ESPN 30 for 30 - Bo Jackson

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Did anyone else catch the episode with Bo Jackson Saturday? We had a discussion about it for a while on the old board. I saw it and thought it was pretty good. Found this today. I saw him play baseball in college. I assume I saw him play football in college against LSU but it doesn't stand out. I did see him him hit an opposite field home run over the wall, over 2 rows of parked cars, and across a 4 lane road (with median) and hit a car parked on the opposite side while playing against LSU. It was the longest homerun I ever saw in the stadium and that includes Albert/Joey Bell and some others that included the all time SEC home run leader etc...

ESPN's latest installment of its 30 for 30 documentary series centered around former Auburn star Bo Jackson, an athlete that captured the attention of America during his career. Jackson apparently still has the ability to keep viewers glued to their screens as "You Don't Know Bo" became the highest-rated documentary ever to air on ESPN, according the Nielsen Company's statistics.

The film, which aired on Saturday night immediately following the Heisman Trophy ceremony, earned a 2.3 metered market rating during its premiere showing, topping ESPN's previous documentary record of 2.0 for its Michigan basketball doc The Fab Five.

Not surprisingly, Birmingham topped all markets for the film with a 7.9 rating.

You Don?t Know Bo will re-air on Wednesday, Dec.12, at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN2.

Caught the last half hour or whatever of this over the weekend. I liked the part at the end where they emphasize that the only player to be selected to an All Star Game and a Pro Bowl isn't in the HoF of either sport. Obviously the injury ruined any chances of him ever having a long enough career to make it...but I'm surprised he just doesn't have a bust somewhere anyway. Pretty sure there's a very high likelihood that there will never ever be another Bo Jackson. That's gotta mean something.

Borzak

One thing that only touched on was when he started playing pro baseball he was a freak in size. That was still back in the days of the thought that you couldn't play baseball if you were msucular because you wouldn't be fast enough or agile enough. You look at guys back in the 80's and they look like sticks.

Even Barry Bonds looked normal in size back then.

barry-bonds-normal.jpg

barry-bonds-normal.jpg

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Yes. It was fantastic but I love Bo. I have his starting lineup (Royals) from 89 on my office desk now for the past 11 years. I STILL have people pick him up and start conversations about Bo. It's so cliche but my love of Bo started with Tecmo Bowl. I remember crying when I heard on TV back in the day when he was going to have surgery for what turned out to be a career ender to his hip. I still argue (totally biased of course!) that he was the best running back ever. He may not have had the stats to back my claim, but goddamn we'll never know will we?

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
That weird part of the show where they talked about had he come along just a few years later we would've suspected steroids, I don't know why he gets a total pass about it.

I mean I'm not saying he did anything, but it seems weird that it wouldn't even be questioned now. Did you see what he looked like in the Nike commercial? jesus he looked like an american gladiator

Borzak

The year he entered the NFL was the first year they started testing for steroids. If he used steroids he did it better, smarter, longer and with less side effects than any athlete I've seen.

He was a beast, that's what really made him stand out because he really doesn't have the numbers that make you say wow. I don't know if he did or not, but if he did he must have started early in middle school and continued for a long time. He didn't magically bulk up like big head Bonds and even long after his career was over he has stayed pretty damn big unlike some ex players who lost a lot of it after their playing career was over.

Sterling

El Presidente
Still only guy with 2 90+ yard runs in the NFL. Kind of a random stat pulled out of nowhere, but still.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Bo is easily one of the greatest and most gifted athletes of our generation, shame it was all cut short. Dude was just awesome to watch.