European Politics Thread

AngryGerbil

PC NPC
<Donors Crew>
Reactions
17,348 1,020 0 0
Please bitch, there is no such thing as national solidarity, never mind international solidarity.

Very few people are willing to donate money towards helping members of their own community, how is anyone realistically expecting them to empathize with people living hundreds of miles away?
hundredsofmiles.jpg

Gask

Lord Nagafen Raider
15d 3h 49m
Reactions
1,883 491 0 0
Sinn Fein, bitches!

I think there is some sort of discord there though. Ireland just recently legalized abortion, I know. But there was something about the Republic and the EU/Brexit that was briefly touched on and sounded like shennanigans.

Ireland gonna rise up and throw off the yoke of their oppressors!

Except not really. They're too busy trying to be a tax haven for American banks for any of that nonsense, i think. Really not the worst plan they could come up with.
Look at them all sucking up to Barnier, condemning the UK and praising the EU to high heaven. Also the obligatory condemnation of nationalism as being responsible for everything wrong with the 20th century.

Last edited:

iannis

Chairman Meow
<Donors Crew>
6d 12h 1m
Reactions
12,932 541 0 0
That all sounds reasonable enough to me. I'm not sure that the prosperity he's talking about is sustainable, but that's his risk to mitigate. If he thinks it's the better bet he just thinks it's the better bet. No shennanigans there.

Oh, I see why I was thinking shenannigans. Major derp on my part. I was mixing up the Irelands. LOL.

Last edited:

Locnar

Knight of the Realm
4d 14h 9m
Reactions
242 32 0 0
Please bitch, there is no such thing as national solidarity, never mind international solidarity.

Very few people are willing to donate money towards helping members of their own community, how is anyone realistically expecting them to empathize with people living hundreds of miles away?

I don't blame you for thinking that, since you come from a artificial country made up to keep some french and dutch land separated from those respective countries that is now filling up with Moroccans. But people from true nation states (either ethno states like Italy, Greece, France or culturally strong states that assimilate their citizens like the USA) feel a certain kinship with their fellow citizens and will help them at need.

Wait, now that England is leaving the EU maybe they can drop their old demands that led to fake buffer state Belgium being created and finally let it be dismembered?

Punko

<Donor All-Stars>
10d 11h 44m
Reactions
925 1,002 0 0
I don't blame you for thinking that, since you come from a artificial country made up to keep some french and dutch land separated from those respective countries that is now filling up with Moroccans. But people from true nation states (either ethno states like Italy, Greece, France or culturally strong states that assimilate their citizens like the USA) feel a certain kinship with their fellow citizens and will help them at need.

Wait, now that England is leaving the EU maybe they can drop their old demands that led to fake buffer state Belgium being created and finally let it be dismembered?
How many of your fellow US homeless wakandans do you support?

Lanx

Aten Ha Ra Slayer
38d 7h 59m
Reactions
23,226 4,495 0 0
  • Lanx

Lanx

Sure, it could. Here's the perfect place. Ossoi has a spare room set just for that.

Jersey is just a properly named UK huh?

Fucking all these shires up on that hobbit bitch, Chukzombi Chukzombi imagine living in Passaicshire and going to work in Hudsonshire?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Donor All-Stars>
14d 2h 47m
Reactions
2,425 66 0 0
If the government has to regulate rent prices then there's a problem. Rent should be dictated by supply/demand.
Besides, controlled rent is well known to generate problems on its own. Basically, since you remove every incentive, landlords stop trying to improve their housing or surrounding or anything else, since they won't be able to capitalize on the improving conditions. It's even bad for the government itself, since a good landlord might support taxes that lead to the improvement of infrastructure (and of the value of his property), but if he can't get anything back, even a rational landlord will fully oppose anything that might improve his property area...

Controlled rent is a concept that should only apply to government-owned properties...

TJT

Adrenaline Junkie
<Donors Crew>
Reactions
33,687 817 0 0
  • TJT

TJT

Besides, controlled rent is well known to generate problems on its own. Basically, since you remove every incentive, landlords stop trying to improve their housing or surrounding or anything else, since they won't be able to capitalize on the improving conditions. It's even bad for the government itself, since a good landlord might support taxes that lead to the improvement of infrastructure (and of the value of his property), but if he can't get anything back, even a rational landlord will fully oppose anything that might improve his property area...

Controlled rent is a concept that should only apply to government-owned properties...
In places like New York they get the opposite problem. Rent controlled places are sometimes inevitably gobbled up by rich people who lockdown the property for generations. Then improve it dramatically while enjoying paying almost nothing in taxes or rent for the location.

19d 8h 25m
Reactions
9,441 224 0 0
Jesus lets his priests do it for him.
There's a shadow on your soul brother. I know because I used to be just like you...cynical and condescending. I will think a good thought for you this morning. Remember, Jesus loves you anyway.

Lanx

Aten Ha Ra Slayer
38d 7h 59m
Reactions
23,226 4,495 0 0
  • Lanx

Lanx

In places like New York they get the opposite problem. Rent controlled places are sometimes inevitably gobbled up by rich people who lockdown the property for generations. Then improve it dramatically while enjoying paying almost nothing in taxes or rent for the location.
yup, thats the reason why chinatown/little italy still looks 100years old

apartments are rent controlled, i remember visiting a friend in High School, their apt was 250sq/ft (this is what i've translated it to) and they paid 200bucks a month for a family for 4, with no shower or bathtub, just took your shower in the sink.

fanaskin

Well known Agitator
36d 7h 3m
Reactions
52,269 3,410 0 0
I met all 15 of them.
the REAL problem doesn't even come from them ironically, even if muslims can be culturally converted easier than religiously converted because islam is multicultural, the middle east arab muslims are often thought as representhing all muslims but really should be referred to as arabs if that's all you mean.

The societal wrecking problem is the mosques funded by massive oil wealth and controlled from middle east with hand picked imams whose whole mission is to spread some filth version of islam come (they've been there for a long time btew in europe, with their sharia clubs and such) and they corrupt the muslim youth so it will never matter how nice you treat muslims, they'll use emotional manipulation at a very young age to create their soldiers, that's how it's been done for millennia, the key is getting them young when they'll believe anything you tell them that's always been a key in religion btw.

one thought is at the end of the day the filth has a real hard time existing in your country without the commoners existing to support them no matter how nice and well integrated they are.

Last edited:
16d 59m
Reactions
1,194 132 0 0
Here's what's actually happening in France (from an American in Paris)

It's important to note that the majority of protestors are middle aged, these are not college or university students, who make up the usual French protests. This is a grassroots protest. It's been reported anywhere from 50-80% of the French support the gilets jaunes. This is NOT just about taxes.

The protests began over the new taxes imposed by Macron's government on fuel. The taxes are viewed as punishing those who use cars and those who can't afford to buy newer ones. The French already pay heavy taxes on fuel, along with high tolls on highways. Every car in France is required to have 2 high visibility vests (gilets jaunes). The protestors began wearing those vests while protesting.

Along with this, the cost of living is incredibly high while salaries are painfully low, especially in larger cities like Paris. The myth of government-ordered 35 hour work weeks isn't the reality for most salaried French people. Taxes eat huge chunks of their money and the French are fed up with making the same amount in their salaries as those who don't work at all and rely on government assistance.

Parts of France are also filled with unassimilated migrants. These migrants get government assistance as well. A large part of the French are sick of paying for migrants when French people are suffering as well. There are areas that have stopped being culturally French and cities the French avoid for holidays because of the migrant problem.

In addition to this, retired people have been lodging their dissatisfaction with their retirement pensions (one woman in a video circulating around French Facebook confronts Macron about having to live off of 500€ a month) and Macron's reactions have been condescending across the board. He currently has about a 26% approval rating.

All of this started bubbling up a few weeks ago as the protests began with the gilets jaunes in November. The protests last weekend got violent. Statues at the Arc De Triomphe were broken; the Arc was defaced. In Marseille, an 80 year old woman was killed as she was closing her shutters. The police threw a tear gas canister at her window. While outside of larger cities, many police officers and firefighters are taking off their helmets and/or standing in solidarity with the gilets jaunes. There have been reports that they have also refused to shake Macron's hand and have turned their backs to government officials while serving in official capacities.

On Monday (December 2), there was a protest by the ambulances in Paris. They stood at Concorde with lights flashing and sirens sounding. Truck drivers have also showed their solidarity. They have also driven through Paris with lights flashing to show their dissatisfaction. Roads have been closed down by gilets jaunes and they are blocking access of oil in both ports and at stations. As of posting, over 650 stations are on a list of facing shortages or out of fuel. During yesterday's news cycle, many truck drivers were seen disrupting broadcasts by honking in solidarity with the gilets jaunes.

On Tuesday (December 3), the French government spoke about their plans for "appeasement" of the gilets jaunes. Their offer was to postpone the start date of 3 taxes (related to fuel). This offer has been scoffed at by the gilets jaunes, who have called it "crumbs" as the taxes haven't even been implemented yet and the offer does nothing to address the issues regarding cost of living.

Along with this, the French have begun demanding that Macron refuse to sign the UN Migration Act on December 10. This has begun appearing across the Facebook groups and events but has not been widely reported in the French media as far as I can tell.

This has culminated in everything from demands Macron step down to the creation of the 6th Republic. There are protests planned for Saturday across France. The protestors are calling the Paris protests ACT 4. They are quoting from the French National Anthem ("Aux Armes Citoyens") and planning to protest at Bastille. The medical community is also participating in the protests on Saturday.

TLDR: This is bigger than taxes. These aren't your usual French protests.
What's puzzling to me is why they don't understand that it's the leftist policies they continually voted for, and probably will still vote for, that got them in this mess.

16d 59m
Reactions
1,194 132 0 0
The stuff about "These migrants get government assistance as well. A large part of the French are sick of paying for migrants when French people are suffering as well " is a myth call by far right propaganda on several place (social media basically).
How are these migrants in France, the vast majority without jobs I assume, getting by without government assistance?