Everquest - Live Servers

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I always think of Sol-b when some one says Everquest, such and amazing zone.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I always think of Sol-b when some one says Everquest, such and amazing zone.

It's funny because I keep reading posts and it always reminds me of my own experience within the context of their post. I remember going into LS as a level 4 something and randomly finding what I now know was SolB. I knew I was out of my element but I was just roaming around and exploring when bam I was instantly killed and knew I'd never be able to figure out where I was killed and this was before the changes were made to soften corpse loss pre-level 10. New character time!

Hosix

All labs matter!
I was always a Sol B guy....I could navigate that zone like nothing. But in LGuk? I was always lost or turned around.

I don't think any game has ever had dungeons like EQ. The size, scope and complex navigation. It made figuring out those zones a reward in itself.

Letsinod

Lord Nagafen Raider
Little things like being encumbered are what I miss the most. Community and not being an idiot mattered in those days. I remember having 3 ring binders with maps printed of all the zones from eqmaps. What a time....

Fenriz

Molten Core Raider
Soo uhh, does anyone play on Povar still or know someone who does? I'm looking to see if it's possible to get my account back I sold when WoW came out to a guildie. Would have been when Forces Unknown was around.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Halflings built a wall in Misty Thicket and made those dirty Runnyeye goblins pay for it.

Migration of Iksar into the main lands was halted and all existing refugees from Kunark were issued tracking numbers.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Soo uhh, does anyone play on Povar still or know someone who does? I'm looking to see if it's possible to get my account back I sold when WoW came out to a guildie. Would have been when Forces Unknown was around.

Do you have the original Credit Card info? Or original CD key the account was registered with? Or your original billing info?

With some of that info you can call DBG and have them turn the account back over to you, just tell them you lost access to it approximately year 20XX and stopped playing when that happened. It worked for me, I got back an accout I had sold, which had been re-sold to rang rang gold farmers and eventually abandoned.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fenriz

Molten Core Raider
Do you have the original Credit Card info? Or original CD key the account was registered with? Or your original billing info?

With some of that info you can call DBG and have them turn the account back over to you, just tell them you lost access to it approximately year 20XX and stopped playing when that happened. It worked for me, I got back an accout I had sold, which had been re-sold to rang rang gold farmers and eventually abandoned.

Well that's good news! I was 11 or 12 when I started playing so hopefully my mom remembers that shit! Highly doubtful I have the original CD keys around though sadly. Thanks man

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Nowdays any game will be streamed by a 100 people so no more "leet strat" or how to figure out some zone/locations and such. 30 seconds after someone figure it out everyone knows now.

Kind of missing a game where an AFK Ogre in the right spot at a zone in could kill a ton of people who couldn't get out of the zone while training.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
How many originals are here? Who remembers the early days when you died and giving someone /consent meant they could loot your body! Talk about having to build up trust!

Dude...I did this. I was in Blackburrow and had a shitty computer with the most minimal RAM out there. Computer kept freezing and being a barbarian, you were blind as hell, too. I died somewhere in BB -- I am assuming I fell down the pit and died -- and pleaded help to a rogue. He told me to give him /consent and he did bring my character back up, but he had looted my shit. I didn't know what had happened. ;(

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I miss my enchanter!
vOC2OhW.png

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I also really miss a game where you had many places to go that were multi leveled. You could do Unrest at level 15, but you were staying close to the zone in. Get up in the 20's, head inside the house. Get up in the 30's, head to the basement. Same with Mistmoore, Befallen, Splitpaw, Upper/Lower Guk, etc…

I also liked that you weren't forced to go from point A to point B to point C to complete a hundred different meaningless level specific quests. You wanted to group up and do a dungeon? Cool. You wanted to solo for exp? Fine. You wanted to camp the Gorge of King Xorbb for PBB's? No problem.

• 1Like

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i heard this story from one of the customer I had. he and his wife played everquest together. they had a guild I think silent majority. All of these guys and girls know each other really welland know by their avatar name. So there comes a time when one of the guildie gets married and invites his guildmates to his wedding. All of them show up. From Canada and Other states. They had to know who was who by their real name and it was odd for them to get adjusted to them.

So this couple tries to cross the border from Canada to States. The border guy asks them what is the reason for visit. They say wedding. Do you know what name, he asks. The couple can't answer the question because they could only remember his avatar name. So the border guy searches all their stuff. They tell me they had a great time when they got there.

I don't hear this kind of story from newer guilds....

• 1Like

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Well a lot of newer games just don't force the kind of networking that older games did. Accessibility shot right past the sweet spot and straight into "fuck everyone, I got mine, time to log out". Cell phones aren't helping the current gaming trends, but VR should take us back to MMOs being a big big big big deal, and hopefully some devs realize that the player organizations need to be a centerpiece to make the game legendary. Having said that, EQ probably would have flopped if there were many games of similar quality that had higher accessibility at the time, and WoW showed that an advance in accessibility made for a much more popular game. I just think there is a limit, and they've exceeded that.

EQ was great because it had all the basic elements of a good persistent world and people had to work together to explore the world. It had a shit-ton of problems that could have been addressed without sacrificing those qualities, and to this day they have failed to properly address the problems it has in lieu of addressing problems it doesn't have.

• 1Like

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I have tried to go back to the live servers and it does not feel the same. Maybe TLE servers have that feel, but I am not willing to sub to find out.

Rude

Potato del Grande
Giving some low level thousands of copper and watching them die when falling off a short ledge was fun

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well a lot of newer games just don't force the kind of networking that older games did. Accessibility shot right past the sweet spot and straight into "fuck everyone, I got mine, time to log out". Cell phones aren't helping the current gaming trends, but VR should take us back to MMOs being a big big big big deal, and hopefully some devs realize that the player organizations need to be a centerpiece to make the game legendary. Having said that, EQ probably would have flopped if there were many games of similar quality that had higher accessibility at the time, and WoW showed that an advance in accessibility made for a much more popular game. I just think there is a limit, and they've exceeded that.

EQ was great because it had all the basic elements of a good persistent world and people had to work together to explore the world. It had a shit-ton of problems that could have been addressed without sacrificing those qualities, and to this day they have failed to properly address the problems it has in lieu of addressing problems it doesn't have.
Vanilla WoW even up to TBC was very much a game that had consequences if you wanted to be a shitbag and you relied on guildmates heavily. I have vivid memories of WoW from Vanilla to TBC. After that point? Maybe killing TWK, because it was a pretty awesome fight. Killing Deathwing. But it basically just became a game of raiding, it was the only reason I bothered to log in anymore.

Wrath came and took a steaming dump on everything and LFR has made WoW a joke. I'm guilty of the "got mine, fuck off" mentality, because there's no reason not to be.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Reading this thread is dangerous, almost looked into the latest expansions/emulators to play again.

• 1Like
I don't have the pain tolerance to handle Everquest anymore.

Playing on P99 with corrupt administrators, & lots of general douchebaggery convinced me of that. I thought P99 was a unique case.

Then I remembered that EQ in general was always plagued with corrupt GMs & general douchebaggery.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I was always a Sol B guy....I could navigate that zone like nothing. But in LGuk? I was always lost or turned around.

I don't think any game has ever had dungeons like EQ. The size, scope and complex navigation. It made figuring out those zones a reward in itself.

I was always an LGuk man. To this day I can walk to every corner of Upper and Lower Guk from memory. Even the Live side of Lower Guk!

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users