Everquest Confessions

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
There are so many good stories over the years of super sketchy/ savage / baller / weird shit that has been done in EQ- many of the best stories are little ones that don’t get told. I wanted to create an Everquest confessions thread - all the little and big stuff can belong here- the more savage or sketch the better.

I’ll start - I know there are way better stories than mine but I want to break the ice

when luclin dropped and I was a teenager I used to get high and run around the crazier zones with no idea where I was. It was pretty wild.

For sk epic-

I killed caradon like a fucking savage - camped him and murdered him when he spawned and choked the entire server out on agnarr. I then orchestrated this on coirnav with my friend and that’s why they changed the epic literally.

caradon is still a bottleneck technically. I camped marl alone because I murdered caradon so much and had epic and bp within 1.5 weeks.
I also setup auto clicker and tested his exact location on test server

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
So.....I'll go.

Main is a Pally on the Povar Server.

In Underfoot I think Paladins got the ability clerics had as an AA called "Bestow Divine Aura". Now Underfoot was a PITA expansion especially Arth with all the bugs (as an aside.)

Anyway, I never really used this ability before and didn't keep DA memmed because it took forever to refresh the spell Gem. I used the spell gem a couple of times to do corpse runs in the old days but never used it really since.

Things I knew about Divine Aura:
1) Makes you invulnerable for a short time.
2) It is a beneficial buff (not resistable..only buffblockable)
3) It prevents you from casting any spells for its duration. (18 seconds i think at the time)
4) Can be clicked off of buff window.
5) Usually not buff blocked (especially by clerics / mercs)

So occasionally I would abuse this ability on the healer for a group / merc.

Come up on a camping site that I wanted for quest kills or something and they are being unreasonable? Fine.

I would bestow DA on their healer and suddenly that group would die pretty quickly. I think at that time you could see buffs on other players in the target window. So you could see the buff active and ticking.

The healers couldn't heal and the Mercs would just stand there and do nothing or run. Frequently the group would die.

Then I / my team would rez them (pally rez in UF was useful as hell) and ask if we could get our quest kills while they recovered and they were grateful and would let us do it.

You would have to look at a spell parser to even see it and since it's a short buff it went in the buff window (or song window later I think) with a super short duration people would be panicking and probably never noticed.

I never really abused this too much (instancing makes it more pointless.) I only ever told one other person that I did this (an SK buddy). He thought it was hilarious.

Bestow DA may still be the way it works I dunno. I always felt kinda guilty but I would give them a rez afterwords.

• 8Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 10 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
There are so many good stories over the years of super sketchy/ savage / baller / weird shit that has been done over the years in EQ- many of the best stories are little ones that don’t get told. I wanted to create an Everquest confessions thread - all the little and big stuff can belong here- the more savage or sketch the better.

I’ll start - I know there are way better stories than mine but I want to break the ice

when luclin dropped and I was a teenager I used to get high and run around the crazier zones with no idea where I was. It was pretty wild.

For sk epic-

I killed caradon like a fucking savage - camped him and murdered him when he spawned and choked the entire server out on agnarr. I then orchestrated this on coirnav with my friend and that’s why they changed the epic literally.

caradon is still a bottleneck technically. I camped marl alone because I murdered caradon so much and had epic and bp within 1.5 weeks.
I also setup auto clicker and tested his exact location on test server
Sounds like you're a sperg and should go back to smoking weed.

• 2Edgelord
Reactions: 1 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
My best one is simply wiping guilds on Veeshan when other guilds beat us to contested spawns by simply gating mobs back to spawn once they got low, over and over and over again. This worked really well on Protector in Sleepers tomb, or Statue/Tormax/Cazic. Anything people pulled away from spawn. Nobody fucking knew that song back then. I'd even do it in Seb and people would petition GM's, and GM's had no idea wtf was going on.

Ain't nobody suspect a Bard that is doing song animation, as Bards always are. Just looked like I was scouting competition or tracking or whatever.

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
You're single, aren't you?
Hahaha - that actually is another good answer with a confession-

me meeting my wife is probably the biggest reason I don’t tlp super hard and explains me having to leave every tlp server I have to do. Back to dating her on phinny. We go to the brink of divorce and then I have to leave

actually I got a bj from my wife while doing sk epic camping marl once. I don’t even remember which server I think it was agnarr though. That was actually pretty epic but at the same time I was very concerned about missing marl

Wingz Wingz this is incredibly niche and satisfying - I love it

• 1Worf

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
I'll go for another since it has the memories flowing.

Shortly after the Guild lobby was introduced with summoning corpses I would frequently go into the lobby and give rezzes to random corpses I saw.

See people don't read that window before clicking the yes button, people just click the yes button.

As a Pally I knew you couldn't use a 90% rez and then a 96% rez afterwords. Most other classes never had to deal with that. Once you use a rez spell on a corpse, it's like the flag goes off and that's what you get. 1 shot per corpse.

So...

I would cast the "Reanimation" spell that is just essentially a call to corpse with 0% rez. And since the corpse had a resurrect spell cast upon it already, you couldn't use a 96 or anything else.

But since people didn't read the window and are used to clicking yes. I would give a lot of 0% rezzes in the GL.

But hey, I would give them brells!

• 5Worf
  • 1Weird Boner
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
My best one is simply wiping guilds on Veeshan when other guilds beat us to contested spawns by simply gating mobs back to spawn once they got low, over and over and over again. This worked really well on Protector in Sleepers tomb, or Statue/Tormax/Cazic. Anything people pulled away from spawn. Nobody fucking knew that song back then. I'd even do it in Seb and people would petition GM's, and GM's had no idea wtf was going on.
Fucking Highsun. Had a bard friend that would do that sometimes.

hEKK

Lord Nagafen Raider
Also, one time I tricked some mook into believing three handicapped people were navy seals.

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Sometime during Velious I found an easy dupe bug, involved 'dying' just as the in zone evac went off. Left two corpses. I created multiple CoF, TONS of rez sticks with 10 charges. Friends got suspicious when I would 'borrow' uber gear and then magically have it after giving it back lol. Monk buddy would use rezzes after pulling corpses in exp groups, was really funny. I knew it wouldn't last, but still didn't do any selling IRL.

I was usually helpful, and never griefed, but.... one patch where they added pet gear, I found out that if your pet had +HP gear on it, and you zoned when it was suuuper low on health, it would stay at your last zone, and turn into a Kill on Sight NPC. I put a few 49 earth pets at the zone line into SolB. A few minutes later, there were a ton of lvl 40s outside licking their wounds. "Be quick, he roots" I heard in say chat lolol.

*edit one more that I'm proud of. It involved multiple bugs but I used them to outsmart this kid that wouldn't help:

Saw a lvl 4 Iksar in field of bone with a 49 earth pet under his control. What the hell? Of course they wouldn't tell us how they did it. I happened to be a magician that had weird leather looking armor, and had a fine steel mace equipped to pretend I was a cleric. Normally impossible to equip, but if you killed a Priest of Discord, eqipped the staff of discord, it would change into an equipped Fine Steel mace after you zoned. Long story short, I convinced this Iksar kid that I was a cleric who could summon a fire pet, and would tell him how if he told me how to summon the earth pet. Shit actually worked (yay anonymous). Sure enough, the latest patch broke that level 4 named spider in those catacombs below Field of Bone. It's poison proc spell# was changed from poison to the lvl 49 earth pet, so let it hit you and boom, your alt has a 49 earth pet. You leveled crazy fast, could even kill the level 20+ stuff in the underwater tunnels. Fun times! Sorry for the long weird story.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Unplugging from your switch and running around the zone before you timed out was super OP as a mage. Also the hammers in SoL had volume so you could build out of the zone by stacking them like blocks and kill stuff from outside of the zone. That works all the way up to PoP since ypu could copy the old item file after a patch until they fixed that.

• 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I really wanted an Arbitors Combine Greatsword for my pally on 2001/2002ish so I put all my gear in the bank, went to the commons, and OOCed that my corpse got lost and support wouldn’t help me. I asked for donations to buy a set of banded armor. I used the 2000 or so plat I got to buy the ACGS and I think a set of orc fang earrings

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Gosh I just can't stop now that I'm thinking about this. More REZ Shenanigans.

So also back when the GL was fairly new and even to this day, Raiders frequently leave their corpses in the GL but in out of the way areas. Halfway in the wall, on the big chair in the middle stuff like that so it's out of the way and they don't accidentally click a rez by someone else trying to target a corpse with a mouse and clicking them by mistake.

Now when you rez a corpse it doesn't tell you WHICH corpse is being rezzed when you get the window. It could be one of the 10 in your raid instance or in the guild lobby, there's no way to know. THIS IS KEY! It is especially worse with call to corpse abilities. It doesn't tell you which corpse and you lose all your buffs etc.

I remember this instance specifically I think it was a Firestormers guild warrior, don't remember who.

He had his corpse halfway in a wall in the Guild lobby and I was doing my 0% rez stuff. I clicked on his corpse and did a rez and he appeared buffless just like any other rez.

So what I knew was this warrior was :
1) buffless
2) appearing in the lobby from wherever he was.
3) and the corpse was made worthless thanks to 0% xp rez.
4) No Endurance which was a PITA to get back unlike mana, there really wasn't END regen items, you just had to sit and do nothing till you got it back

So this guy starts to go off on me. Apparently his guild was just starting to engage their Raid Target and he hit his defensive discs that were now useless for however long the timer was. To his raid people he just disappeared one second and was in the lobby the next. Apparently I cast the rez as he was building aggro and apparently the Boss tore off after the casters and killed a good chunk of the raid. So I destroyed an entire raid attempt. I said it was by accident and I clicked the wrong corpse. I don't think he knew it was a 0% rez just a rez window.

I gave him brells which was group brells rk2 at the time so it was shitty brells.

• 1Like

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Final one for the night. This is pretty benign compared to what I've posted already.

So like any good Pally I had my OT hammer and DA hammer.

So Bandoliers were a thing, you can quick swap to other weapons.
This was also shortly after Ornaments were made. You can make your weapon into a different graphic. The OT hammer and DA hammer, everybody knew what those looked like. So I gave them different looks.

So for instance if it was getting late and I needed to leave I would let everyone know that in a few pulls I needed to go. After that if they still wanted to stick around and I was tired I would have to take off.

So I would switch to the DA hammer which means my hate went down to 1 while DA. The mobs would go kill everyone else in the group (pallys have terrible AoE hate anyway for most of the game) and I would swap weapons to OT hammer and bounce out.

So yes sometimes I caused a wipe because I was tired.

I lived and would gate to the lobby quickly letting the group know I "died" too and rezzed myself. We would all get fresh buffs and break for the nite.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users