Everquest AMA with Holly Windstalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintermute

<Charitable Administrator>
Holly Windstalker has graciously offered to do an AMA with us about Everquest. This will happen a lot like we did the Pantheon one where you guys write all your questions in this thread and then I will compile them and she will get us answers on the things she can.

Your questions won't be answered if they are stupid I bet but I'm not telling you to not ask anything if it really moves you.

She will make an account later and post in the answer thread.

Ask away for both EQ1 and EQ2.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
1. Have they ever considered enabling and creating some heroes forge armor textures for the classic models, even if it was race specific and player made like the weapons.

2. If they can’t give us old Freeport back have they ever thought about a second revamp more in the theme of the original, they did a good job in so many zones like commons but Freeport changes too much.

3. Necro dot revamp, ever happening? Other revamps seemed so successful.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
1. Does Remdag still work there?
2. Will you ever put in a fix to stop people from using certain VM softwares, that arent blocked by the current code, on truebox?
3. Do your gms actually ban people? I've seen the same 48 boxer in sirens grotto 24/7 for 2 months. (this relates to question 2 also)
4. PVP server?

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
1. Will they consider reopening EQmac the Alkabor server?

(I expect all her answers to every single question we ask to be either NO or Maybe)

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thank you for answering these questions, I know some of them will be tough. I see daybreak doing lots of things for quick cash, bags, mounts, lifetime memberships. Will Everquest still be around in another 5 years?

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Picard

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Dear Holly,

Thanks for joining us for a bit!

When comparing subs for current live servers vs. TLPs, do the numbers indicate that your overall playerbase prefer older, classic content to newer content? If the answer is yes, how do you think the Everquest team, moving forward, can keep the "old game" fresh, exciting, and relevant?

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Are EQNext questions kosher for this? If so, there's one I've been curious about ever since the game was canceled. One of the big features that was pitched for EQN was adaptive AI that would react to what was going on in the world around it. While voxels felt like they could be a neat gimmick, the AI stuff felt to me like something that could legitimately transform the genre, if it could deliver. So I've wondered since the cancelation: was there ever substantial progress made on that AI system in EQN's development? Was there something actually functioning, or did it never really make it past the idea stage?

Assuming that system was at all viable, I'd love to see someone take another swing at it someday.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Hello holly, I’m playing my fifth tlp now and still have no interest in live or approaching later expansions. with the complete isolation of two different player bases with Eq, have you guys considered the fact that you effectively have two different games? Have you considered building net new “tlp “ era expansions for people in your base like me?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Mick

<Gold Donor>
Are there any plans for engine updates or enhancements on either game, ie fullscreen borderless windowed game play?

• 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Have you ever considered allowing the vast EQEmu community join forces with Daybreak to create a better product?

There are a ton of us who understand the game client and server code just as well, and better in some areas, than some of the current developers on the EverQuest team. This is not a slight against them - we'd love to be able to help them, but because Daybreak is so shrouded in mystery and set in their ways (No one can really afford San Diego, Cliques)

When I heard that Al'Kabor would never be considered to be recreated for PC due to development time needed to be invested, I immediately thought of the EQ emulator folks because they are some of the most passionate fans that would be capable of bringing such an old client up to speed. If you take a look at The Al'Kabor Project, they have done tremendous work on restoring the game to 2002 with a high level of accuracy. Unfortunately, their client lacks modern features such as DirectX9, framerate limiting and other optimizations over the years. These of course are being worked around, but having access to the client code would make a night and day difference for quality. To be honest, we don't need the server or database - EQEmu has faithfully recreated the server code and the content without all of the exploits present in Live EQ.

It would also set the standard for an era-appropriate client being used on Project 1999, whom you guys already have an agreement with, and could potentially monetize - I am certain that Project 1999 would benefit from a higher standard of customer support (Having actual Daybreak GMs would be a good start) and your investors would love some extra money for flipping a switch on.

I would honestly be willing to bet if anyone could spin up a TLE/TLP/Expansion-locked server with the ruleset they like and the content they like using EQEmulator as a framework, that it would be extremely profitable and fun for the players if monetized behind Daybreak's All-Access.

So my questions really are these:
1) Would it be possible to formalize a partnership with EQEmulator? Why or why not?
2) EQEmulator is much more stable than the live servers. Would Daybreak be open to using the free, open-source software for any future projects?
3) Is there any interest in bringing back a modernized 'Classic EverQuest' similar to what World of Warcraft is doing - ie; keeping mechanics the same for the era instead of guestimating them?
4) Why is Daybreak afraid of having remote contractors? Feldon from EQ2Wire had asked for years to work with Daybreak, but he would have to move to San Diego, and would have been a very valuable asset in expanding the EQ2 Census project.
5) Are there any plans to revert the revamped zones (IE; Freeport) for any future TLPs? They are pretty high up there on the complaint list by most.
6) Why are developer resources being spent on EQ1/EQ2 expansions when a very small portion of your active subscribers will even see that content?

Last edited:
  • 2Like

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Have you guys ever received emails from someone promoting browser-based EQ?

• 31Worf
  • 2Like
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 34 users

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Are you considering a partnership with Taco Bell for the next TLP?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Cupie12

Send Tits Pls
I was wondering what the reason for taking the mounts out of the game for Selos was. Not the generic they were out of era answer please. They were in for every server prior in Luclin and having them taken out kinda sucked :(

• 1Dislike

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Why did Daybreak decide to not continue with the concept of the Event Server Quarm after its initial run? From the initial announcement of Quarm it seemed like Daybreak had planned multiple different events with different eras but we only saw the Omens of War edition. Most of the people I have spoken to in regards to their experience on the server were positive even though it was brief (by design of course). What seemed like a great idea for a side distraction for both Live server players that run out of content mid-expansion and TLP players in slower paced eras to come together for short events ended up being a 1 time deal that resulted in a DOA character dumping ground server (Brekt).

I have to assume that it ultimately came down to being financially unreasonable to devote developer resources to the short term events but I figure it's the same as the initial cost of TLP development where once it's made it's good to go for future editions. I believe Quarm would have made Daybreak a lot more money had the decision not been made to give EVERYONE that made a character on that server a free claimable Group Adventure III potion which essentially negated the best source of revenue a short-term server like that would have, namely Marketplace EXP potions.

Second Question:
If a guy claimed a bunch of items on Phinigel during the "Claimgate" exploit back in 2016 (largely illusions, LON rewards, and potions) and the items were then deleted from his bags do you think it's reasonable to permanently ban his account after 16 years of faithful membership and 0 run-ins with the law? Follow-up question, how do you feel about Presidential Pardons?
REF SUPPORT TICKET #681649

• 2Salty
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Holly Windstalker,

Sean Connery was a great James Bond because he delivered not only many of the stereotypical classic characteristic of a strong and capable role model, but he also strived connecting some of the cheesier plot points along the way of the 007 franchise without conceding his character's strongpoints.

Who do you think is the James Bond of Everquest?

• 1Rimshot
  • 1WTF
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There was at some point talk of redoing the player character animations for the Luclin models. Is this still on the cards? The animations are somewhat clumsy looking and may turn off some new players.

When push comes to shove, how much do you think the IP of everquest is worth and, given that dismal number, how do the gamesters in charge plan to exploit and build that value?

Or it where we are at the end game plan? Nostalgia servers ad infintum.

Meech

Molten Core Raider
Classic or Luclin models?

Do you agree people who use Luclin models are objectively worse at Everquest than those who use Classic models?

Do you pronounce it "Luck-lin" or "Loose-lin"?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Status
Not open for further replies.