I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
F58XwU0.jpg

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

kudos

<Banned>
Is there a point to playing this game without a paid account? I remember the gear being stupidly restricted back in the day. Can you still play on test server without paying? Is the gear as restricted as live? What about gear on FV for a free account?

edit: Nevermind. Seems the Agnarr server is going to be locked at LDoN forever? Sounds good.

Last edited:
I play without a sub because I six box. It kinda gimps you though because of the 250 AA cap. I plan to sub each one once which I think will lock their cap at 1000 after that.

85+ House of Thule is fucking awesome. I recommend anyone coming back to EQ just focusing on leveling then at 85 turn off auto AA enable and progress through the content of HoT, 4 tiers of group content and it's a blast. Finishing up tier 3 atm.
Thanks! I have no idea what that is but I read about it and it sounds good. I also read that after that you can do some quests in Feerrot.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
It's not as much as you think it is and it seems like that is more than offset by efficiency - most players can't 5/6 box more efficiently than they can if they 3box with 3 mercs (even with the merc "tuning"). The difference between a 6 person group and 3 person group with 3 mercs is 22% - directly from the 10/12/10 EQ patch notes . There is also no difference in exp bonus between 5 and 6 people; the only really difference is that it is divided 5 ways instead of 6, so it's a de facto exp bonus, but you aren't losing anything for having 5+1 merc. Either way, it's kind of irrelevant at the live end game - exp comes so fast just completing progression and achievements.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
22% per kill is nice though, especially if you kill large numbers. Not sure how efficiency works out though, mine goes to shit when I am boxing 6, although I tend to have it so that every character nukes (even healers) so each mob dies in 5 seconds. I find it boring though because I don't get to play any of the characters, just the tank for pulling. I would much rather 2 or 3 box with mercs, but my exp wasn't very good like that. I also worried that I wouldn't be able to do raid content without completely outleveling it.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How limited are mercs on live in terms of content access? I assume you can't bring them into raid instances, even old ass shit like level 70 aug farming - does this carry into non raid shit? Are there chunks of useful dungeons/missions blocked or can you generally do most any group content with them?

Reht

Molten Core Raider
You can use them in anything that's not a raid instance. You can do just about everything in the group game with them if you are skilled/geared enough to overcome tank/healer merc deficiencies. I didn't have any problems with the content i did in EOK using a tank merc and healer, but i also ran a back up healer.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, 99% of all group stuff I did with 3 and 3 mercs. Probably at around lv 85+ I had to sometimes use 2 healer mercs on certain boss fights, but mostly I ran shaman, ranger, sk, 2 DPS mercs(casters) and healer merc. I was equipping myself with group gear that I got from bosses, missions, etc, up through the tiers. some pieces I purchased if I was missing them (bad RNG)

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
So bored that I decided to fire up my old EQ account and log in.

Holy. Freaking. Shit! UI, maps, hotbars, AAs, spells, inventory, rewards, the list goes on and on of shit that I feel so lost on.

The last expansion that I played was Veil of Alaris so I still feel like it wasn't really that long ago. Turns out it's been like 5-6 years since that expansion, and I apparently remember very little.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
So bored that I decided to fire up my old EQ account and log in.

Holy. Freaking. Shit! UI, maps, hotbars, AAs, spells, inventory, rewards, the list goes on and on of shit that I feel so lost on.

The last expansion that I played was Veil of Alaris so I still feel like it wasn't really that long ago. Turns out it's been like 5-6 years since that expansion, and I apparently remember very little.

/disc for Warrior abilities is completely gone. I vaguely remember "throw stone" being added to explain where they've been moved to, but somebody cried too hard and had it removed, without implementing anything to replace it (or explain it)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've been out of the game for about a month now and I'm pretty sure I'll be completely lost when I log back in a few weeks before the expansion. Shit is just so complex.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've been out of the game for about a month now and I'm pretty sure I'll be completely lost when I log back in a few weeks before the expansion. Shit is just so complex.

Any thoughts on what the new expansion will be, and when?

It's been a couple weeks since I came back and I'm enjoying it. Took me several days to get shit configured correctly but the rust has mostly come off even after a 6 year hiatus. The biggest issue I have now is figuring out the content and where I should be but even that is coming along. Surprisingly, my guild is still very active and with many people that I remember, which has helped a lot as well.

I just hit level 100 this weekend so I still have another 5 levels to go to reach max level again. XP in the new Kunark zones is pretty ridiculous. At 99, I was getting 1% normal XP for every two kills and that's without using lessons. If I went all AA XP, it was 6 AA points per kill. Insane.

I just saw some a guildee yesterday getting an achievement for over 19K AA points. And here I thought my nearly 6K AA was pretty decent.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Any thoughts on what the new expansion will be, and when?

It's been a couple weeks since I came back and I'm enjoying it. Took me several days to get shit configured correctly but the rust has mostly come off even after a 6 year hiatus. The biggest issue I have now is figuring out the content and where I should be but even that is coming along. Surprisingly, my guild is still very active and with many people that I remember, which has helped a lot as well.

I just hit level 100 this weekend so I still have another 5 levels to go to reach max level again. XP in the new Kunark zones is pretty ridiculous. At 99, I was getting 1% normal XP for every two kills and that's without using lessons. If I went all AA XP, it was 6 AA points per kill. Insane.

I just saw some a guildee yesterday getting an achievement for over 19K AA points. And here I thought my nearly 6K AA was pretty decent.
Yeah eok doubled xp gain.

I have no insight as to what the next expansion will be. My guess is they are going to flesh out kunark. Actually i remember someone saying that there are a bunch of unused kunark zone assets, so thats a good guess.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Clerics pretty unhappy about the QM change too, that's a pretty big nerf for raid DPS for classes used to getting a QM during a fight...such as wizards.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Talk about nerfing Necromancer RB/Death's Effigy to oblivion jesus fucking christ I don't even play anymore and I'm pissed about that change..

Last edited: