Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

xaivius

Freelance Kwisatz-Haderach
<Gold Donor>
My retainers are all full of crafting materials that I never use, but hold onto in the event I feel the need to craft Heavensward era stuff lol
I've been culling off a bunch of older raw gatherable mats that I've been ratholing, mostly to make space for more glams and holding space for intermediates and more expensive materials. Cooking ingredients, alchemy reagents, and fish are absolute killers for inventory space. 4 full retainers just from those categories. Moving forward I'm focusing on current and previous expac intermediates. Earlier stuff is relatively painless to gather using retainer ventures at 15-50 per hour per retainer, provided you keep your gathering log up to date.

edit: TBF, life's also easier when your retainer page looks like this:

1713478863104.png

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I liquidate all my old shit whenever a new expansion launches. I really don't need a full retainer of old mats that I will probably never use. If I need old stuff I'll just buy some, or go gather it if it's not for sale(but nowadays with server hopping it's pretty much impossible to not find items to buy, even if it's like 10k for a single herb shit, money is irrelevant). I do use additional retainers but only 1 usually, and a second one during expansion release(so I can keep both my previous expansion mats and the new one, until I'm done leveling crafters and I know I don't need any of the old shit). The base 2 are filled with shit like tokens and other random stuff.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Being able to get 50 per venture now on anything not current expac (and even current expac when we're at this point in the patch cycle) makes it a lot easier to nuke some older supplies, as building a working stack of something takes only 40-60 min of retainer venture time. Still, I do find myself saving certain materials, ore and other raw mats especially. They have had a habit up until this expansion of having some important ore/lumber/ingot/etc require something from the current expansion and something from one 2 expansions prior...but in EW they kind of just randomly required different versions of older stuff.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've been culling off a bunch of older raw gatherable mats that I've been ratholing, mostly to make space for more glams and holding space for intermediates and more expensive materials. Cooking ingredients, alchemy reagents, and fish are absolute killers for inventory space. 4 full retainers just from those categories. Moving forward I'm focusing on current and previous expac intermediates. Earlier stuff is relatively painless to gather using retainer ventures at 15-50 per hour per retainer, provided you keep your gathering log up to date.

edit: TBF, life's also easier when your retainer page looks like this:

View attachment 525328
Bit of a noob question. I have an extra retainer that I pay for. Total of 3. Is there any way to get more retainers without paying cash?

Malakriss

The character creation environment should have been updated, but was overlooked as we prioritized the development of Dawntrail and tuning the graphical update in the actual game, for which I would like to apologize.

We are currently expediting a rework of the environments and light sources of character creation for both the actual game and the benchmark; once that is complete, the current benchmark will be replaced.

TL;DR they were so busy updating the engine they did not fix character creation which largely remained unchanged since PS3 days. Benchmark will have a replacement version soon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

TL;DR they were so busy updating the engine they did not fix character creation which largely remained unchanged since PS3 days. Benchmark will have a replacement version soon.
You can use the actual benchmark with your saved character though(replaces the default MC) so you can get an idea already of how it works in real conditions, but it's interesting they're going out of their way to do this now instead of just "fixing it later". They've said several times in interviews that the character creation was some outdated system that was really annoying to change cause it'd have to be reworked from the ground up(one of their many tech debt issues from 1.0) so it would have made sense to change it at some point before the benchmark and since they didn't to just shrug it off an ignore it until later.

Personally I had no real issues with my character being ported to the new system, that said I've seen many reddit posts about comparisons that did look weird, and apparently a lot of JP players were complaining on the official forums too. Not major complaints stuff but lots of people were annoyed some things slightly changed in the char they've been playing for nearly 10years kind of thing.

Malakriss

All of the complaints from West players was echoed in the Asian playerbase as well. Except the JP/KR communities thoroughly and meticulously compiled them into one big checklist, and that was significant enough SE felt they had to address it and not wait til xpac launch or 7.1

xaivius

Freelance Kwisatz-Haderach
<Gold Donor>
Bit of a noob question. I have an extra retainer that I pay for. Total of 3. Is there any way to get more retainers without paying cash?
Unfortunately not. First 2 are free, then up to 7 more are available at $3/month on the mogstation, plus the premium app includes a bonus retainer slot at $5/month.