Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Unless you arent even close to Shadow Bringers content, I just dont see how you can hold off spending a pittance of money for the expansion. The only part of the expansion I didnt like is that last town of tall ghost people or w/e. But that was only like 15 minutes of the entire experience, thank god. The rest of the expansion is gold.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Am I missing something? Everything just seemed so spread out and the voice..... noise? of the people was extremely annoying. At least to me.

Was only a pretty large part of the overall story with some reveals, but I guess it could be boring to some.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Unless you arent even close to Shadow Bringers content, I just dont see how you can hold off spending a pittance of money for the expansion. The only part of the expansion I didnt like is that last town of tall ghost people or w/e. But that was only like 15 minutes of the entire experience, thank god. The rest of the expansion is gold.

I get it if you're at "end-game", content locked, and Square releases an expansion tomorrow. But, I refuse to pay non-sale prices in today's gaming world. There is almost zero reason to pay full price for games nowadays with all the different gaming sites, aggregate sales sites, and thousands of options available.

• 1Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Amourot was cool, but the Tempest zone and Sahagin story leading to it were my least favorite parts of ShB. Mostly because the parts right before it were so cool and and that whole part killed the momentum. Luckily it was pretty short though.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Amourot was cool, but the Tempest zone and Sahagin story leading to it were my least favorite parts of ShB. Mostly because the parts right before it were so cool and and that whole part killed the momentum. Luckily it was pretty short though.

Maybe it was that? I dont know.. Just something about the end of the story line at that part was just... not that entertaining for me. I would have to go back and recap what happened, but I do remember feeling like you did before getting into that zone.. and that city. But it's whatever, truly. I liked the expansion far more than any other MMO I've played recently.

Kirun Kirun I get it man, no worries. I just figured this Corona shit would have you at the house more than anything else, and it would be a good time to dive into FFXIV. $20 instead of $40 sounds a lot more attractive. MMO's have saved me a lot more than what I could have spent, however.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Kirun Kirun I get it man, no worries. I just figured this Corona shit would have you at the house more than anything else, and it would be a good time to dive into FFXIV. $20 instead of $40 sounds a lot more attractive. MMO's have saved me a lot more than what I could have spent, however.

Sadly, I'm part of the "essential" portion of the country. So, my time to play is still constrained by work(even moreso now).

And without a doubt MMOs are one of the best dollars per entertainment hour you can invest in. I just have plenty of time to wait for a sale and I feel like the "MUST PLAY NOW" mentality is a way to cost yourself a lotta extra shekels in the current gaming year.

Merrith

Frankly was the stuff before the Tempest zone that was my least favorite where I thought the MSQ went a little off the rails. Weird trek through the 2nd part of Amh Areang where you need to help restore talos to push a cart to get you to where you need to go. Then the whole "have to build a giant talos out of rock and shit to pull down the floating mountain". Followed by waking up the sleeping whale creature to take you to the Tempest.

Once you were actually in the Tempest it seemed a bit more normal.

Cybsled

Tempest is desolate and the music is somber, so it’s sort of a sleepy feel. Then you get to the loregasm part and it’s awesome.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Easy on the spoilers, boiz!

How necessary is crafting in the grand scheme of things? The more I play MMOs, the more I'm starting to despise the timesink that crafting typically is, but a lot of my Free Company is claiming it's necessary?

Merrith

How necessary is crafting in the grand scheme of things? The more I play MMOs, the more I'm starting to despise the timesink that crafting typically is, but a lot of my Free Company is claiming it's necessary?

Not sure I'd say necessary in any sense. But it's been dumbed down to comedic levels how simple it is to level up with some of the helpful beast tribes and Ishgard Restoration.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

It's entirely optional, but it's great to have for repairing anywhere(including mid pull if you forgot and your shit breaks) as well as crafting gear for alts since the rest of the gear usually is time gated by weekly resets and such while the crafted gear is easy to get and if you skip the middleman and just buy materials and craft it yourself is very affordable, although as pointed out with how easy crafting is now to level, prices seem to have crashed pretty heavily for gear so even just buying it isn't as bad as it used to be.

But other than self repairing there's no direct advantage like in some other mmos where having a craft provides some passive stats or some special items or whatever. So not sure why your FC would say it's necessary, it's probably the least necessary crafting in a mmo since everything can be sold(and as such bought). Just leave it until cap/you get bored, it's pretty fun to do though there's a fairly deep minigame and skills and stuff, it's not your usual press one button wait for 3secs, item is done, repeat 90times to level.

• 1Like

Cybsled

The only "necessary" aspect is you need a leveled crafter to overmeld crafted gear, but for combat purposes, that would be pushing bleeding edge min/max territory in terms of "necessary".

That being said, crafting can be a decent income source or at the very least save you lots of money in terms of housing/glamour stuff. Crafting in this game is also a lot more engaging (ie, it isn't the WoW 'press 1 button' stuff...best way of thinking about it is your crafter gets various abilities like a combat class and you're "fighting" the craft).

• 1Like

Merrith

The only "necessary" aspect is you need a leveled crafter to overmeld crafted gear, but for combat purposes, that would be pushing bleeding edge min/max territory in terms of "necessary".

That being said, crafting can be a decent income source or at the very least save you lots of money in terms of housing/glamour stuff. Crafting in this game is also a lot more engaging (ie, it isn't the WoW 'press 1 button' stuff...best way of thinking about it is your crafter gets various abilities like a combat class and you're "fighting" the craft).

I thought they were removing the crafter class requirement to overmeld crafted gear?

Cybsled

No, they just changed it so you only need any single level 80 crafter vs. having the specific level 80 crafter class associated with the gear in question.

Merrith

No, they just changed it so you only need any single level 80 crafter vs. having the specific level 80 crafter class associated with the gear in question.

Well, that's something I guess. Although usually paid to level stuff mostly together. Maybe not nearly as necessary with all the new ways to level it quickly.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
So it sounds like you really just need one crafting class leveled then? Which would would work best for all the things that Pyros mentioned? Armorer?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So it sounds like you really just need one crafting class leveled then? Which would would work best for all the things that Pyros mentioned? Armorer?
Overmelding gear is something that doesn't concern most people. Basically it's only useful when a new raid tier is released and only if you're pushing for full clear early. It lets you use the new crafted gear tier and overmeld it with materias to get an advantage on gearing up before you get enough drops from the raid. But for most people, they progress so slow it kinda doesn't really matter, and if you don't plan on raiding it literally does nothing. Also technically while it's better to overmeld yourself since it can take a while, you could just ask anyone else to meld for you. Note that most people will pretend they're afk since this shit is boring as fuck to do and takes a long time, but even for that you don't actually need crafting. Also you'd need several millions to overmeld all your gear properly for every tier, so even if you were to lvl a crafter it wouldn't do that much until you have enough ressources to afford the shit you want to craft and overmeld.

Also leveling just one craft can be very rough. Most crafts require materials crafted by other crafts. If you want to make a plate armor, you'll often need leather, cloth or jewels from LTW/WVR/GSM on top of your own metal stuff(also wood sometimes, and quite often in heavenswards and later Alchemy stuff). The only crafts that kinda stand on their own are Alchemy and Culinarian, Alchemy still requires various materials when making books but for the potions and stuff it's just raw materials, while CUL sometimes require alchemy stuff(salt and what not) but that's not that common either. On top of that you can't get good crafting gear without making it yourself, can use scrip gear but it's really not optimal(although it's "enough" for casual stuff).

As for repairing, you need the craft that makes the item you're trying to repair(unless they changed that too not sure). So for heavy armor you'd need an armorer, but often your legs are going to be made of leather or cloth so you'd need these, jewelry is often GSM or CRP but also sometimes LTW and weapons vary greatly. The only craft that doesn't repair anything is CUL.

Overall my recommendation would be to give crafting a try in the early levels, see if you like how it plays out, and then start leveling it casually using daily and weekly turn ins(daily GC turn ins, weekly custom deliveries once 51+, daily beast tribes once you get to Moogle ones since Ixal is kinda shit for lvling). Or you can just ignore it entirely until you have enough money to just skip most of the annoying shit. Crafting can be powerleveled in a few hours if you have enough money. Or just not do it at all, as I said it's optional and many raiders don't actually have crafting leveled at all, just don't forget to repair your gear before doing content(there's a warning when your gear is under 40% durability when you queue).

• 1Like