Films off the beaten path

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Szlia

We had something going pretty well on MoreNetz with a similar topic. The idea: shine a light on movies you enjoyed that might not be known by you fellow posters! Old and new, foreign or domestic, comedy or drama, everything is welcomed as long as you feel it's worth encouraging people to discover a film they are likely to have missed.

Some quick examples from the previous thread:

Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead: hillarious and brilliant meta film following two secondary characters from Hamlet.

Farewell, My Queen: French revolution from its boiling sideline, that dynamites the codes of period movies.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Safety Not Guaranteed

From the makers of Little Miss Sunshine. My parents got it on Netflix, and my gf and I watched it with them. I almost flipped a shit when I realized someone took that classic internet picture and turned it into a whole screenplay. It's an ok movie, not great but worth a watch. Has some super nerdy references, leading to me laughing out loud awkwardly while everyone else was dead silent.

Pontius_sl

shitlord
Amelie. romantic, but very entertaining and well filmed.

Shine . From wiki : Shine is a 1996 Australian film based on the life of pianist David Helfgott, who suffered a mental breakdown and spent years in institutions

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
Ruby Sparks (2012)- an author with writer's block pens a story about a girl, who then comes to life. A great story about how sometimes what we wish for isn't always what we really need or want. One of my favorite films for the year, a great portrayal of how people view relationships through pre-conceived notions of what we want out of a soul mate, but how any real relationship blows those stereotypes and ideals away.

Celeste and Jesse Forever (2012)- an interesting portrayal of the difficulties of marriage between two non-equals - in this case, a woman with a promising career, married to a man with no goals, and how their relationship has drifted apart since getting married young to the point the woman wants a divorce....but is that what she really wants out of life? Stars Rashida Jones and Andy Samberg, so it technically is a comedy, but it has a lot of good dramatic moments in it also.

Happiness - probably the darkest comedy I've ever seen.
The woman and I watched this a few years back, and kind of enjoyed the first two thirds of it. After that it got really fucking grim with the whole sleepover storyline. I still can't look at Dylan Baker the same way.

Recently sawMidnight in Parisby Woodie Allen. It has Owen Wilson and Rachel McAdams. It's not exactly 'indie', but it's not mainstream either. Really enjoyed it: in the movie, one sees the Fitzgeralds, Hemingway, Stein, Dali, among others and the feel of old, ex-pat Paris is done well. Definitely recommend this one with a good six pack.

"Taking place in Paris, the film follows Gil Pender, a screenwriter, who is forced to confront the shortcomings of his relationship with his fianc?e and their divergent goals, which become increasingly exaggerated as he travels back in time each night at midnight.[4] The movie explores themes of nostalgia and modernism."

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Take Shelter
The Lookout
Beau Travail
Animal Kingdom
Tiny Furniture
The Proposition
Chungking Express
Shame
Jeff Who Lives At Home
Adaptation (big names attached, rarely meet anyone who has seen it)

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I saw a movie last weekend on netflix streaming called the Tall Man. I was expecting from the description that it was a horror film but it isn't and is actually a very interesting movie and was way better than I was expecting. So if you are bored and you have netflix check it out.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The Proposition

Shotgun Stories

Eastern Promises

American Splendor

Bronson

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bronson was great. It's even better when you realize that he real life was even more crazy then the movie. 26 years in solitary confinement for stealing $46lol

localhost

Golden Knight of the Realm
City of the lost children is some kind of obscure indie film?
I can understand that La haine is not know in USA but really City of the lost children is off the beaten path to someone watching movies?
frown.png

frown.png

frown.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

I would say yes. It's almost 20 years old for one, it's french for two and both Caro and Jeunet fell off the movie enthusiast radar a while ago for three.