European Politics Thread

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
<Donors Crew>
22d 20h 16m
Listen guys, it's fairly obvious that we're a bit like the Soviet Union and if we're not careful we're going to share their fate.

Keep voting for the NKVD and I promise you all peace, land, and bread.
Look at Glutenous Maximus over here, trying to give our dietary challenged brethren a runs for their money. Sir, gluten free doesn't mean they want your free gluten!

Asshat Xequecal

Asshat 2018
48d 6h 11m
All the more reason to ensure that my European vacation hits Budapest. It might be more European than London by the time I get there.
I'm surprised by your level of support for Orban given his desire to create an "illiberal democracy" where political rights are reserved for Christians only. I mean, Islam is shit so pushing that out only makes sense, but Orban wants to push out all other religions and the irreligious.

• Salty
Reactions: chthonic-anemos

TJT

Adrenaline Junkie
<Donors Crew>
I'm surprised by your level of support for Orban given his desire to create an "illiberal democracy" where political rights are reserved for Christians only. I mean, Islam is shit so pushing that out only makes sense, but Orban wants to push out all other religions and the irreligious.
I no longer give a shit. Clearly, they took a note from history that you can be too liberal and let the piece of shit Muslims encroach on your territory as they have in the past 50 years. You need to curb it somehow or, given enough time, since Muslims breed like rabbits they will eventually have a dominant segment of the population.

We only see the beginnings of it today. But there is a reason our ancestors shit on Muslims for centuries untold. Nobody cared about the odd Muslim or two in Europe over the centuries. It's the hordes that cause the problems. Better kill that shit off now to prevent it from being an unavoidable catastrophe in the future.

The day Muslim society actually has some redeeming qualities I'll give a shit about their freedom. Giving Christianity a preferential treatment in this way is a means to restore its power as an institution. Which you know well has waned significantly in the past century in Europe and the USA. Separation of Church and state aside we have gone too far to one side.

Asshat Xequecal

Asshat 2018
48d 6h 11m
I no longer give a shit. Clearly, they took a note from history that you can be too liberal and let the piece of shit Muslims encroach on your territory as they have in the past 50 years. You need to curb it somehow or, given enough time, since Muslims breed like rabbits they will eventually have a dominant segment of the population.

We only see the beginnings of it today. But there is a reason our ancestors shit on Muslims for centuries untold. Nobody cared about the odd Muslim or two in Europe over the centuries. It's the hordes that cause the problems. Better kill that shit off now to prevent it from being an unavoidable catastrophe in the future.

The day Muslim society actually has some redeeming qualities I'll give a shit about their freedom. Giving Christianity a preferential treatment in this way is a means to restore its power as an institution. Which you know well has waned significantly in the past century in Europe and the USA. Separation of Church and state aside we have gone too far to one side.
I'm more worried about how Orban is going to treat atheists and Jews. So far it's not looking great.

TJT

Adrenaline Junkie
<Donors Crew>
I'm more worried about how Orban is going to treat atheists and Jews. So far it's not looking great.
When the pendulum swings too far one way the other direction is going to hurt. Such as it is. Jews and atheists will adapt. They are also the extreme minority in the context of what Orban is trying to prevent here. Not sure why you are just ignoring that. Better compromise the whole plan because a few Jews and atheists will be inconvenienced!

Yeah no.

Asshat Xequecal

Asshat 2018
48d 6h 11m
When the pendulum swings too far one way the other direction is going to hurt. Such as it is. Jews and atheists will adapt. They are also the extreme minority in the context of what Orban is trying to prevent here. Not sure why you are just ignoring that. Better compromise the whole plan because a few Jews and atheists will be inconvenienced!

Yeah no.
Why do you consider changing the plan from "no non-Christians" to "no Muslims" to be compromising the plan? That seems like a much better plan to me. The irreligious are also not an extreme minority in Hungary.

Reactions: Chanur

Gurgeh

Vyemm Raider
41d 19h 43m
"Liberals" have pushed their degenerate shit so far, that even the most secular democracies (i.e. European countries) are starting to think that Christian Religion aren't so bad after all. Today in France, kids in public school will have to fill forms that say "Parent 1 and Parent 2" rather than "Father and Mother". It's something that homosexual couples didn't ask, at all. It's purely a leftist militants move, that's the accumulation of things like that that gets you the kind of leadership that makes Soros cry at night.

It's vey much like the left is trying to prove that being tolerant cannot work, and that anything left Putin (that include Trump, he's just too nice) gets you on a slippery slope to the abyss. Trump is the "guy on the left" for the 21th century, deal with it.

Last edited:

Siddar

Vyemm Raider
23d 23h 53m
Man, I keep hearing that the GEOTUS was mocking Trump. But if someone building me a 150 foot tall God Emperor of Mankind in my likeness, complete with a compliment of Space Marines and scantily clad Sisters of Silence is wrong... then I don't wanna be right.
It maybe another failed attempt at meming by the left. They saw this pro Trump meme and decided to try an steal it. Instead they built a five story idol of Trump that all his follower think is cool.

sadris

<Donors Crew>
53d 18h 3m
You must judge a tree by its fruits, not the intention of the arborist.

We tried the fruit of pluralism, and that fruit is rotten.

iannis

Chairman Meow
<Donors Crew>
31d 19h 36m
Why do you consider changing the plan from "no non-Christians" to "no Muslims" to be compromising the plan? That seems like a much better plan to me. The irreligious are also not an extreme minority in Hungary.
I mean it's not great, but it's a hard line approach to begin with. TOlerance for other faiths is in the gospels. Subjugation of other faiths is in the koran.

You can point to blood libel and the inquisition and I won't call you wrong.

Between two bad choices, one is the better deal for atheists and jews.

I don't love that rhetoric as a christian, but I get it.

Gask

Blackwing Lair Raider
29d 5h 53m
Austria Bans Symbols of Muslim Brotherhood, PKK, Turkish Grey Wolves
In total 13 flags and symbols fall under the new ban including the neo-fascist Grey Wolves from Turkey, the terrorist Kurdistan Worker’s Party (PKK), and the Muslim Brotherhood which originates in Egypt. The ban, which comes into effect on March 1st, extends to anyone displaying the flags or symbols in public and subjects them to a fine of up to 4,000 euros and up to 10,000 euros for repeat offenders.

The plan to ban the symbols was a joint effort between the two parties of the ruling conservative-populist coalition of the Austrian People’s Party (ÖVP) and the Austrian Freedom Party (FPÖ) and comes after extremist symbols of Islamic State and the Al-Qaeda were previously banned.

Exemptions to the ban will apply for those not using the symbols to endorse the groups they represent including use for media, films, exhibitions, and academic use.
Austria: European girls in some parts of Vienna are wearing headscarves to avoid harassment
Marcus Franz, a physician and former MP from the conservative Austrian People’s Party created outrage on social media after he said the non-Muslim European girls in Vienna have started to wear Islamic headscarves so as to prevent street harassment and assault by male Muslim migrants.

During an appearance last week on OE24, a local Austrian television station, Franz stated, “Speak with women on the street, speak with children, speak with young girls. I myself know fathers who, when their daughters come home in the evening when they live in the problem area, give them headscarves so they won’t be recognized as Austrians. I know this personally, in the 15th district of Vienna, this is a fact.”

Franz added that European girls who don’t wear Islamic headscarves were being “propositioned with unpleasant aggression and attitudes, and the girls and women, quite simply, are afraid. You can see it in the population if you work in a social profession like me”, Franz remarked. “We need to distinguish clearly between the settled population and those who have arrived more recently.”

Gask

Blackwing Lair Raider
29d 5h 53m
France says relations with Italy 'lowest since Second World War' as Paris recalls ambassador to Rome
This was by far the most caustic flare-up between Paris and Rome since Italy’s anti-establishment Five Star Movement and far-right League party came to power in a coalition government in June. The Italian coalition partners had been baiting the Macron administration for months following his blunt call to fight populist movements among EU members, which he likened to “leprosy”.

At first, France kept a certain hauteur, dismissing the sniping as domestic politicking and saying it would not lower itself to fight in a “stupidity contest”. But the Gallic gloves finally came off after Italy's deputy prime minister and Five Star chief Luigi Di Maio met with "yellow vest" anti-government protesters outside Paris on Tuesday.

Announcing his intention to join forces in European Parliament elections in May with the “gilets jaunes”, many of whom loathe Mr Macron, Mr Di Maio boasted on Twitter that "The wind of change has crossed the Alps."

Mr Di Maio had already lauded the yellow vests as the birth of a “new Europe” of “direct democracy” against its cosseted elites. Launching an even more blunt attack against Mr Macron last month, Mr Di Maio’s fellow deputy prime minister, Matteo Salvini, said: "I hope the French will be able to free themselves of a terrible president.”

"The opportunity will come on May 26 (the European elections) when finally the French people will be able to take back control of their future, destiny, (and) pride, which are poorly represented by a character like Macron", he said on Facebook.
Italy explores its own bilateral Brexit deal with Britain as its economic crisis nears danger level
The UK is Italy’s third largest food products market, after Germany and the United States, accounting for €23 billion (£20bn/$26bn) annually — a bilateral surplus of €10 billion (£8.8bn/$11.3bn).

The country’s coalition government of the right-populist League and anti-establishment Five Star Movement (M5S) is worried that the European Commission’s inflexible attitude to Brexit will come at a cost of EU member state Italy with Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte telling his Brexit Task Force to examine the impact a no-deal will have on trade, ports, and customs.

“We want the closest possible bilateral ties with the UK and certainly don’t agree with any idea of punishment. You are our customer,” the League’s economics spokesman, Claudio Borghi, said. “Unfortunately we are not in charge of Europe, at least not yet,” Mr Borghi added.

The Italians are also worried that under WTO, the UK would have access to a wider market for goods, including from North Africa, South Africa, and Central America for many of foods they traditionally buy from Italy within the EU’s Single Market. “What worries us about Brexit is that exporters in the rest of the world will come in and undercut us. This is what happened after the Russia sanctions in 2014. The Turks grabbed our market share,” said Ettore Prandini, the head of Coldiretti, which is Italy’s agro-industrial federation.
National Strike Grips Belgium, Canceling Flights and Shutting Breweries
A national strike in Belgium over pay and working conditions has led to the cancellation of all flights in and out of the country, halted public transport and prompted blockades outside factories, threatening to bring the country to a standstill on Wednesday. The 24-hour strike began at 10 p.m. Tuesday, with Belgium’s three main workers’ unions galvanizing their nearly four million members — in a country of about 11 million people — to stop working.

Government workers also joined the strike, prompting a number of public schools, nurseries and sports facilities to close. Prison guards went on strike and were replaced by police officers in most prisons. Workers are protesting slow pay raises, which will be limited to 0.8 percent over the next year, he said, and demanding that the government take action.

In Belgium, limits for pay and working conditions are negotiated by workers’ unions and business groups on an annual basis. The government usually translates those terms into policy and law, though some flexibility remains for individual companies to set their own terms. The socioeconomic model is known as Rhine capitalism and exists in Germany, France and other Northern European countries.

It is not clear if any steps will be taken soon to address the workers’ demands because the Belgian federal government fell in December when it lost its majority in Parliament after its biggest coalition partner, the right-wing Flemish party, left in opposition to the planned signing of an international agreement on migration.

The country is being led by a caretaker government with a minority in Parliament at least until elections in May. A general strike during the tenure of a caretaker government is unprecedented, experts say.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Donor All-Stars>
61d 9h 25m
so if I actually take the time to look this up, they are actively booting out atheists and jews? that's what you're saying?

• Thoughts & Prayers