Fallout 1/2/Tactics - Mods

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone giving Fallout 1/2/T a shot because of the freebie at GOG should note there are still mods that are pretty much required, and the sticky threads on GOG forums are woefully outdated. I figured it would be better to create a thread for this instead of clogging up the Steam thread if people had any questions.

Fallout:
Fallout FIXT- includes pretty much everything you could want; bug fixes, unofficial patch 1.3.5, high res patch, and sfall so that the high res patch actually works on Windows 7. There's analphaversion of FIXT as well, but I don't recommend it unless you're on your nth playthrough of the game.

Run the high res config program and set it to DirectX 9, your monitor's native resolution, 32-bit color, 60Hz, etc. Do NOT mess with anything in ddraw.ini, it will just break the game. Run the Fallout FIXT batch file to start the game, not the shortcut created by GOG's installer.

Fallout 2:
Killap's Unofficial Patch- tons of bug fixes
Fallout 2 Restoration Project(OPTIONAL) - restores a bunch of cut content, not recommended for first time players
High Res Patch
Sfall 3.2- ** Copy ONLY the ddraw.dll file to your game directory. Overwrite the dll that came with Killap's patch, but do not replace his ddraw.ini. **

Install those in the order listed, then run the high res config program and set it up just like Fallout above. Once again, don't edit ddraw.ini even though it looks like there's stuff in there you should turn on.

Fallout Tactics:
High Res Patch
Fallout Tactics Redux- Optional, so read the description and decide for yourself. I think it's worth using even though it goes well beyond just fixing bugs, and even on a first playthrough. That said, I also haven't played the entire game using it so it's possible there are issues with it I'm not aware of. Either way, you should definitely read the documentation for it so that you know the limitations of what the guy was able to do, as well as some things you should not do to avoid unintentional exploiting.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Fallout 2 had a online multiplayer mod. It was closed down earlier in the year, but apparently they released all their source code for someone else to pick it back up.

I believe the english redo project is @fodev.net

The original was @FOnline: 2238.

Lusiphur

Peasant
The Fallout 2 Restoration project links seem to 404 for me. Still, thanks for the info Vorph
biggrin.png

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Oops, that was the only thing I didn't install for myself so I missed the 404. Fixed the links in the OP.

I'm replaying Fallout right now to see if I can stand the combat with FIXT's mods allowing me to give at leastsomeinstruction to Ian & co. and I've found at least one bug with it. The traveling merchant you come across in a random encounter has a bunch of dialog errors, but it doesn't actually affect gameplay. You can still click on the second dialog choice that says "Error" and his barter window will open.