Eiyuden Chronicle

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Young m-m-m-aster!!!!

made out better than aeris- at least he didn’t lead me on. Did you ever get all 108?

Cukernaut

<Gold Donor>
Can we talk about how good suikoden music is though?
Pre battle - this still gets in my Head when I’m about to get wild
- scroll to “theme of the advancing army”

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Young m-m-m-aster!!!!

made out better than aeris- at least he didn’t lead me on. Did you ever get all 108?
I didn't, my IRL friend did though. I have a love/hate relationship with suikoden series because god damn is it pretty much impossible to 100% it blind but I love that style of turn based combat so I play and try to follow along a GameFAQ "missables" walkthrough without completely telling me where everything is. So pretty much like every JRPG.

I also would dig around the PS1 bins at GameStop when they still had them (circa like 2004) looking for rarer titles and I found a sleeve for Suikoden 2 and my little nerd heart skipped a beat. The employee told me it was out there by mistake and they didn't have it but to this day I'm pretty sure he realized what I knew and pocketed it himself.

Loved the sound design of at least Suik 1-3. I rented 4 from GameFly and pretty quickly returned it, just didn't hook me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Looks like some of the original Suik creators are making a spiritual successor called Eiyuden . There's a little bit of gameplay shown after the skit if you wanna skip ahead, looks asthetically pleasing like a more colorful Octopath.

Somewhat side note, this is the most well made Kickstarter post I have ever seen and really inspires a lot of confidence, no wonder they reached x10 their goal.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cukernaut

<Gold Donor>
I plan on reading the source inspiration "Water Margin" soon. Its been on my to do list for a long time. Considered one of the great chinese works of literature.

Ive been following Eiyuden and am excited about it. Another even more obscure game is getting re-released on switch soon: SaGa Frontier Remastered

If they brought back suikoden i would go wild

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Looks like some of the original Suik creators are making a spiritual successor called Eiyuden . There's a little bit of gameplay shown after the skit if you wanna skip ahead, looks asthetically pleasing like a more colorful Octopath.

Somewhat side note, this is the most well made Kickstarter post I have ever seen and really inspires a lot of confidence, no wonder they reached x10 their goal.

Yeah I'm excited about Eiyuden for sure. Suikoden 1 and 2 were two of the best RPGs of all time. Never got 108 in any of them but I did have a blast otherwise. And those soundtracks, My God. Suikoden 3 was kind of mediocre and mainly coasted off of the first two for me. Also the fact that it was one of the last games I got during the era where I could only afford one game at a time (meaning I was much more likely to stick with something / overvalue the mediocre). Played the rest much later (like 12 years later). Suikoden 4 was flat-out terrible, might have liked it in-era. Suikoden Tactics was decent but forgettable, and Suikoden 5 was aight. It did everything it could to recapture the mood of the first two, and is easily the best of the post-2 games, but it never really grabbed me.

I plan on reading the source inspiration "Water Margin" soon. Its been on my to do list for a long time. Considered one of the great chinese works of literature.

Ive been following Eiyuden and am excited about it. Another even more obscure game is getting re-released on switch soon: SaGa Frontier Remastered

If they brought back suikoden i would go wild

SaGa Frontier was amazing in 1998 when I played it, another game with an incredible soundtrack. Not sure if I want to play it again in this day and age though, have a feeling a lot of the mechanics / design haven't aged well. There's a lot of grinding and running around getting lost. I like the SaGa-style games a lot (FF2, FFL1 and 2, Romancing SaGa 3) but I don't know if I've got it in me to replay one I've already played. More likely to just leave the memories alone. Romancing SaGa 2 actually got a PS4 (and probably other systems) remaster back in 2019 or so that flew totally under the radar, and it looks great. If I'm gonna play a remastered SaGa I'll prolly go with that since it'd be new to me.

Cukernaut

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'm excited about Eiyuden for sure. Suikoden 1 and 2 were two of the best RPGs of all time. Never got 108 in any of them but I did have a blast otherwise. And those soundtracks, My God. Suikoden 3 was kind of mediocre and mainly coasted off of the first two for me. Also the fact that it was one of the last games I got during the era where I could only afford one game at a time (meaning I was much more likely to stick with something / overvalue the mediocre). Played the rest much later (like 12 years later). Suikoden 4 was flat-out terrible, might have liked it in-era. Suikoden Tactics was decent but forgettable, and Suikoden 5 was aight. It did everything it could to recapture the mood of the first two, and is easily the best of the post-2 games, but it never really grabbed me.

SaGa Frontier was amazing in 1998 when I played it, another game with an incredible soundtrack. Not sure if I want to play it again in this day and age though, have a feeling a lot of the mechanics / design haven't aged well. There's a lot of grinding and running around getting lost. I like the SaGa-style games a lot (FF2, FFL1 and 2, Romancing SaGa 3) but I don't know if I've got it in me to replay one I've already played. More likely to just leave the memories alone. Romancing SaGa 2 actually got a PS4 (and probably other systems) remaster back in 2019 or so that flew totally under the radar, and it looks great. If I'm gonna play a remastered SaGa I'll prolly go with that since it'd be new to me.

There are some fun ways to break SUIKO1 and SAGA hard and fast in the beginning. Scrap shop trick for SAGA, Marco Cups Trick for Suikoden. You can get big bux early on and buy wild gear that you arent supposed to have and be OP and steamroll.

Im 10/10 ready to play Suikoden 1 again the moment I ever get my hands on it

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
There are some fun ways to break SUIKO1 and SAGA hard and fast in the beginning. Scrap shop trick for SAGA, Marco Cups Trick for Suikoden. You can get big bux early on and buy wild gear that you arent supposed to have and be OP and steamroll.

Im 10/10 ready to play Suikoden 1 again the moment I ever get my hands on it

Sounds like knowing the tricks would give me a reason to replay SF. I remember grinding certain moves to learn the Dream Super Combo (which could like, one-shot almost everything) the first time around. However only some of the scenarios have a character that can learn it (maybe 4/7 of them?) so you're still on your own for the others. Diva (the hardest final boss IIRC) still took a bunch of DSCs to beat.

Also remember farming money somewhere so I could get Powered Suits for everyone, 5200 GP, best buyable armor I think? I did this over...and over...and over.

Yoooo it looks like they added a new 8th scenario character to SF. Well, now I might have to get it after all...

Cukernaut

<Gold Donor>
Sounds like knowing the tricks would give me a reason to replay SF. I remember grinding certain moves to learn the Dream Super Combo (which could like, one-shot almost everything) the first time around. However only some of the scenarios have a character that can learn it (maybe 4/7 of them?) so you're still on your own for the others. Diva (the hardest final boss IIRC) still took a bunch of DSCs to beat.

Also remember farming money somewhere so I could get Powered Suits for everyone, 5200 GP, best buyable armor I think? I did this over...and over...and over.

Yoooo it looks like they added a new 8th scenario character to SF. Well, now I might have to get it after all...

Scrap shop gets you early viable gear that can get you TO end game, plus money farming that allows you to get to gold ingot infinite money trick.

T260-G ultimate form was amazing, DSC is always nice. You didn't need it for a bunch of stuff like Blue and Lute's scenarios - super easy.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Scrap shop gets you early viable gear that can get you TO end game, plus money farming that allows you to get to gold ingot infinite money trick.

T260-G ultimate form was amazing, DSC is always nice. You didn't need it for a bunch of stuff like Blue and Lute's scenarios - super easy.

I don't remember T260-G ultimate form, was that a secret or something you got in the story?

One of the things I remember most vividly about SaGa Frontier is the endgame of Blue's scenario and how incredibly atmospheric that last city was. Especially the giant (topless?) statues of scantily-clad women, that part was great for teenage me.

Lute's scenario was kind of bizarre. It was like a half hour long in terms of actual story, with the only issue being that the final bosses were virtually impossible at the starting point. So that half hour became a normal 10-hour scenario as you ran around building up your characters to be able to do the dungeon/bosses. I think they ran out of time and just sorta threw Lute's scenario together.

Only scenario I remember really not liking (besides Lute's lack of content, I guess) was Riki. I've never been into the monster characters in SaGa games, going all the way back to FFL1 and 2 where they were absolutely atrocious. Mutants were the way to go in those.

Welp, the Suikoden thread has been hijacked by SaGa Frontier

Cukernaut

<Gold Donor>
Getting things back on track - they launched a merch shop:

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Getting things back on track - they launched a merch shop:

Konami did Suikoden dirty, TBH. I'm just glad we live in a world where game designers can jump ship from these companies and make their own follow-ups (Suikoden, Castlevania, etc).

One good thing about Suikoden III was Chris:

1617522146330.png

What a babe. There were quite a few Suiko-babes as I recall. Jeane certainly springs to mind too.

• 1Like

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
S3 is one of the games I want remastered most. It came out in the super ugly 3d era so it looks like ass today and is really clunky. The story was pretty good by the end, but could use a bit more callbacks to 1/2. It had some fun characters, and some really good music on the soundtrack. I liked the whole knight crew, Geddoe and his crew with the true lightning rune, and of course the axe duck.

For some reason I remember liking it at least as much as 1, but not as much as 2.

2 > 1 = 3 > 5 > Tactics >>>> 4

• 1Like

Cukernaut

<Gold Donor>
I’ve beaten 1 multiple times (like 5 maybe?) 3 twice, and 2 only once a long time ago. I probably need to go back and hit 2 again.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I’ve beaten 1 multiple times (like 5 maybe?) 3 twice, and 2 only once a long time ago. I probably need to go back and hit 2 again.

I replayed 1 and 2 about five years ago and for whatever reason 2 didn't hold up as well. YMMV.

S3 is one of the games I want remastered most. It came out in the super ugly 3d era so it looks like ass today and is really clunky. The story was pretty good by the end, but could use a bit more callbacks to 1/2. It had some fun characters, and some really good music on the soundtrack. I liked the whole knight crew, Geddoe and his crew with the true lightning rune, and of course the axe duck.

For some reason I remember liking it at least as much as 1, but not as much as 2.

2 > 1 = 3 > 5 > Tactics >>>> 4

For me it's 1>2>5>3>Tactics>>>>>4

Wasn't there a semi-dogshit mobile Suikoden later on too?

Suiko 3 remastered would be great. These companies are sitting on an absolute gold mine of PS2 and 3 era games to remaster on current gen, given how much nostalgia there is for 2000's era games now. I'd love to see Xenosaga Trilogy Remastered (with the battle system of 2 fixed), or Dark Souls Trilogy Remastered, or Final Fantasy 13 Trilogy Remastered (I'm one of the people who really liked those games). Though for me the holy grail at this point is Metroid Prime Trilogy Remastered and I think we'll actually get that. Would also like Shadow Hearts 1+2 Remastered. I've got both and they're great, but I never finished either because the visuals are just so rough in the HDTV era.

I liked the axe duck too, that guy was cool. The True Runes were a really fun component of the story, every time someone new showed up with a True Rune you knew they were serious business.

• 1Like