Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

stankwoo

Silver Knight of the Realm
Thanks for heads up on sale. I made an account last night and started the trial.

Feels weird that it isn’t WoW but the game is beautiful. I have not played a Final Fantasy before so all the cat people, giant yellow chickens with saddles, and weird ass white floating cats is wild.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's a simple game.. only one other listing on the market board but their retainer is gridania and yours limsa so you price match to let the buyer decide. Until they undercut you by 1 the following morning. Game on.

Daidraco

Thanks for heads up on sale. I made an account last night and started the trial.

Feels weird that it isn’t WoW but the game is beautiful. I have not played a Final Fantasy before so all the cat people, giant yellow chickens with saddles, and weird ass white floating cats is wild.
Game looks and plays completely different past the classic content. Which you would hope, but Im pointing it out because Classic turns so many people off.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Blue Mage to level 60 went live, and I have to say, the sync bonus to learn rate is pretty damn high. I've yet to not learn a single spell on the first try if I was in a sync'd run.

Also, move over 1000 Needles, because Launcher is here to make you obsolete for trash cheese. (But it does have a hefty price tag at 2500 mp.)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The sync change was in 5.1 actually, the new content just uses the same formula. Basically if you're synced, it's a 100% learn assuming it's not overworld/carnival. It's really nice compared to the shitfest they did in the ARR version.

1000needles was obsolete basically instantly for trash, besides maybe the lvl 15-20 dungeons. It did 1000 spread between targets, 5targets and you're doing 200each, which most other aoes would do also without having a horrible cast time.

Having a ton of fun with BLU parties tbh, the new skills make them really interesting.

I'd say BLU healing is currently more fun than any of the other healer. It has absolute garbage healing tools, Esuna is pbae and terrible range so you can't really dispel ppl without clicking on them to see where they are then running up to them and dispelling tanks is a gamble wether or not you'll just eat a cleave, aoe heal is either the same terrible range or White Wind which is OP but really mana hungry, you have no instant heals at all, your rez is on a 5mins cooldown so better hope you're not with a bunch of retards, but it's still more fun because all the time you're not healing, you have a ton of shit to do, including a shitton of oGCDs to weave. Also when needed they can spam heal the tank better than any healer, cause Pom Cure only costs 200mp but heals as much as the "strong" heals for normal healers which cost 1000.

Tanking is also fun but the damage penalty is way too high so it feels kinda bad, you do just garbage dmg while tanking. Also feels squishy, your only real good defensive cooldown is still Diamondback(you get Thrill but it's just not that great and BLU in general feels squishier). The provoke is also designed like garbage, making it aoe only means picking up a single mob off another tank is a pain in the ass. It's very easy to play though and on dungeons you can remove the tank stance after freezing trash to dump good damage.

And DPS overall is a lot more fun and interesting now that there's more than just one offensive skill. Bunch of cooldowns, bunch of oGCDs, still your dot, it's still kinda spammy but doesn't feel stale like it used to. It's not Ninja complexity but it's pretty fun.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As someone who used to play a Nin tank almost exclusively on FFVII until Dnc released how does the latter FFXIV version compare to it's counterpart? Did they completely re-envisage it the same way they did with Nin?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
As someone who used to play a Nin tank almost exclusively on FFVII until Dnc released how does the latter FFXIV version compare to it's counterpart? Did they completely re-envisage it the same way they did with Nin?
Yeah no class is the same, XI(that's 11 btw, what you typed is 7) had a lot more freedom in class design, so especially classes like BLU, DNC, RDM and other type of hybrids were completely reworked.

Dancer in this is a "support DPS" class, basically it's the lowest personnal DPS, but brings strong party buffs to do about the same average damage as other classes in its category. It's ranged, using Chakrams thrown at the enemy and has a varied system of procs and 2 additional ressources to manage. It also can choose a dance partner by putting a buff on them, and they share buffs with them, notably a very potent crit cooldown as well as a permanent small damage bonus after you dance. Dancing involves entering a mini DDR mode where the steps are selected randomly out of 4, and you press them in order to complete the dance. There's a basic 2 step dance for the permanent buff as well as a longer cooldown 4step dance that buffs the entire raid. They have some token healing but nothing like in XI, and can't tank at all. They have high mobility with a forward dash they can repeat 3 times in a row, and the out of combat movement speed song.

They're a fairly fun class, but they're not the jack of all trades they were in XI. They're also fundamentally different being ranged versus melee.

That's the reveal video from when it was added where you can see visually what it looks like:

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cheers for that and, yeah, typo on XI. Been one of those days.

Tempted to resub to XIV once I tire myself of Borderlands 3.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
So tempted to resub to this so that I can roll a dancer while just straight blasting Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" and Tina Turner's "Private Dancer" over comms.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

The only part about dancer that i find odd is just the time investment to do each of the dance abilities. Activate the step, trigger 2/4 moves, then cast. With a 2.5s global cooldown it feels really slow compared to other classes, but if it was in WoW or another game that went faster it wouldn't be as noticeable.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
The sync change was in 5.1 actually, the new content just uses the same formula. Basically if you're synced, it's a 100% learn assuming it's not overworld/carnival. It's really nice compared to the shitfest they did in the ARR version.

1000needles was obsolete basically instantly for trash, besides maybe the lvl 15-20 dungeons. It did 1000 spread between targets, 5targets and you're doing 200each, which most other aoes would do also without having a horrible cast time.

Having a ton of fun with BLU parties tbh, the new skills make them really interesting.

I'd say BLU healing is currently more fun than any of the other healer. It has absolute garbage healing tools, Esuna is pbae and terrible range so you can't really dispel ppl without clicking on them to see where they are then running up to them and dispelling tanks is a gamble wether or not you'll just eat a cleave, aoe heal is either the same terrible range or White Wind which is OP but really mana hungry, you have no instant heals at all, your rez is on a 5mins cooldown so better hope you're not with a bunch of retards, but it's still more fun because all the time you're not healing, you have a ton of shit to do, including a shitton of oGCDs to weave. Also when needed they can spam heal the tank better than any healer, cause Pom Cure only costs 200mp but heals as much as the "strong" heals for normal healers which cost 1000.

Tanking is also fun but the damage penalty is way too high so it feels kinda bad, you do just garbage dmg while tanking. Also feels squishy, your only real good defensive cooldown is still Diamondback(you get Thrill but it's just not that great and BLU in general feels squishier). The provoke is also designed like garbage, making it aoe only means picking up a single mob off another tank is a pain in the ass. It's very easy to play though and on dungeons you can remove the tank stance after freezing trash to dump good damage.

And DPS overall is a lot more fun and interesting now that there's more than just one offensive skill. Bunch of cooldowns, bunch of oGCDs, still your dot, it's still kinda spammy but doesn't feel stale like it used to. It's not Ninja complexity but it's pretty fun.

Based on everything here, it sounds like clearing A4S and A8S with an all-BLU party to get the Morbol mount might wind up being even tougher than Ultimate. Especially A4S because it's going to be a pain in the ass (impossible?) to use the sac strat for Pentacles.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The only part about dancer that i find odd is just the time investment to do each of the dance abilities. Activate the step, trigger 2/4 moves, then cast. With a 2.5s global cooldown it feels really slow compared to other classes, but if it was in WoW or another game that went faster it wouldn't be as noticeable.
GCD on steps is .5s, and 1s on the dance itself. That puts Standard Step at 3s total and Technical at 5secs. I might be remembering wrong but pretty sure those are the value. Rest is 2.5s GCD though and it's rather low on oGCDs so it can get kinda dull at times yeah, although the burst window when you do tech step+standard step and pop 4 feathers+potential fan3 procs+flourish is pretty intensive.

Based on everything here, it sounds like clearing A4S and A8S with an all-BLU party to get the Morbol mount might wind up being even tougher than Ultimate. Especially A4S because it's going to be a pain in the ass (impossible?) to use the sac strat for Pentacles.
Watching streams of people doing it, it didn't look harder than ultimate, but it's certainly harder than savage currently on other classes. There's a fair few issues with the class for some of the content. It's definitely going to be a super rare mount unless they decide to ease up the requirements or buff the class. It might become a lot easier next BLU update with 70 skills however, seeing as how strong the 60 skills were(Surpanakha especially).

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
The major issues with BLU doing any of the higher-end content are twofold:

1. Mechanics that "always target" a Tank/Healer will not "always target" a Tank/Healer mimicry, from what I've seen for myself. IE - Everyone has to be ready to handle things that only a Tank/Healer handled previously. Mechanics roulette every pull isn't a trivial matter.
2. Those acting as the tank(s) in particular have to have a lot more capability. BLU Tanks can get away with a LOT because of the existence of Diamondback, but they pay a big price for it in having no activity for the entire duration of Diamondback, as well as having no other mitigation beyond (technically) Mighty Guard. I was really sad that Cactguard can't be used on the caster. :(

Healers have a significantly lower burden than those acting as tanks, but that's largely due to the existence of White Wind. Honestly, I'm surprised they don't nerf White Wind to something like 3000mp, with Healer mimicry granting a reduction to the MP cost.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
So is NIN as potato DPS as everything I'm reading suggests? Haven't played since 4.0 when they could sort of pace a SAM but with WAY more rotation flux.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So is NIN as potato DPS as everything I'm reading suggests? Haven't played since 4.0 when they could sort of pace a SAM but with WAY more rotation flux.
You're probably reading complaints from 5.0. When the expansion launched they were bottom of the barrel and pretty terrible. They got some substantial buffs along with a rework in 5.1 and they're now just fine. They're not top DPS, especially not with an ingame parser since their personal DPS is balanced around Tricks Attack buffing the raid, but they're where they're supposed to be pretty much, give or take 5%. They work very differently than 4.x though, Mudras are on the GCDs now so there's less weaving going on(and less clipping as a result) but their rotation is pretty fun and they got a lot of QoL that makes them fun to play.

The only current real outlier is SMN which is way overtuned after the recent buffs and will probably eat a nerf soon.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
You're probably reading complaints from 5.0. When the expansion launched they were bottom of the barrel and pretty terrible. They got some substantial buffs along with a rework in 5.1 and they're now just fine. They're not top DPS, especially not with an ingame parser since their personal DPS is balanced around Tricks Attack buffing the raid, but they're where they're supposed to be pretty much, give or take 5%. They work very differently than 4.x though, Mudras are on the GCDs now so there's less weaving going on(and less clipping as a result) but their rotation is pretty fun and they got a lot of QoL that makes them fun to play.

The only current real outlier is SMN which is way overtuned after the recent buffs and will probably eat a nerf soon.

Nice! Sounds good, those Mudra changes were a long time coming.