Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well it's up to you, personally I had no issues buying an additional retainer when needed since the entry sub was lower than a normal mmo sub, so entry sub+retainer is about the normal sub price. But otherwise you need to remove a lot of shit I guess.

I have 2 retainers atm.

One has all the ShB materials, I threw away everything that was from previous expansions(I keep the odd stack of stuff that's needed right now, like say electrum ore or whatever so I don't have to rebuy them everytime I craft, but everything else is gone and I'll just buy some if I need them for something specific). Honestly that one is pretty much entirely full, there's a few things I don't keep but even then it's rough and they keep adding materials as patches go so that doesn't help(I sold all the 5.0-5.1 shit to replace it with 5.2 shit). Big trick is to lower everything to NQ so I don't have 2 stacks of everything, if I need specific HQ stuff I'll craft them, only exception is when I have an unnatural amount of HQs(for example I ran out and on the market the HQ stack was cheaper than NQ stack which happens every now and then).

The other has, like, everything else. I have materias(only VII and VIII for combat, I keep everything for gathering/crafting though), EX primal drops as well as totems for the mounts I don't have yet(I throw them away as soon as I get the mounts though), various tickets like craft/gathering scrip and squadron tickets, demimaterias (BC and FC 1-3 only), respec tokens for crafting and delineations, rare FATE tokens to buy shit in case they add new stuff(I should throw the SB ones away though) and such. This one is mostly full, although some stuff could be sold for space. I used to keep random raid drops like from doing raid roulette and shit but now I throw all of these away, if I want to grind some for glamours I'll do it specifically but no reason to keep all that crap.

Besides that I use my own inventory for a variety of things, common materials I'm using at the time if any, various squadron tickets I use often like MGP and spiritbinding(new), whatever current raid token is used(eden shit), eureka/HoH tokens(I've been cleaning most of that stuff but I still have some for whatever reason) and obviously the usual consumables and what not.

Finally chocobo saddlebag has fishing bait(I move the ones I need to my inventory and back once I'm done), relic items(mostly anima shit, I have a couple in progress although I don't really focus on it), items I want to desynth but can't(this was more of a thing before the patch where I'd keep desynth items to use the consumables and pop everything at once but with desynth changes it's only really just the token gear that can't be desynthed until the patch after), fishes I started accumulating for next expansion for GC turn ins, dyes(just a few colors that I tend to use on everything, mostly red black and white) and anything I need to dump temporarily.

Overall my retainers have like 2-5slots opened each so they're pretty full, my chocobo generally had 10-15slots open and my inventory has like 2.5 full "squares" full of random shit I always carry leaving the... 3.5? others free(forgot how many bags there is).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Good game to waste away a couple weeks, Hatorade Hatorade . Just wish I could convince my friends to play past the classic content. If I'm serious about getting someone else to play with me from this point on in this game, I think I'll pay for them to skip that part and start at Heavens. If they want to know the lore/story, they can play a second character or watch it lol.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Pyros Pyros Tarisk Tarisk Kirun Kirun Just grabbed this, making a new character. What server yall on?

I'm personally on Coeurl atm but honestly as long as you're on Crystal you can probably meet up with most everyone. Since you can visit other worlds on the same group. I think Crystal consists of Malboro, Coeurl, Balmung (RP lol), matteus, goblin, Zalera, etc. But I think some people might be on Gilgamesh which I think is a diff one.

Imo find one of the currently preferred servers. double exp for like 90 days after character creation I think for any job you play under level 70. That exp boost is insane.

Game is mostly a single player MMO anyway with group content like dungeons mixed in during the story and then end game/roulette's (Think of roulette's as the random daily dungeon from wow, just with multiple categories)

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
BLM is supposedly best on paper but it's probably my least favorite i've tried. IMO don't worry too much about "best" I feel classes/jobs are close enough unless you're doing bleeding edge raid difficulties that it doesn't matter too much. Play what you think would be fun and relative to your interests. You can always change jobs on the fly with a single character, don't have to re-roll. Each job levels independently so you can learn them separately and decide what you like.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Jesus it is all furry characters, give me a plant or dwarf race...something other than human/elf/furry.
Also yay for queues
1585943028763.png

Last edited:

Daidraco

Jesus it is all furry characters, give me a plant or dwarf race...something other than human/elf/furry.

Yes. I will say this is one game that my characters are actually Human. I didnt notice it when I first started way back in ARR > But when I came back and started a new character for Shadowbringers, I was like.. where the fk are Dwarves? Thats like a staple?

Then I found out that Final Fantasy Dwarves are...

If I have to stick to character races within the ffxiv - I'd like to see them implement the beastmen races as playable. I'd at least like to play an Ixal or something.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Anyone have a freecompany I can join? Going White mage, on Crystal server(Malboro)

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Anyone have a freecompany I can join? Going White mage, on Crystal server(Malboro)
FCs are server specific, you can join linkshells(kinda like chatrooms) that are cross servers and just generally do most stuff cross server, but FC and where you can sell items on the market is still server specific. If there's any, it's best to start on preferred servers(they're noted on the server list), as they provide a double xp buff for 90days on character creation up to lvl 70, and that works on crafting/gathering classes as well as alts so it makes finding the right class a lot easier since you can just lvl a bunch of stuff. Prevents you from server transferring for these 90days however.

Can't help you for forum people, I play on EU, and I only sub every now and then anyway, this is a really good game to just sub every few patches as there's always a bunch of new content, but I don't care much for the endless gear grind inbetween content patches.

Cybsled

I'm on Malboro in a FC called Sanctuary. We're not a hardcore FC, unless it comes to crafting/gathering lol (a few got the top 12 Ishgard Restoration titles). There are some people who do like to run Savage stuff, though. Guild is friendly and folks are usually good with helping people out.

Feel free to stop by my land plot in-game if you like. It's Goblet District, Ward 15 plot 13 ;p

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Quick question, one of the biggest hangups for me whenever I return is the sheer amount of garbage I have across my two retainers. They're both full to bursting and my backpack usually has around 5 slots max left in it, usually due to my Armoury Chest overflowing.

How do you guys manage it?

Should I stump up for a third retainer or just be merciless and dump stuff I'm never likely to wear even on levelling new jobs?

I only have the base amount of retainers , usually will pay for 1 extra for 2 month's after a expansion. After that you figure out what you need too "keep" around for class/gathering/crafting gear.. I only have Weaver and Alchemy at max though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I'm on Malboro in a FC called Sanctuary. We're not a hardcore FC, unless it comes to crafting/gathering lol (a few got the top 12 Ishgard Restoration titles). There are some people who do like to run Savage stuff, though. Guild is friendly and folks are usually good with helping people out.

Feel free to stop by my land plot in-game if you like. It's Goblet District, Ward 15 plot 13 ;p
Cool ended up switch to Zaeral(sp?) to play with a friend, just grabbed the level boost to 70 because they are all high level.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Cool ended up switch to Zaeral(sp?) to play with a friend, just grabbed the level boost to 70 because they are all high level.
Not sure if your friend didn't tell you but you need both the lvl boost and the story skip if you want to catch up, if you just have the lvl boost you'll still have to do all the story.

Cybsled

Yup. Everything in this game is gated behind the Main Story Quest (MSQ). ARR(Vanilla) is the slog (although the end of the post-ARR quests are awesome), but Heavensward and onward is good and you'll be denying yourself a lot of good content.

Daidraco

Hrmm.. The levels are the easy part. They fly by relatively fast, honestly. The story.. I would have skipped at least ARR. Heavens.. maybe. But thats all I personally, would skip.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I paid the 11 USD to skip ARR too as I already did it back at launch.

Is the ARR stuff where you take like 3 airships, zone 7 times, kill 1 mob, then do it all again to talk to the quest guy? I remember in my 20s the quest guy eventually gave me an ear piece, so we could communicate. "YAY" I thought, no more taking multiple airships and zoning a bunch of times for a 1 kill/ delivery quest! NOPE. Still had to do it ;\