veeshantwo
overtheretwo
skyfiretwo
charasistwo
gorowyn
charasisb - Sathir's Tomb

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Not to derail but wasn't sure where to get some discussion on this topic. We were really talking about looking forward to stuff in Agnarr but I was saying how much I'm looking forward to Velious and PoP but dread Luclin. I've never been a fan honestly. However, a friend said that I should check out the lore and that made it much more tolerable. Mentioned they even had SoE licensed books on Luclin. Anyway, found some stuff and never knew... heck, didn't even know that the expansion was supposed to have a Plane of Shadows that never happened but eventually did happen and included Luclin and the Shadow of Luclin. Still never quite understood their intentions were with some items and such in Luclin but looks as if it had some high hopes and could have been excellent but was simply rushed and fell short.

Just some nice archived reads: Luclin Lore | EverQuest Forums

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Yeah Luclin was supposed to be a lot more like Velious - huge and expansive with multiple factions warring against each other in multiple tiers. They needed a launch date to show off those fugly models and it all ended half-baked.

Future expansions might have been launched too soon, but were eventually fixed. Luclin never got that treatment.

Plenty of cool stuff going on in Luclin, but the dots don't connect and there are enough gaping holes for most players to assume there's nothing to enjoy.

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
Best trade I ever made was in Classic I traded the Cloak of Shadows from Guano Harvester for a Manastone.
I was a Druid.

Was awesome playing when nobody knew anything :D

Did the same but also had a fbss in the trade. Cloak was rare as hell, but man was that manastone great for druids.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Yeah Luclin was supposed to be a lot more like Velious - huge and expansive with multiple factions warring against each other in multiple tiers. They needed a launch date to show off those fugly models and it all ended half-baked.

Future expansions might have been launched too soon, but were eventually fixed. Luclin never got that treatment.

Plenty of cool stuff going on in Luclin, but the dots don't connect and there are enough gaping holes for most players to assume there's nothing to enjoy.

What I love is they never bothered even TRYING to fix the completely shit models and their associated animations. in some ways, if the models were standing still, they looked fine. But get some weapons in their hand and attacking and it's full retard all the way.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
What I love is they never bothered even TRYING to fix the completely shit models and their associated animations. in some ways, if the models were standing still, they looked fine. But get some weapons in their hand and attacking and it's full retard all the way.

Not exactly true. A few years after Luclin was released, they did take a stealth pass at trying to improve the animations. The only problem was that the new changes were far, far worse. As in, the timing was completely off and even more comical than what we have today. It didn't last long before they backtracked on the changes and tried to chalk it up to some sort of inadvertent mistake on their end while working on changes. To my knowledge, they never tried again after that.

The sad part is that some of the art they have now for mob models and animations in the new expansions is actually pretty good even by today's standards. I guess it's a different story when it comes to player characters. Either that or the devs believe it would be repeating past mistakes to attempt to replace models again.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Discussion of Luclin brings back memories. New models, the AA system, a design that could've been amazing in the same way as Velious was. Just simply rushed out the door way too soon unfortunately.

Most of us know that VT was the end game for that expansion and the path to get there went through Ssra Temple, but if memory serves, similar alternatives were planned for both Acrylia Caverns and Sanctus Seru. IIRC, one of the higher end raiding guilds (can't remember the name or server they were on) found enough "leads" in AC that they decided to skip the Ssra Temple path altogether and gear up in AC. Made sense I guess, especially when you consider all the other guilds were fighting for Ssra Temple loots. Unfortunately for them, the content in AC was only a fraction complete and never addressed by the devs and I believe the guild eventually folded after being left in the dust in terms of progression.

Sanctus Seru seemed like it had such huge potential based on the zone size, layout, etc but largely went unused save for raiding SS himself. I do recall a post once by Furor regarding some amazing earring he looted after countless hours and hours of farming some ultra rare drops in a file cabinet room or something like that.

So much potential for that expansion.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Most of us know that VT was the end game for that expansion and the path to get there went through Ssra Temple, but if memory serves, similar alternatives were planned for both Acrylia Caverns and Sanctus Seru. IIRC, one of the higher end raiding guilds (can't remember the name or server they were on) found enough "leads" in AC that they decided to skip the Ssra Temple path altogether and gear up in AC. Made sense I guess, especially when you consider all the other guilds were fighting for Ssra Temple loots. Unfortunately for them, the content in AC was only a fraction complete and never addressed by the devs and I believe the guild eventually folded after being left in the dust in terms of progression.
The guild i was in at the time did that too on Tholuxe Paells (we were high end, but not really serverwide at that point), and we never really recovered from it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Discussion of Luclin brings back memories. New models, the AA system, a design that could've been amazing in the same way as Velious was. Just simply rushed out the door way too soon unfortunately.

Sanctus Seru seemed like it had such huge potential based on the zone size, layout, etc but largely went unused save for raiding SS himself. I do recall a post once by Furor regarding some amazing earring he looted after countless hours and hours of farming some ultra rare drops in a file cabinet room or something like that.

So much potential for that expansion.
A guild on BB rushed Acrylia too, can't remember which one.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
i love that i still don't know jack shit about every fucking nook and cranny (raiding even!) in this game and that it feels like a virtual world with real consequences (time, rarity, etc)

i will forever be a filthy casual

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Tuco Tuco you still playing live? Ever done Artisan's Prize? Finally finished it and I really can't believe how much time this took. It may not be too bad if someone has been using tradeskills for years but I went into it with every skill at zero and I'm on a server with no marketplace at all, the amount of farming just blows away anything else I've done in EQ for 15+ yrs as far as time investment. I don't think I would have ever started it had I understood what I was getting into.

Capture.JPG

• 2Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Tuco Tuco you still playing live? Ever done Artisan's Prize? Finally finished it and I really can't believe how much time this took. It may not be too bad if someone has been using tradeskills for years but I went into it with every skill at zero and I'm on a server with no marketplace at all, the amount of farming just blows away anything else I've done in EQ for 15+ yrs as far as time investment. I don't think I would have ever started it had I understood what I was getting into.

View attachment 154628

That's a continuation of Aid Grimel I presume? Jesus fuck the mudfation.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
That's a continuation of Aid Grimel I presume? Jesus fuck the mudfation.

There is nothing in the game like AP, it would be wrong to assume stats have inflated anywhere near that. Things have progressed % wise pretty consistently for many years. This item however is a totally different beast.

It does require Aid Grimel and Erons from SoF but that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There is nothing in the game like AP, it would be wrong to assume stats have inflated anywhere near that. Things have progressed % wise pretty consistently for many years. This item however is a totally different beast.

It does require Aid Grimel and Erons from SoF but that is just the tip of the iceberg.

I figured it wasn't indicative of normal gear, I did AG back in the day myself so I know how it outstripped everything really at the time. But still...

Reht

Molten Core Raider
That's one of the main reasons i can't make myself go back and play on Live. I am OCD enough that i would have to do this and it would drive me nuts. I am kind of in the same boat you were in except i am 300 in all TS (did them for the shawl aug), but my main has no raid flags before SoD (when i main changed).