Farpoint VR

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So, saw the bundle at target and impulse bought because the controller by itself is 60. So made sense at 79 and I have been hearing great things about the experience. I'll have a trip report later for anyone with psvr.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
I preordered it from Amazon back when it was listed at $60. With Prime I got 20% off too so only paid $48 for the bundle. A steal really.

Aim controller makes the game 10x better. So immersive. I get a little motion sickness playing if I spin around too much, but it's fun shooting stuff while holding a 'real' gun. Campaign is short (about 5 hours apparently. I've only played it about 2 hours so far), but there is a co-op mode too. My favorite PSVR game so far, by a lot.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ok so I played an hour yesterday. Will be playing more tonight.

This game in combination with VR and the Aim Controller is absolutely immersive and amazing. But not in the regard of an in depth shooter. Basically what is making this enjoyable is the experience of holding your gun, seeing your gun, holding the gun up to your face and seeing through the holographic sight (Which gets nearer and closer as you move the gun closer/further away from your face) and going through a great environment and so far, story. The reaction time the gun has in retrospect to your movement is dead on accurate. To the point it adds such a new level of immersion you forget you aren't in a game.

I justified the buy because I love everything about VR and this adds a whole new level - but the Aim Controller itself is $60. So, it made sense to just buy the bundle. My advice: DO NOT BUY THIS GAME STAND ALONE. The Aim Controller makes all the difference, and there isn't Move controller support for it. So it's either Aim Controller or Dual Shock, and while I hadn't tried it yet, I can only imagine how boring this game would be with a Dual Shock Controller instead of the Aim Controller/Gun.

Now, I hope there is more support coming for this. Something like this can make a Call of Duty game, a Battlefield game, absolutely AWESOME. I can only imagine what it would be like to play something like an Omaha Beach mission in VR with this Aim Controller and storming the beach.

If Activision made a level like this with Aim Controller support for their upcoming COD game, I would preorder my first digital deluxe version of COD just to say thank you.

A LOT of awesome potetial - but so far, so good. I'll have more after I play more tonight.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Motion sickness is what worries me. I can't play RE7 for 5 minutes without getting sweaty and feeling sick. Similarly the moon based walk thing where you shoot little aliens also gets me sick (takes longer), but none of the other games do it. Supposedly because those games let you move independently from where you are actually looking, which this game does too.

What you said though matches most reviews I've seen. Stand alone, the game offers nothing new, but rather scales back what you expect in a shooter and is more like a shooter from the 90s. However, with the VR + gun, it adds a new level of immersion not really done before.

The design of the gun though....

From 2011, motion controller

5246910231_461b2bf347_o.jpg

Then in 2017 they made

27624254146_a7680b09bb_o.0.jpg

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah you have options in the menu for 3/4 (I forget what I saw) variations of movement. For me, I just move forward, I cannot turn using the analog stick on the gun. If I want to move in a different direction, I turn to face that way and then press forward again. It's like a perpetual strafe. RE7 I didn't get sick but I also counteracted the movement myself when I could. No sharp turns, slower turns, etc. But with this, it was fairly natural.

I am glad they didn't come out with the 1st iteration. (However, it would have been nice to take that back end support piece off if it could be used as a pistol)

The gun that came out is absolutely perfect. I just hope now it gets a lot of support moving forward.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Kinda curious about this. Made an impulse Vive purchase and the best thing I have played on it so far is some amazing paint ball game, and the Steam Bow & Arrow defense game. I should probably hold off before buying anything else VR related.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Kinda curious about this. Made an impulse Vive purchase and the best thing I have played on it so far is some amazing paint ball game, and the Steam Bow & Arrow defense game. I should probably hold off before buying anything else VR related.
Have you played Arizona Sunshine on Vive? Probably the best game I've played so far, on it.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Have you played Arizona Sunshine on Vive? Probably the best game I've played so far, on it.

I have not, I haven't touched my Vive in a few months. I'll have to pick that up, looks badass.

shishare

Golden Knight of the Realm
Enjoying the shit outta this so far.

Only on mission 3 so far, but it actually feels intense at a few points.

And it looks fantastic

• 1Like

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Is the bundle a limited time only thing, because i'm currently in the middle of a few other games and was going to pick this up when done. But if it's limited... i'll have to find it sooner than later.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Not sure on that one, but the game itself is $49, and the controller is 59. The game sucks without the aim controller. So if you were interested, get the bundle. Because either way, I doubt we will see a reduction in price on the aim controller any time soon, and the game would have to come down 75%.

Also, for those that own this - Make sure when you are done playing / powering down, do not put it in rest mode first. Seems there is a bug where if you do not turn off the PS4, the VR Unit (After playing Far Point) will stay on even if the PS4 is put into rest mode. Until they fix that, I highly suggest powering down the PS4 after playing and powering back up again.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
found the bundle and purchased, will finish up the 2 games i'm in then start this one. Thanks for the advice.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Heck, you could even take a break from the two games for an hour and fire it up. It's a short game. Supposedly 5-6 hours. But, even if you took it one hour at a time between the other two games, it's a very nice way to give it a shot.

• 1Like