EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Now that's a hot take!

One thing I do think is unfortunate is that player power has crept so much no one has to do tunat as it was intended. At least I assume back in the day you couldn't just burn through all the phases without dealing with their unique properties.

Last edited:

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Now that's a hot take!

One thing I do think is unfortunate is that player power has crept so much no one has to do tunat as it was intended. At least I assume back in the day you couldn't just burn through all the phases without dealing with their unique properties.

Nobody even got to Tunat in era because the expansion was intentionally over-tuned for level 70s. Now that it's not over-tuned content is easy AF with tedious mechanics like only priests can get the killing blow.

All the group content sucks everybody still just XPs in PoP zones.

It's got awful itemization that starts off meleequest for the next 5 expansion.

Honestly can anyone give me a single redeeming quality to Omens of War's retarded stepchild.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
Nobody even got to Tunat in era because the expansion was intentionally over-tuned for level 70s. Now that it's not over-tuned content is easy AF with tedious mechanics like only priests can get the killing blow.

All the group content sucks everybody still just XPs in PoP zones.

It's got awful itemization that starts off meleequest for the next 5 expansion.

Honestly can anyone give me a single redeeming quality to Omens of War's retarded stepchild.
At least 33 guilds broke into Tacvi prior to OOW release (- Guild Progression List) and some definitely made it to Tunat.

It's easy AF now because player power is ridiculously high compared to what it was in 2004 (hello auto grant melee AAs, dot revamp, various updates and boosts to other spells, major QOL tools such as xtar window, clicking items from hotbar, no corpses to loot after rezzes, rezz effects nerfs, etc).

Listing 1 mechanic from a single mini event within a larger raid dz is a hilarious reason to hate an entire expansion. GOD introduced more engaging mechanics rather than stare at your screen while your char auto-attacked as you had with every single tank & spank encounter from classic-POP

You thinking group content sucked is mere opinion. The ikkinz trials, Tipt, Vxed, etc, were all enjoyable for me. BIC was creative, complex, and another way to traverse through all of GOD's content which was a pretty rare thing to have in most of EQ's quests.

As opposed to CasterQuest for the first few years of EQ? GOD was one of the first times devs really started delving into class balance through itemization. It wasn't perfect, but at least the days of caster dominance was over with. You're coming across as a butthurt caster with that comment.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
At least 33 guilds broke into Tacvi prior to OOW release (- Guild Progression List) and some definitely made it to Tunat.

No guilds made it past first goat in Tacvi. Tacvi was designed for level 70 players OoW and GoD were originally supposed to be the same expansion, but SOE in the search for more money made it 2 expansion.
It's easy AF now because player power is ridiculously high compared to what it was in 2004

Cool and TLPs play with those player power increases and the content is incredible easy, the content was incredible easy back in 2004, it was just massively over-tuned.

Listing 1 mechanic from a single mini event within a larger raid dz is a hilarious reason to hate an entire expansion. GOD introduced more engaging mechanics rather than stare at your screen while your char auto-attacked as you had with every single tank & spank encounter from classic-POP

GoD has no engaging mechanics on TLPs all of the mechanics are simple AF and purely cosmetic. PoP has easy mechanics but if you fuck up those easy mechanics on some encounters its easy to wipe.

You thinking group content sucked is mere opinion. The ikkinz trials, Tipt, Vxed, etc, were all enjoyable for me. BIC was creative, complex, and another way to traverse through all of GOD's content which was a pretty rare thing to have in most of EQ's quests.

Sure but from the TLPs i've played on during GoD nobody ever touches in of the group content outside of doing AC aug farms and BIC.
As opposed to CasterQuest for the first few years of EQ? GOD was one of the first times devs really started delving into class balance through itemization. It wasn't perfect, but at least the days of caster dominance was over with. You're coming across as a butthurt caster with that comment.

CasterQuest is literally just Classic and even then Monks are still decent. If GOD was the first time Devs Delved into class balance they really fucked up because melee already start to pull ahead in PoP/LDoN and it makes zero sense to give them 50% weapon ratio increases, Fero/Cleave, insane burst discs while casters get 5% upgrades to Foci. For reference i play melee mostly. But it's fucking sad to see 90% of the casters quit/reroll when GOD drops.

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
No guilds made it past first goat in Tacvi. Tacvi was designed for level 70 players OoW and GoD were originally supposed to be the same expansion, but SOE in the search for more money made it 2 expansion.
While the expansion needed significant tuning, this is incorrect. Multiple devs on Alovingrobot's twitch stream have stated they never had any serious conversation about raising the level cap to 70 in GoD.

I'd really like a level locked progression server, all expansions open but raise the level cap every 2 months. I wanna see 300 level 50s rolling through VT.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
GoD was fucked because they moved virtually ALL of their talent/experience over to EQ2 in order to get it to its ship-date on-time. GoD was cobbled together by a bunch of associate designers and people who had very little experience. It's quite a feat that it wasn't MORE FUBAR, tbh.

• 1Like
That's false. You can easily disprove this by using lucy zam and finding the initial entry for multiple tacvi items. If you're going to try and lie, at least lie about something a bit more obscure. Also, I was in one of the guilds that was in Tacvi back in 2004 so you're lying to the wrong peson.
Cool and TLPs play with those player power increases and the content is incredible easy, the content was incredible easy back in 2004, it was just massively over-tuned.
Yes, it was overtuned, however, it was never considered easy content back then. You're talking like an individual that never played it in era.
GoD has no engaging mechanics on TLPs all of the mechanics are simple AF and purely cosmetic. PoP has easy mechanics but if you fuck up those easy mechanics on some encounters its easy to wipe.
Laughable, at best this statement is. Almost every high end encounter in GOD had brand new mechanics and this was in a time when things like GINA weren't widely used applications.
Sure but from the TLPs i've played on during GoD nobody ever touches in of the group content outside of doing AC aug farms and BIC.
That doesn't mean content wasn't good. People just like easy, mindless trash on TLPs. The path of least resistance is what you experienced.
But it's fucking sad to see 90% of the casters quit/reroll when GOD drops.
Classes for the entire game's history had ups and downs in balance. If casters quit because they aren't kings of the hill for a few expansions that's an issue with the playerbase being entitled brats.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Yes, it was overtuned, however, it was never considered easy content back then. You're talking like an individual that never played it in era.

I considered it easy and poorly tuned back then. My guild basically 1 shot everything until we got to High Priest then we got stuck because we didn't have enough tanks. Everything hit too hard and had AE that fucked undergeared players up. None of the shit had hard mechanics.

Possible people got past the Goat i just remember quiting like 4 months into GoD and nobody had beaten that fight at the time.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
If best = overrated sure. The raids suck(Bloodfeaster is the only cool fight), the group content sucks, the gear is boring, BiC is stupid and you can get all your AAs on day one. GoD is an LDoN tier expansion change my mind.

You've turned being wrong about EQ into an art form

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I would love to agree with you about how awful class balance became and how shit the meleequest era was and still even is and how even on tlps now you see tons of casters and healers bailing first while monks and tanks and shit do fine.

But everything else you say is so fucking dumb. Many of us killed multiple mobs inside tacvi in era. It's not hard to take 30 seconds to check yourself before you spew outright false nonsense. Meanwhile, ikkinz group trials were a problem across the spectrum in era and even top guilds at that time were upset about it. Uqua was a nightmare for many and having to redo zun to get into tacvi seemed to get endless hate from xserver top guilds. My weird crew didn't mind the fight as much, but I think we just had really good charmers and manaburners.

Meanwhile the biggest reason its so easy on tlps is because you once again have way too much time in the pop era but without a broke rathe council, so people come in all quarmed to the gills with ldon augs and shit, and face an expansion free of pet nerfs or motm and with an xp boost etc. So it FEELS easier because tlp power restrictions ease.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I’ve forgotten more things about EQ than I remember, but I remember as Wizard in <HoSS> we finished Tacvi around the time Blizzard was handing out free beta accounts to all the EQ players from the top guilds and it killed the number of players during non raid hours. I hated GoD, copy paste zones, everything has keyboard faceroll names, everything hit like a fucking truck and huge AE’s. It all felt so shitty, wow was awesome, GoD made me quit who knows maybe it’s not as god awful now but when it originally came out it was a huge steaming pile of shit and anyone who was associated with creating it should have been ashamed of themselves.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I’ve forgotten more things about EQ than I remember, but I remember as Wizard in <HoSS> we finished Tacvi around the time Blizzard was handing out free beta accounts to all the EQ players from the top guilds and it killed the number of players during non raid hours. I hated GoD, copy paste zones, everything has keyboard faceroll names, everything hit like a fucking truck and huge AE’s. It all felt so shitty, wow was awesome, GoD made me quit who knows maybe it’s not as god awful now but when it originally came out it was a huge steaming pile of shit and anyone who was associated with creating it should have been ashamed of themselves.

They all went to work on eq2. It was a steaming pile of shit because all the talent was gone and amateurs tried to fill the shoes.

Now, decades later after experienced devs went and cleaned it up? Fantastic expansion. I'd argue its the best tlp expac until at least sof.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

For TLPs, I really loved the Ikkinz group trials. They were challenging as a boxer, particularly the second one, but actually have very nice rewards if you're not getting raid leftovers. Like a lot of expansions, if all you do is raidlog, you're going to miss a lot. But even BiS hunters have a reason to do BiC. If you actually read some of the text that occurs in the quest, it's not even a bad storyline to follow (for a video game, of course).

Zapan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Someone awhile back was telling me that GoD was intended to be a level 70 max level expac, but something happened and they stayed at 65. Hence why everything hits like a fucking truck and produces level 73 mobs everywhere.

Can't confirm or deny but based on the content it sounds reasonable.

Personally, I really enjoyed GoD in era and on Mangler.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Someone awhile back was telling me that GoD was intended to be a level 70 max level expac, but something happened and they stayed at 65. Hence why everything hits like a fucking truck and produces level 73 mobs everywhere.

Can't confirm or deny but based on the content it sounds reasonable.

Personally, I really enjoyed GoD in era and on Mangler.

That's been pretty much confirmed by lots of sources to the point its general knowledge.

Think the story is GoD and OOW were supposed to be 1 expansion, but Smed's a greedy fuck

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wonder if this new 64 bit server/client will give them new possibilities when it comes to TLPs, like doing a classic start but with nexus and bazaar active. EC tunnel is quaint but also incredibly annoying.

Only other thing I can think of to really shake things up a bit is limited player race selection, so certain key classes are not available. That would at least require some novel thinking and adaptation, no idea if it would be fun in the long term.

DickTrickle

64 bit would have absolutely nothing to do with them allowing bazaar or POK in classic.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
Not directly, but it might be a case of we're screwing with the code enough, lets try things.