February Book of the Month: American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
rrr_img_11829.jpg

rrr_img_11830.jpg

Released from prison, Shadow finds his world turned upside down. His wife has been killed; a mysterious stranger offers him a job. But Mr. Wednesday, who knows more about Shadow than is possible, warns that a storm is coming -- a battle for the very soul of America . . . and they are in its direct path.

First published in 2001, American Gods became an instant classic-an intellectual and artistic benchmark from the multiple-award-winning master of innovative fiction, Neil Gaiman. Now discover the mystery and magic of American Gods in this tenth anniversary edition. Newly updated and expanded with the author's preferred text, and a wealth of audio, this commemorative volume is a true celebration of a modern masterpiece by the one, the only, Neil Gaiman.

Relevant and prescient, American Gods has been lauded for its brilliant synthesis of "mystery, satire, sex, horror, and poetic prose" (Michael Dirda, Washington Post Book World) and as a modern phantasmagoria that "distills the essence of America" (Seattle Post-Intelligencer). It is, quite simply, an outstanding work of literary imagination that will endure for generations.

Posting schedule:

Book thread posted 1st of the month.
Reading begins 8th of the month.
Spoilers lifted 22nd of the month and next month's poll opens.

No posts from 1st-7th about the book or plot, can only post that you're participating.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I've never read this before and I'm excited. The paperback is about %60 bigger than Old Man's War (558 pages vs 351). So it'll probably be a two or three day read for me.

I got my copy at B&N. 7.99+ tax for the paperback. There was a larger softcover available for $14.99+tax.

rrr_img_11833.jpg

Smocca_sl

shitlord
I have a few books to read ahead of this one but I'll certainly have it done before the 22nd. It looks really interesting from the reviews I've seen.

dnL

Molten Core Raider
I read this a few years ago and enjoyed it enough to want to do a re-read. Good pick!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I am more than a little bummed about not reading the Genghis Khan book, but this is a good choice.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Will start reading it soon. It is one I always intended to read anyway, so this is a good reason to do it now. Hopefully I have time to read some of the others on the list that I've never read too.

I've been to 'House on the Rock' several times, it has quadrupled in size during my life time. Last time was a couple weeks before I read American Gods. It used to cost a buck to get in, now its $30. I am sure the two dudes from American Pickers want to be entombed there.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't have much time to read and am a much slower reader than most people here it seems, so I'll hold off and see if it wins next month. If not I'll probably just give it a go.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I've been to 'House on the Rock' several times, it has quadrupled in size during my life time. Last time was a couple weeks before I read American Gods. It used to cost a buck to get in, now its $30. I am sure the two dudes from American Pickers want to be entombed there.
I was there as a kid and vaguely remember it and the giftshop nearby. Given the time frame involved it must be vastly different by now from what you're saying. Had no idea it was featured in this book, that's kind of cool.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
American Gods is one of my all time favorite novels, I think I've read it like 10 times. Hope everyone else likes it.

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
Original or 10-year anniversary edition? 10 year one apparently has quite a bit extra stuff, like 15k+ words.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Reading begins now. Please keep all discussion of the book to spoiler tags until the 22nd.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Almost finished. I'll post my thoughts after the 22nd.

This book is fucking awesome.