Excel question, partial private sheet possible?

Northerner

N00b
Silly question perhaps but although I am many things, fluent in Excel is not one of them.

I'm having to support a number of Excel spreadsheets lately, all for in-house use where they have them. They (annoyingly) are used by a variety of positions, are given inputs directly and are legacy to the point that it_has_been_decided that there is no point in modernizing things at all. It isn't even a case of a front-end feeding into them or anything... managers are editing directly and it is all just shared around.

So, here's the issue: although I rarely have to deal with them actually, I want to have information on the sheets that is not accessible to all the parties that have permission to view and edit said sheets. I want to add quite a bit to them and have it visible to me and a subset of those involved without redoing the whole thing. Now, *real* security is not an issue. The derived data is all something that anyone else could derive if they thought about it but I'd prefer not to have other parties notice data that draws attention to what is being done. The key here though is quick and dirty rather than spending a few dozen dev hours and it would be far easier to have in on-page or similar.

I guess the easiest is just another sheet drawing from the initial one but that would mean a pain in the ass for me to get the existing users to understand what the hell that means even. Better yet would be an actual app but again, pain and frankly, I'm not being paid for that. So, what I want is just to hide a portion of an excel sheet from some of the users of said sheet. Must be easy but I'm not motivated to figure it out. It's probably easy as hell though so why not ask here?

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Have you thought about using Google's spreadsheet? You can share freely, set to read only, and set of data ranges for whole sheets or even cells.

I am not very familiar with excel anymore. Plus the scripting engine is quite nice.

Have you thought about using Google's spreadsheet? You can share freely, set to read only, and set of data ranges for whole sheets or even cells.

I am not very familiar with excel anymore. Plus the scripting engine is quite nice.
Does anyone have experience with downloading a heavily formatted google spreadsheet as an .xlsx file? Does everything convert correctly?

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Does anyone have experience with downloading a heavily formatted google spreadsheet as an .xlsx file? Does everything convert correctly?
Not certain, I suppose it would depend on the complexity of the sheet? As far as I can tell all the functions Excel has the Google version has as well. The reason I prefer Google Spreadsheet is that no one ever has to download anything, you can just share it with a link.