Fear City: New York vs The Mafia

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Fear City: New York vs The Mafia

Genre: Documentary, Crime

First aired: 2020-07-22

Overview: New York City in the 1970s was ruled with a bloody fist by five mafia families, until a group of federal agents tried the unthinkable: taking them down.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
I'm a fan of mob stories so i'm looking forward to this one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll watch that, it's gonna have cliches, old news and anecdotes from people who weren't really there but I'm always up for mob stories and the FBI crusade against it. It's astonishing how the RICO act changed everything as it was tailored for italian-american mafia, their omerta and as the title says, the fear of being harmed. That law was from McClellan and it was a following of Bobby Kennedy's early 1960 crackdown on US Mafia. Some would say they waited for FBI's Hoover removal to go along with the legislation, but at the time the "being linked to a criminal organization is now federal, bitch" gig was something quite new, legal wise. It cleary broke the omerta law because being in the same room than someone could get you indicted. You'd then have to prove you either were there by accident, didn't no anything or were just some low-level associate. Facing 25 years prison really made people talk.

On the other hand, the american Mafia kind of brought thunder on itself, back in the day with The Apalachin meeting, and also when "disappearances" become executions, daylight activities filmed by reporters, made men living far over their livestyles, drugs at every corner and family feuds. It's also why both public safety and city policing failed, when people under protection felt safer than regular "civilians".

Youtube failed me but I recall some documentary back when The Sopranos aired, some news channel got along with a pizza / fast-food manager from 1975-ish Newark and he was implying that "we're had like 6-10 robberies a year but then some neighbourhood citizens he knew of went into my shop and said robberies are a disgrace, they maybe could do something about it, they own a non-profit private security firm and they can protect this shop, but since it's a non-profit gig they won't ask for money, just free pizza / coffee stuff and maybe use our store once in a while as a rallying point for unexpected deliveries "that can't wait" like fish, crustaceans, caviar, etc".

He of course was adamant about "yeah no more robberies" and (it was 1975) "even black people avoided the zone like we had plague"'. He finished by saying he never had to store anything in his backyard, answer nightcalls or anything else, he just had twice a week for months the same group of 3-4 people, clearly mademen, getting pizza and coffee, they were very polite, didn't ask for anything else, just drink their coffee, eat their food and go somewhere else. They everytime paid for their foods and drinks and never asked for anything free.

At this point you're like "yeah okay but what's the catch?". The manager revealed his shop was at a drug busy corner and their "new friends" didn't really care about rackeeting him, they were just here to mark their spot, to establish their territory and watch over their competitors drug trade wise. It's then heavily implied Mike Taccetta, being into drug trafficking and money laundering at the time, was up and about getting "lighthouses" in New Jersey to win a drug corners war. This "let's get friendly with civilans" gig was his way of doing more serious stuff. That's why the US govt had to pass the RICO act, there's lots of people being wronged but as a prosec you just don't bring pizza / coffee manager on the stand, you'll never indict anyone.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
every pizza store is a front, i used to work odd jobs w/ my guido friends at the pizzaria (we had like 4, they weren't going no where), you think you go into a pizzaria and those delivery boxes come like that?
181022092515-11-nyc-pizza---louie-ernies.jpg

no me and my guido friends folded boxes for 1hr and we got a pie.

or we'd bring shit outta the fridge

no like a home fridge, but a restaurant fridge, like a small room

and not on the first floor, in the basement

and not in the fucking building, the door is actually outside

5.jpg

fucking scary ass cellar is like almost vertical, we'd bring the pans of poofed dough up.

obviously they never asked us to bring up the sauce that was cooking, what sauce? it's just called "the sauce" you mook, don't ask. anyway i'm sure once the first teen spill a 12qt pot of sauce they never asked.

anyway, every pizza store is a front, i didn't know cars at the time but each one of these pizza stores had an exotic car parked out front (sorta like advertising, sorta not) and it was the owners...

exotic car... selling pizza for .50c a slice (i miss those days... now it's 2.75 a slice, wtf)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
TV show information provided by The Movie Database