Falling out of love with gaming

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm having trouble finding games to love these days. The only games I've been crazy for in the past couple years is Minecraft and DayZ.

Is anyone else experiencing a gaming funk? Am I gaming depressed?

axeman_sl

shitlord
Yes but I suspect it's because I turned 28 last month. There hasn't really been a game in the last five or six years that I cared to play for more than a month or so. The greed and pandering to the lowest common demoninator in search of a broader audience simply shines through too much and taints the experience. There have been a few titles by lesser studios who tried to make more traditional games, such as PoE, but while those games have often been quite good, the low production values and tiny, inexperienced development teams make me tire of those games for different reasons. It just seems that there hasn't been a major title that has actually tried to be the best game it could be, as opposed to the most profitable it could be, since like 2006 or something. However, gamers under 20 never seem to complain and are probably delighted that there's a new iteration of CoD and AC every year.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I hear ya. You'll notice that my last two addictions (dayz and mc) were both very open-ended multiplayer survival games. They also have a cult-like following, and aren't praised for their graphics. Maybe this is why I can't get into next gen console release news. I'll take innovative game mechanics over graphics any day.

I should also note that once I got into Skyrim's shittastic UI, it kept me busy for many weeks.

Sigh

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Since entering my late 20s I've found I play fewer multiplayer games. Nowadays I generally treat games more like movies and play them once for the story and then never again.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
No, you're wrong and you should feel wrong!

Stop playing games if you're not enjoying yourself. Find new hobbies to go to when there are no games that have your attention.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I play games in spurts. I'll buy 4X games off of steam and play them non stop for 3-4 days then drop them. I'll play MMOs for a few hours a week for a month or two and drop them.

However, I find myself playing neverwinter a lot right now (few hours a night).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
About 5 years ago I got involved with my girlfriend to the point where we moved in together. Even though she played games and I got her into WOW ( she actually hit 85 in cats), it still cut my gaming by like 50%. Add to that the fact that no really good MMOs have come out I rarely play.

I tried to love diablo 3, but we all know how that goes. I am addicted to sc2 but I suck and barely have time to plAy. When I go for my masters I bet I won't play at all. Plus ill be 30 this year. Shiiiiit.

Maybe if ff14 is good it will hook me, but I have my doubts. The point is, you are not alone.

Caliane

Get into indie gaming. There are tons of "minecrafts" out there, just waiting for you to discover.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Diablo 3 and Sim City sucked the gaming out of me. Not sure if I'll ever recover.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I'm in the same boat. Marriage, kids, working (new job on top of that) and the lack of good quality games took a huge chunk out of my gaming passion. If your single and feeling like that wait until your married with children. It gets worse.

Sylverlokk

Golden Knight of the Realm
I hear ya. You'll notice that my last two addictions (dayz and mc) were both very open-ended multiplayer survival games. They also have a cult-like following, and aren't praised for their graphics. Maybe this is why I can't get into next gen console release news. I'll take innovative game mechanics over graphics any day.

I should also note that once I got into Skyrim's shittastic UI, it kept me busy for many weeks.

Sigh
Definitely need to try out Don't Starve then, it's a cheap low (but not bad) graphics indie game about survival. Other good "endless" indie games are FTL and Sword of the Stars: The Pit. All probably about 12 bucks each.

Caliane

Diablo 3 and Sim City sucked the gaming out of me. Not sure if I'll ever recover.
seriously. there is your problem right there.

Time is definitely a problem as you get older.
Doubt you will find to many 25+ people that will REALLY complain about Bioshocks 11 hours of gameplay and zero replay.

But at the same time, what got you into gaming? what kind of game?

Are you telling me you can't find that experience again?
Cave story, or that recently linked Un-epic for metroidvanias? the cave. or any number of others.

Robot unicorn or the myriad of other flash games, many of which are pretty amazing. kingdom rush, to crush the castle, to epic battle fantasy, to puzzle and dragons, to plants vs zombies, to candy crush, etc. desktop gaming, handheld etc, has a ton of really fun games too.
And this is the kind of gaming we used to have on NES and atari.

what about those amazing games of the past you missed? did you own every system, or were you a nintendo kid that missed out on all the classic sega games? if so, go play the phantasy stars, and shining in the darkness series right now. Temple of elemental evil, planescape, beyond good and evil etc. GoG and steam are loaded. even wii/psn, etc have classic games.

Like minecraft?
Dwarf fortress, gnomeria, towns, or like any number of about 20+ clones of MC and DF that have been in kickstarter/alpha/beta recently.
Terraria, darkout, starbound, etc.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ive spent the last few years on a nice long nostalgia kick. The newest games I've enjoyed are m&b, a few tower defence games, and the witcher. Other than that it's been emulators

spronk

FPS noob
I'm enjoying tv and movies much more now, while I could go for massive 20+ hour game marathons in my 20s I just can't give myself to give a shit anymore in my late 30s. 15 mins of battlefield 3 and i'm out. can't stand any MMOs anymore, its like I'm MMOneo and I see all the bullshit grinds as green squiggly lines as soon as I login and can't alt-f4 fast enough.

that is why games and new products are marketing at the young I always suspected, as you get older and older your brain just gets sooo nostalgic and just wants to do old things repeatedly instead of experience new stuff. Maybe the new stuff all sucks really, really bad or maybe the old stuff just sucked too, but it was the right thing for your age.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Fuck. We're all just old
frown.png

chorboy

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm 18 and have been in out and of different mmo's vindictus,eq2,guildwars,diablo,wow... they all fucking suck.

Ryanz

<Banned>
We all got older, and games got shittier. I find myself watching streams much more than actually playing games.

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
Remember when Call of Duty and Battlefield were good?

Only game i'm really looking forward to is stonehearth.

MMO's are awful anymore, UO had player owned housing/boats/pets/open ended pvp/ free loot, new mmo's struggle to implement these things.