks clappin this year.

• 1Hodjing
  • 1Midwit
Reactions: 1 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Sounds like you’ve got a lot of meat in your mouth

• 2Worf

Juvarisx

Florida
Sounds like a miserable time, least it would go from 50 pop -> no pop in 2 months at selos speed

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This forum is aging so hard that probably half the people who click the thread will do so actually believing that's the real ruleset.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
This forum is aging so hard that probably half the people who click the thread will do so actually believing that's the real ruleset.
The idiots at DBG are so desperate for a win they just might try it. They've done nothing but fuck up the game over the past year and anything, literally anything, that might saves their jobs is probably on the table at this point.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My tinfoil hat theory is that the new owners are using EQ as a testbed for new systems and mechanics in preparation for a future MMO.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What's the ground breaking tech being tested? How many years you can sell people the same thing over again?

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why would you believe this?

Stuff like the persona thing they added on the last TLP, combined with the new owners having said they wanted to develop the IP. A way to test see what works, what issues come up when you try it, before committing it to a new game or new IP. An explanation as to why they try stuff that seems to come out of left field sometimes.

As I said, it's tinfoil hat stuff so I have no evidence beyond what the spirits radiate into my brain.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Stuff like the persona thing they added on the last TLP, combined with the new owners having said they wanted to develop the IP. A way to test see what works, what issues come up when you try it, before committing it to a new game or new IP. An explanation as to why they try stuff that seems to come out of left field sometimes.

As I said, it's tinfoil hat stuff so I have no evidence beyond what the spirits radiate into my brain.

Putting a brand new system on an ancient game doesn't seem like it would accomplish a whole lot

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
And are you really testing out much when you have all of one or two people implementing it in a slap dash, haphazard way. It's not like they're really messing with any core game mechanics.

There's no conspiracy, it's just them trying to add a new feature as a selling point for the expansion.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
My tinfoil hat theory is that the new owners are using EQ as a testbed for new systems and mechanics in preparation for a future MMO.

This would be like a new car company using a Pontiac Fiero as their test bed platform.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This would be like a new car company using a Pontiac Fiero as their test bed platform.

Exactly, you use a dead end product to beta test your ideas so you can have them work right from the start in your 2025 model.

Maybe I'm wrong and perhaps I'm giving modern software development too much credit as to the amount of forethought that goes into it.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Exactly, you use a dead end product to beta test your ideas so you can have them work right from the start in your 2025 model.

Maybe I'm wrong and perhaps I'm giving modern software development too much credit as to the amount of forethought that goes into it.
I think you're overvaluing how much portability between two incredibly different products would exist. The concept of personas is pretty simple and EQ is hardly the first to do it (especially in the simple form it exists in now); the devil would be in the details of all the elements of characters that you would need to move between which would be highly dependent on a lot of different game systems. EQ players are known for having a lot of alts and they usually take some time to really develop so some type of persona system seems natural to have for EQ itself.

Still, what other innovative ideas are they really testing out? FTE and encounter locking? Again, something that already exists in a lot of games, including EQ2 (and encounter locking was already in EQ before FTE), and will vary a lot based on the game mechanics. Dragon horde stash? Just glorified banking. I just don't see that they're really doing anything except trying to keep interest going in EQ.

• 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I would argue most of the recent EQ system changes just stem from an engineer being in charge. When you're a hammer every problem looks like a nail. A lot of this stuff just feels very engineer-y a lot of "I can fix that!" without much consideration as to whether you should fix it. Just a different style of approach due to a different kind of person calling the shots

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would argue most of the recent EQ system changes just stem from an engineer being in charge. When you're a hammer every problem looks like a nail. A lot of this stuff just feels very engineer-y a lot of "I can fix that!" without much consideration as to whether you should fix it. Just a different style of approach due to a different kind of person calling the shots

Do any of the current team actually play the game?

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So they spend all day working on the game then go home and play all evening!? Good lord.

Only tlps are like that. Live eq is usually 1 raid per week, and a few hours at that, except for a big launch event. I also wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they used dev powers to avoid more tedious grinds like an aug camp.

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
So they spend all day working on the game then go home and play all evening!? Good lord.
To be fair it's a lose-lose for them.

If they didn't play we'd say "Wow they don't even play their own game no wonder the game sucks" and if they do play its like "wow, corrupt Devs in raiding guilds + no life" though they could just join a guild not named Silent Redemption and it would be less stupid than having staff raid with a top 3 live progression guild.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users