Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Yeah if anything it makes it easier for healers to do more DPS since they have easier rotations.

Though I feel they are kind of bland. I wish they took one defensive ability from each tank and handed it to a healer instead.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think it would be cool for a Healer to have a defensive, yes. A defensive that I have to depend on as a tank, though? No thanks. Healers are already expected to keep everyone in good shape, DPS and now.. cast a defensive. I'm not sure I'm on board with that. Maybe if I had more experience with good healers, rather than bad.. But, the thought of having to depend on a healer to cast a defensive and then bring me back up in health after a tank buster terrifies me. Maybe just a general defensive, but you might as well be casting Power Word: Shield at that point.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I think it would be cool for a Healer to have a defensive, yes. A defensive that I have to depend on as a tank, though? No thanks. Healers are already expected to keep everyone in good shape, DPS and now.. cast a defensive. I'm not sure I'm on board with that. Maybe if I had more experience with good healers, rather than bad.. But, the thought of having to depend on a healer to cast a defensive and then bring me back up in health after a tank buster terrifies me. Maybe just a general defensive, but you might as well be casting Power Word: Shield at that point.

I think Healers should have the group AE defensive like shake it off. not personal tank cool downs.

TBH I just think they need "something" like literally one button to press more they seem a little boring.

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm
Maybe I am playing a different game or something because the talk of healers needing another defensive cooldown is odd. We have AOE defensive cooldowns. We need another dps button. 95% of high end healing is planning out defensive cooldowns so you can dps. Healers, tanks, and dps all have them. Sacred soil, fey illumination, asylum, wings, addle, mantra, natures minne, troubadour, etc. There are 4+ CDs on average per final phase earthen furies in e4s. The first few weeks of e4s clears if my monk didn't use the mantra or I missed my Fey illumination in the planned timeline someone should die because that should be one more whm glare.

Edit: That ended up being a ramble. TLDR there are already too many mitigation tools. Take some away and give us other things to play with so healing is actually a thing and not a game of memorization. Yes, I am bitter.

Last edited:

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
If they were to add more active mitigation abilities to the game I'm pretty certain it would not be to tanks or healers. The skill requirement for physical ranged dps now is at an all time low. Each role has a certain level of optimization unrelated to their rotation that can be the difference between a good and bad player. Tanks have responsive mitigation, melee uptime optimization, and boss movement. Melee dps have positionals and melee uptime optimization. Casters and healers have the casting tax, and slide casting optimization. Physical dps have entry level gcd and ogcd management now. They no longer manage resources for the party, don't have buffs like foe's requiem to optimize with party buffs. Physical dps do not interact with an encounter in any meaningful way at the moment other than press and forget party mitigation on a long cd.

Last edited:

Daidraco

Ive finished most everything up as a Warrior Tank that the game has to offer, except the newest Savages. I just dont know enough people (that play the game well) to build a group for one, much less do I really want to be obligated to a static group on a set schedule. Not that I'm averse to it, I just dont always leave work at a set time anymore. My gear is a minimum of 440 per slot, and I'm only time gated by the normal raid and tokens each week. Fresh character, so I didnt finish SB MSQ when it was still a party. Feel free to drop any pointers here, if you think I'm missing something?

Since I'm at that point with the tank, I was thinking about a healer next. Which, since theyre the topic of conversation right now... Which one should I really start to bring up when I get home this evening? White Mage or Scholar. I think I've heard too much "meh" or distaste with how Astrologian's currently are that I dont want to spend the time playing it if it truly is sub-par. After bringing up a healer, I was thinking Black Mage, and then Samurai. All in an effort to finish the role quests and see the end result. No spoilers, even if it sucks please! :p

Kantern

Ive finished most everything up as a Warrior Tank that the game has to offer, except the newest Savages. I just dont know enough people (that play the game well) to build a group for one, much less do I really want to be obligated to a static group on a set schedule. Not that I'm averse to it, I just dont always leave work at a set time anymore. My gear is a minimum of 440 per slot, and I'm only time gated by the normal raid and tokens each week. Fresh character, so I didnt finish SB MSQ when it was still a party. Feel free to drop any pointers here, if you think I'm missing something?

Since I'm at that point with the tank, I was thinking about a healer next. Which, since theyre the topic of conversation right now... Which one should I really start to bring up when I get home this evening? White Mage or Scholar. I think I've heard too much "meh" or distaste with how Astrologian's currently are that I dont want to spend the time playing it if it truly is sub-par. After bringing up a healer, I was thinking Black Mage, and then Samurai. All in an effort to finish the role quests and see the end result. No spoilers, even if it sucks please! :p

You can't really go wrong with WHM or SCH. However, imo, WHM is much more enjoyable in normal content / roulettes at higher levels. I only play SCH in savage. However, on the flip side leveling SCH also levels summoner so if you have any desire to ever play SMN or want to change it up during the leveling process that may be better approach. Also that is two role quests in one. Can skip BLM.

• 1Like

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
I don't really understand how people don't get bored with healer changes in savage, it just feels so trivial to deal damage / little thought required / so many defensive buttons you almost always have a button you can press to fix healthbars. Definitely don't like the design changes there.

Tank also sucks, except gnb and drk are sort of alright (?).

I really liked the story this expansion, and I think the savage bosses are all good (unusually - usually like 2-3 are fun). But the class design really seems to let the raiding game down.

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
Just built our first airship.

This game has an unbelievable amount of content

Airships / submarines are mega great - I have both maps full explored and as much of the shb new submarine map they added explored as possible. Good Gil and really fun idle game. I also enjoyed figuring out decent builds / getting people the odd minion or zu mount etc.

Daidraco

I don't really understand how people don't get bored with healer changes in savage, it just feels so trivial to deal damage / little thought required / so many defensive buttons you almost always have a button you can press to fix healthbars. Definitely don't like the design changes there.

Tank also sucks, except gnb and drk are sort of alright (?).

I really liked the story this expansion, and I think the savage bosses are all good (unusually - usually like 2-3 are fun). But the class design really seems to let the raiding game down.

Everything Ive heard and/or read has said that PLD & GNB were good, WAR was above average, and DRK was average. All can perform the job, some just do it a bit better. First time Ive heard someone say DRK was comparable to GNB, both were alright and the other two needed ... something more? Just curious, not calling you out.

Kantern

Everything Ive heard and/or read has said that PLD & GNB were good, WAR was above average, and DRK was average. All can perform the job, some just do it a bit better. First time Ive heard someone say DRK was comparable to GNB, both were alright and the other two needed ... something more? Just curious, not calling you out.
Tank balance is pretty awesome right now. They are all fine and viable. GNB is just the most fun because continuation feels so good. (My opinion) Warrior shines as usual from holmgang being on a shorter CD than rest of the invulns.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Just built our first airship.

This game has an unbelievable amount of content

Grats, me and my friend did our first a week or two ago. We fully upgrade it a few days ago. We're still trying to unlock Sector 8 which will allow us to have a second airship.

So far the rewards are not great, but having to upgrade has added a layer of stuff to do for us. Since we're just 2, building parts requires a decent amount of effort on our part with gathering the mats, and then crafting the parts etc...which keep us busy.

Right now playing 20-25 a week at most, I have more things to do than time to do it all which is great. :)

Last night, Tancred, Alissae, and Ysthola hit 80 on my trust. I still need to level Urianger, Alphinaud and Minfillia. Since my Scholar will be 80 with my next Trust run, I'll start on tank next...haven't decide between Paladin and Gunbreaker. In either case, I'll switch Alissae for Minfillia and use Urianger most likely to heal and level those 2 up with my tank. I'll swap Urianger for Alphinaud for the next job I level after the tank.

I'm almost done with the birds beast tribe to finish the Heavensward beast tribes, and started with the ARR ones already. I'd like to have all of them maxed eventually. I want all the mounts. :)

I finally finished decorating the main floor on my house, pretty happy with how it turned out. Started on the second floor, but need to figure out what I want to do with it exactly. The bottom floor is still empty and I have no clue what I want to do with it yet. :)

I finished Fates in Lakeland last week to get Rank 3, and started on Kholusi where I'm at 40+ of 60. I don't do that all that much though, but want to get them all to rank 3 eventually too. Hopefully they don't introduce a Rank 4 before I get them to rank 3. :)

In the last 12 months, I've played this for about 8 months in 2 stretch which is the most I've played a MMO in a 12 months period since probably Rift was released like 8 years ago, and I'm not seeing when I'll stop at this point...there's no MMO coming anytime soon that I'm interested in.

Only thing that might take some time away from this will be Destiny expansion.

• 1Like

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider

Talking about fun only / was meant to be read in conjunction with the first paragraph - balance wise I think paladin is probably the most useful tank but all of them are solid except warrior, which is unnecessary / has nothing unique that makes it worth bringing under normal circumstances. (There's reasonable arguments for pld/drk and pld/gnb, though drk is pretty much just 'tbn is really good, maybe damage in will matter in ultimate?').

Last edited:

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Main problem for healers is the savages aren’t really enough damage output on the raid, outside of maybe the last phase of titan. I’m not sure if healers need interesting dps rotations, just make the fights harder dmg wise so there can be more focus on how to keep the group alive rather than just hitting ogcds in between 1-1-1-1 etc

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm still grinding out these ARR story quests. This is brutal.

Malakriss

If you can hold out until the Ishgard part then you can game while knowing you survived the worst questing ever that they actually learned from.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I've just reached that icewall dungeon part, west of Ishgard. The end is in sight.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

These DoH/DoL changes making me nervous. I hope they dont nerf crafting/gathering difficulty much.