EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I just woke up from a dream where someone said "Hey Harmon is back in EQ!". This necessitates story time:

Harmon was a coworker, and like all coworkers he dabbled in everquest. I can't really remember if this was launch or beta days but the company we worked for collapsed and we all got the axe (happens all the time in games). At the time he was a human male druid which was kind of a rare sight.

I ended up at Digital Anvil (where everyone also played eq) and shortly thereafter learned that Harmon worked there briefly. Legend has it that he came to work for a few days, then stopped showing up. They called and called and eventually got through after a few days.

He had been on a nonstop binge. I never got the full story but I think it might have been the manastone camp. Needless to say they fired him.

Now I really want to play.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I just woke up from a dream where someone said "Hey Harmon is back in EQ!". This necessitates story time:

Harmon was a coworker, and like all coworkers he dabbled in everquest. I can't really remember if this was launch or beta days but the company we worked for collapsed and we all got the axe (happens all the time in games). At the time he was a human male druid which was kind of a rare sight.

I ended up at Digital Anvil (where everyone also played eq) and shortly thereafter learned that Harmon worked there briefly. Legend has it that he came to work for a few days, then stopped showing up. They called and called and eventually got through after a few days.

He had been on a nonstop binge. I never got the full story but I think it might have been the manastone camp. Needless to say they fired him.

Now I really want to play.

That's the saddest story I've heard in a while.

No idea how you think of that and then really want to play

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'll be sure to tell it again next year. I'm old and senile and won't remember posting it, and all of you are also old and senile and won't remember reading it.

I'll bet the guy went on to do great things though once he kicked his habit. He was a really good physics coder.

• 1Solidarity

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I'll be sure to tell it again next year. I'm old and senile and won't remember posting it, and all of you are also old and senile and won't remember reading it.

I'll bet the guy went on to do great things though once he kicked his habit. He was a really good physics coder.

He was just ahead of his time. Nowadays you can work from home and he probably would've killed it at work. I don't know about you, but when doing classes or work, I seem to concentrate better if I'm also accomplishing something in game (camps, fishing, tradeskills, whatever isn't click happy)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
He was just ahead of his time. Nowadays you can work from home and he probably would've killed it at work. I don't know about you, but when doing classes or work, I seem to concentrate better if I'm also accomplishing something in game (camps, fishing, tradeskills, whatever isn't click happy)
I know for certain they would not catch me unless I died at work in the cubicle dungeons past my 8 hrs. Cause fuck that. Now that im home and on a hot project I often put in 12-16 hr days. Of course not concurrent because of my mid day siestas and cooking food and breaks and all that. But yeah, office? fuck no. At home, good things can be accomplished.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Forgive me if I’m stupid but have they done anything on a TLP that is like a true to day one eq combat and shit? Xo levels? Basically P99 but live? Or close to it. I wonder what kind of population you could have when you can’t max level in 24 hours. I doubt it would work. But there is something so appealing to me of the old days of spending a few days camping let’s say N Ro, Oasis, then Highpass etc where you would level slow as fuck but meet people for groups and you would see them many days in a row as you all kind of move up. I’ve made some friends on TLPs but usually on Alts that we are Pling in the POP era. Usually the current TLPs you have a nice level session and then look and the person either disappears, rerolls or caught an epic xp group and blew 30 levels away while you slept. Less drops, more grindX slow money. I doubt there is a market for that but for so I want to just spend a few days grinding old splitpaw to save up for an arbiters combine greatsword

There is something I miss about the work to actually get gear. I miss working my ass off knowing I’ll never buy a wurmslayer unless I got one in a raid when I max level and not everyone is full raid gear or beat droppable gear in 2 weeks. I’m also a masochist I think

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Forgive me if I’m stupid but have they done anything on a TLP that is like a true to day one eq combat and shit? Xo levels? Basically P99 but live? Or close to it. I wonder what kind of population you could have when you can’t max level in 24 hours. I doubt it would work. But there is something so appealing to me of the old days of spending a few days camping let’s say N Ro, Oasis, then Highpass etc where you would level slow as fuck but meet people for groups and you would see them many days in a row as you all kind of move up. I’ve made some friends on TLPs but usually on Alts that we are Pling in the POP era. Usually the current TLPs you have a nice level session and then look and the person either disappears, rerolls or caught an epic xp group and blew 30 levels away while you slept. Less drops, more grindX slow money. I doubt there is a market for that but for so I want to just spend a few days grinding old splitpaw to save up for an arbiters combine greatsword

There is something I miss about the work to actually get gear. I miss working my ass off knowing I’ll never buy a wurmslayer unless I got one in a raid when I max level and not everyone is full raid gear or beat droppable gear in 2 weeks. I’m also a masochist I think
They have never come anywhere close to it and probably never will.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

What kind of population can you get? I don't know, what's the pop of P99? About that.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Due to an OVERWHELMING number of applications to join the OFFICIAL forum FoH guild there will be about a two week delay before your acceptance/denial letter will be sent.

• 1Pants on Fire!

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Forgive me if I’m stupid but have they done anything on a TLP that is like a true to day one eq combat and shit? Xo levels? Basically P99 but live? Or close to it. I wonder what kind of population you could have when you can’t max level in 24 hours.

If we had a Zaide and a couple like-minded dudes plus a time machine I think getting to max level in vanilla would be super fast. True Vanilla had basically zero throttles of any kind. EQ is as much of any information game as it is an elf pixel simulator with quite the laundry list of imbalanced shit to abuse on top of just knowing where to go and what to do every step of the way.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah IDK about super fast but def lots of knowledge over the years on where to go and what to do. But still, OG EQ had some fucked up level curves along with the hell levels and shit. Not saying it would not be faster than back then but it would still take a while IMO.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Yeah IDK about super fast but def lots of knowledge over the years on where to go and what to do. But still, OG EQ had some fucked up level curves along with the hell levels and shit. Not saying it would not be faster than back then but it would still take a while IMO.

I just don't think so. The amount of fuckery with exp rates, normalization and bug fixes over the years is massive to get to where we are now where exp for anything is just kinda bad.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well depending on what this new server is all about I might join in the fun. I tried a few of these servers but it never stuck. But now that im working from home and have a shit ton of time to waste I just might.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
What kind of population can you get? I don't know, what's the pop of P99? About that.

I have to think it would beich larger but probably not enough by a long shot. But take people who don’t want to play on a home brew server or just people wanting to get friends together or don’t know about P99 etc etc I bet you could get a decent showing.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Well depending on what this new server is all about I might join in the fun. I tried a few of these servers but it never stuck. But now that im working from home and have a shit ton of time to waste I just might.

It's ten time easier to just go hard at launch (whatever that is for you) than slow roll it.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I have to think it would beich larger but probably not enough by a long shot. But take people who don’t want to play on a home brew server or just people wanting to get friends together or don’t know about P99 etc etc I bet you could get a decent showing.
Anybody who is this into the "hardcore" aspect of EQ is already on P99. There's no chance anybody "serious" about EQ doesn't know what that is.

• 2Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
The generation that loves that nostalgic feel also doesn't have the free time to get 1/4 of a level in 4 hours of grind time after waiting 90 minutes to get a group. P99 is purely a poopsocker fantasy for retired people and RMTers. The incremental increases people make on a daily play session is just too small for the average person playing EQ now.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
The baked in QOL upgrades make the TLP servers vastly superior to p99 in every way.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users