Fall 2013 TV Premiere Calendar

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Wait... Why is Luther on that list? I thought it was done?

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Network TV continues its trend in scheduling all of its bland, generic entries in Fall, with almost all of the long shot, interesting shows appearing in the nebulous "Spring".

This isn't a bad thing for those long shots!

Due to TV production schedules, shows in the Fall are barely keeping ahead of their air dates (most will only have two episodes or so finshed beyond the one that airs that week), but Spring shows will have most of their orders filmed before the shows premiere.

So the instantly DOA Kyle Killen show that launches in Fall (Lone Star)? Only four episodes are produced, with no idea where it would have gone. The instantly DOA Kyle Killen show that launches in Spring (Awake)? All 13 episodes are produced, and even provided a finale.

(Note: Kyle Killen has another TV show this year (Mind Games). The show starts in "Spring".)

So keeping in mind that the good (well, interesting, anyway) shows are all 2014, what's left for Fall?

BEST COMEDY
Brooklyn Ninety-Nine: Call it "Cops & Misdemeanors", as the Parks & Rec guys do cops in New York. While it has a great cast, my excitement is subdued, as I don't yet know how many of The Office writers and how many of the Parks & Rec writers moved to this, nor how well they will meld.

SURPRISE COMEDY
Trophy Wife: Follows the Cougar Town formula to a T, with a great cast, good writers, and a title that will not help it in the least. If your girl makes you watch this, you probably won't mind.

BEST DRAMA
SHIELD: Bear in mind, reviews are less than glowing. No one knows what the budget will be like on a weekly basis, nor if the mass market will suddenly embrace a rather Whedony show just because it has outright superheroes in it.

SURPRISE DRAMA
Sleepy Hollow: Ichabod Crane wakes up in 2013 to fight the Headless Horseman, who is trying to start the apocalypse. No, I'm not shitting you. Less good than "Needs to be seen to be believed".

Beyond that it is a mess of entries that can't get blanket recommendations. If you legitimately liked those later Fringe seasons, then give Almost Human a whirl. If you still think Family Guy is funny, then give Dads a shot. Etc.

Goatface

not really excited about any of them.
Almost Human could be good, but being on Fox mean that it will almost certainly be cancelled.
shield could go either way, the slick ads they have really don't show anything. don't know how many C list hero/villain of the week stories i could take if it goes that way. funny how different places think it is either going to flop or be the biggest show in years and pull 30mil viewers.
The Tomorrow People looks worth a watch.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm pretty pissed that it looks like the Glades have been cancelled (even though it is a Summer show)..

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Probably no better place to put this, I downloaded last nights opener of "Mom" because it had Alison Janney in it.

I didn't make it past five minutes, it had the most obnoxious laugh track I've ever heard which was made doubly irritating by fuck all being said that belonged in the same country as funny. I never even got to see Janney thank god so I can still presume she's great >.<

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Dude i watched every episode. I never talk about it because its a guilty pleasure. Its a poor show. The murderer is usually a woman so yeah the mysteries arent good. Im fucking pissed too. Why the fuck would they end it like this? Not even a resolution episode or a mini movie? Im done with A&E shows

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think they said it was A&E's longest running non-scripted show and the numbers were even up. They cancelled it and that BULLSHIT show longmire is re-upped. The writers made some tweet about how they came in and were basically fired. They're hoping another station picks it up, which it's a show with a lot of followers so it could do well. There were two reasons I hated that show:

1) Car advertisements. They weren't even subtle, right in your face going over the features in every episode of the new car.

2) Jim arrested EVERYONE. He would walk into someones house and go "I'm arresting you for the murder of stupid bitch" and they'd say something like "But wait I have this alibi" and he'd agree and let them either go on the spot or after they came to the station. I've never met such a rogue cop that could just arrest half of florida like that.

I watched the two new shows The Goldbergs and that show after it about the mom. The Goldbergs had a few sort of funny moments, but the dad is definitely going to ruin the show.. he's not a main character sort of guy and definitely a show killer. Show was generally unfunny and I was bored about 5 minutes in. The Trophy Wife show was even worse. The only thing it had going for it was she's sexy as shit, but she can't keep the show up. Terrible premise and even more terrible execution. Won't be seeing those again.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
while waiting for the mega million numbers tonight, i ironically watched the last 15 minutes to Lucky 7. holy shit, that show is going to be off the air soon.

@noodleface
lol and he would arrest people right in the middle of something important. a suspect doctor would be in surgery and is getting ready to make an incision when he he asks for an assistant, there is jim with the handcuffs slapped on his wrists chewing on an apple and saying something like, "can i cut in?" sometimes he just arrests people "just because". no exaggerations. im guessing the execs thought the show was too silly. i mean they have shown ghosts and UFOs in the sky. so yeah they know its silly, but it had its charm. what the fuck am i gonna watch in the summer now?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
looks like i called it, though fucking helen keller could have seen Lucky 7 was a massive piece of shit that was going to be cancelled in no time.

Ratings: Cancellation clock is ticking for and others | Variety

Cancellation Clock Is Ticking for a Handful of New Series

After just a few weeks, 'Betrayal,' 'Welcome to the Family' and others are in real trouble
Rick Kissell
@ratesrick

It's only three weeks into the new season, but the gap between the "hits" and "busts" among the rookie class has grown pretty large.

Dramas "The Blacklist" (NBC), "Sleepy Hollow" (Fox) and "Marvel's Agents of SHIELD" (ABC) have all impressed, while CBS is doing reasonably well with new Robin Williams comedy "The Crazy Ones."

On the other hand, it's already over for a pair of newbies - ABC's "Lucky 7? and CBS' "We Are Men" were axed after just two airings - and the clock is ticking for a handful more.

PHOTOS: 10 Coldest TV Shows of the Fall

The networks like to put their best foot forward in November for the sweep, so mid-to-late October is typically when decisions are made to shore up the schedule. DVR playback can certainly help keep a struggling series stay on the air longer, but most times the networks don't need to wait for that data to know that a show simply isn't clicking.

The rookie series that would seem to be the most in danger - and in dire need of a ratings uptick - are NBC's Thursday comedy "Welcome to the Family" and ABC's Sunday drama "Betrayal." Both did a mere 0.8 rating/2 share in adults 18-49 in their timeslots last week, according to Nielsen.

Fairing only a bit better, with a 3 share, were CBS' "Hostages" and NBC's "Ironside" and "Sean Saves the World." Another show that would be on this list based on its performance, NBC's "The Michael J. Fox Show," isn't going anywhere because the Peacock has made a full-season commitment.

NBC's entire Thursday lineup is generating tiny numbers, and some change is expected soon.

CBS has similarly struggled with some new shows on Monday, and is doing what it can to provide a stronger lead-in for "Hostages" at 10. The net canceled the ineffective "We Are Men" after two episodes, changed timeslots for "2 Broke Girls" and has slotted the return of "Mike & Molly" for the night starting Nov. 4. Another first-year show, "Mom," continues to do OK in the 9:30 slot.

Looking at the third week of the season, "The Voice," "Sunday Night Football" and hot new drama "The Blacklist" proved too much for the competition as NBC led in adults 18-49 for a third straight week. The net is off to its highest-rated start in three seasons, and its advantage over runner-up CBS (0.6) is the largest for any network at this point in 10 years.

Last week, NBC averaged a 2.7/8 in the demo, followed in the rankings by Fox (2.4/8), CBS (1.9/5) and ABC (1.8/5). NBC also won in adults 25-54, while CBS was on top as usual in total viewers.

NBC's "The Voice" was the week's No. 3-rated entertainment series in 18-49 (4.6/13), and is teaming with "The Blacklist" (3.1/9 in 18-49, 11.18m) to win Monday.

But while NBC beat its rivals in every half-hour on its "Voice" nights of Monday and Tuesday, it trailed them in every half-hour on Wednesday and Thursday. NBC should benefit next week from the debut of its Friday lineup, featuring "Grimm" and newcomer "Dracula."

Elsewhere, Fox was led by Thursday's "Glee" (2.9/8 in 18-49, 7.39m), whose tribute to Corey Montieth produced the show's top same-night rating since its year-ago season premiere. Also for the net, "Junior MasterChef" continues to perform well on Friday (1.4/5 in 18-49, 3.92m), up a bit from the prior week.

At ABC, "Super Fun Night" held up OK on Wednesday in its second week (2.5/7 in 18-49, 6.64m), retaining 64% of the same-night demo rating of "Modern Family" (3.9/11 in 18-49, 10.64m) after holding 76% in its premiere a week earlier.

It was a lethargic bow, meanwhile, for Thursday's "Once Upon a Time in Wonderland" (1.7/5 in 18-49, 5.82m),

Second-year half-hour "The Neighbors" is looking shaky on Friday (0.9/3 in 18-49, 4.12m), and it's certainly making life more difficult for the shows it sandwiches on the schedule ("Last Man Standing" and "Shark Tank"). Still, "Shark Tank" is the night's No. 1 show in 18-49.

CBS could be pleased with the second week of "The Millers" on Thursday (3.0/9 in 18-49, 11.73m), retaining 91% of its premiere - the best 18-49 hold of any new series this fall.

There were three notable cable performers last week, led by "The Walking Dead" (8.2/19 in 18-49, 16.11 million viewers overall), which shattered its previous record for the top-rated basic cable series telecast of all time. It was the week's No. 2 program in 18-49, behind "Sunday Night Football" (8.4/22), but will easily overtake the game with DVR playback.

There was also FX's "American Horror Story" (3.1/9 in 18-49, 5.54m), which opened its third season with record numbers and led its hour in 18-49, and "Sons of Anarchy" (2.5/7), 4.46m), which beat the broadcast series in its timeslot as well.

And of course, A&E's "Duck Dynasty" continues to score big (3.2/10 in 18-49, 7.40m).

NETWORK AVERAGES

Adults 18-49

NBC 2.7/8
Fox 2.4/7
CBS 1.9/5
ABC 1.8/5
UNI 1.2/4
CW 0.7/2
TEL 0.5/1

Total Viewers

CBS 9.23 million
NBC 8.44 million