Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Im really trying to like this game but everything I've done in it besides the trials/dungeons shit is absolutely boring as fuck.
Watched a video about buying skips and its 99% of people saying how its some rite of passage to slog through the content (their words exactly)
how is an entire community calling the content shit a good thing?

Weebs crying about crying during white mage story cut scenes... I stopped giving a shit about final fantasy storylines after 9 and every game after that has been full blown aids.
Maybe this game isnt what im looking for in an "mmo."

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Im really trying to like this game but everything I've done in it besides the trials/dungeons shit is absolutely boring as fuck.
Watched a video about buying skips and its 99% of people saying how its some rite of passage to slog through the content (their words exactly)

Weebs crying about crying during white mage story cut scenes... I stopped giving a shit about final fantasy storylines after 9 and every game after that has been full blown aids.

the ARR/base game is an absolute slog aside from a few parts. There's no denying that, i think the big appeal to suggesting people suffer through it once is because it comes together with some enjoyable key elements. I think they definitely could have done some parts better but without a complete rebuild, re-recording of lines, etc. It would be impossible.

It most certainly gets better in the first expansion, and I will agree that the dungeons/trials/raids are some of the best parts. But where it truly shines and takes over is in Shadowbringers so sometimes I wouldn't fault TOO many people for skipping no further than the start of that, if not for the introduction of some key characters at the end of Stormblood that go through Shadowbringers.

But it most certainly isn't a traditional mmo until end game and when you have no story to do but your typical MMO grinds if you just have to have those and it definitely has some more things of value to long time fans of the series with bonus raids/trials having bosses from previous games, including their mechanics. The game can hit you with some good nostalgia and great music.

• 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 user

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's also their planning methodology. It's an RPG first, MMO second. The story, etc is ALWAYS gonna take a forefront in this game.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

While I'll disagree entirely that no story after 9 has been full blown aids...it also makes it pretty obvious that this mmo probably isn't the one for you. Even if a lot of the initial ARR story stuff isn't up to par with the later expansion stories.

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider

Just skip story and cap/bash out some raids, you don't have to like the (mostly boring) msq to have a successful/enjoyable endgame.

(I do think shb msq is pretty good though, at least the 5.0 stuff).

Chris

Potato del Grande
If you hate ARR story like I did, you'll love Heavensward which has much less (but still some) forced returns to story NPCs and hate Stormblood which has an entire city zone dedicated to doing it for hours.

The actual dungeons/raids/trials are fantastic but solo and story content is abysmal.

What I really hate is losing control over your character in a game, it's in everything nowadays.

Classic WoW if there was an in game event you could sit and watch it while being able to check your bags or chat in guild. Now everything is on shitty rails.

• 1Solidarity

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I stopped giving a shit about final fantasy storylines after 9 and every game after that has been full blown aids.
FF games are about story first. Why would you play another one if you don't like the stories they tell? I don't understand. It's like wiping your ass with sandpaper: "It makes my asshole bleed, but I need the feeling of cleanliness. What are these wet wipes you are talking about?"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I've played this game on and off for years now and I still struggle with it. My breaks are usually around a year long and each time I return I'm surprised at how much they've changed job mechanics which usually translates to gutting and homogenising them.

That said, the most enjoyment I get out of the game is levelling jobs but generally once I max them out and catch up with the main storyline the rest of the game really fails to hold me. When you consider a huge driving factor for many people in this game is glamour and/or playing the market you get a sense of what you can expect out of your journey. Yeah, there are some, "Hell yeah!" moments in the cutscenes but there are way more eyeroll, "Not this shit again!" ones.

Also, if you are planning on playing anything other than healer or tank be prepared to wait upwards of 30 minutes to an hour for a party on non-peak times.

• 1Like

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
FF games are about story first. Why would you play another one if you don't like the stories they tell? I don't understand. It's like wiping your ass with sandpaper: "It makes my asshole bleed, but I need the feeling of cleanliness. What are these wet wipes you are talking about?"

If this game wasn't being pushed on the WoW community as being "better" when its anything but a sham of an MMO. Considering this game is being recently pushed in the MMO social media spheres of course I wanted to try it out.

Considering its an MMO and not a single player RPG Final Fantasy, your analogy is trash and obviously your butthurt that not everyone cares about the storyline which is clearly the only thing the game has going for it and even then you have to spend a substantial amount of time slogging through garbage to get to something even remotely entertaining.

They got me for $60 just to try out samurai so good for them, maybe they can add an alternative to their forced slow as molasses cutscene driven story and let people queue for random dungeons without needing the MSQ to unlock to max level and enjoy the game for its combat mechanics.

Unfortunately, they want to push people to spending $30(job + msq skip) to get to that part of the game, so I doubt it. I love how they cut maybe 10% quests from their mountain of bear ass quests and somehow that fixes anything.

This is the video that got me to download and play the game, desperately slogging through mountains of shit to get to the holy grail.

Nothing would have prepared me for the cringe that was in the duty finder party search.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you hate ARR story like I did, you'll love Heavensward which has much less (but still some) forced returns to story NPCs and hate Stormblood which has an entire city zone dedicated to doing it for hours.

The actual dungeons/raids/trials are fantastic but solo and story content is abysmal.

What I really hate is losing control over your character in a game, it's in everything nowadays.

Classic WoW if there was an in game event you could sit and watch it while being able to check your bags or chat in guild. Now everything is on shitty rails.
Finally got up the weird crystal tower lfr lite stuff but up till now it is still the go to a place kill 1-3 things watch cutsceen go back to base cut sceen get told to go to next room cut scene there is telling a story and then there is whatever the fuck this is. Maybe it was less blatent when you were forced to do side quests to keep leveled up but when you just do MSQ to MSQ it is getting pretty brutal.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If this game wasn't being pushed on the WoW community as being "better" when its anything but a sham of an MMO. Considering this game is being recently pushed in the MMO social media spheres of course I wanted to try it out.

Considering its an MMO and not a single player RPG Final Fantasy, your analogy is trash and obviously your butthurt that not everyone cares about the storyline which is clearly the only thing the game has going for it and even then you have to spend a substantial amount of time slogging through garbage to get to something even remotely entertaining.

They got me for $60 just to try out samurai so good for them, maybe they can add an alternative to their forced slow as molasses cutscene driven story and let people queue for random dungeons without needing the MSQ to unlock to max level and enjoy the game for its combat mechanics.

Unfortunately, they want to push people to spending $30(job + msq skip) to get to that part of the game, so I doubt it. I love how they cut maybe 10% quests from their mountain of bear ass quests and somehow that fixes anything.

This is the video that got me to download and play the game, desperately slogging through mountains of shit to get to the holy grail.

Nothing would have prepared me for the cringe that was in the duty finder party search.

Kid, you're jumping into a game that's almost 7 years old, 4 expansions deep.

What the fuck did you expect?

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

This guy makes me laugh my ass off.

First off, you spent 60 bucks on this game? Why in the f'n world would you ever pay that for a game this old? A quick google search and I found it for 30 with a free month. Second, are you so broke that 60 dollars on a video game causes you this much butt hurt? I get it that maybe not everyone makes the money I do, but f'k me man, $60 bucks is a night out with your significant other. Third, did you even research what made the game popular? Everywhere you go, everyone says "story, story, story" - what made you think that you were going to log into whatever MMO you last had a nut about and it be better?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am just doing the free trial. I think I am about done now I admit I was wrong I should have let the evil empire take over eorzea clearly its inhabitants are too stupid to rule themselves.

Fucker

Log Wizard

Even the dungeons are horrible. All the boss mobs are some variation of dance dance revolution/don't stand in the pizza. I think this is the first MMO I have ever played before losing all will to hit level cap. 4 levels away from it, just zero desire to do any one of the 1,000,000 boring activities this game has.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just about all major MMOs have embraced the "see fire on floor; don't stand in fire" method of bosses/fights in general. It's definitely a far cry from ye olde days of tank and spank bosses and CH chains. It's sort of the in-between of WoW-style frenetic gaming and the days of just pressing backstab 100,000 times until loot appears.

Though I'll be honest, I'm here for the story and the crafting stuff. It's cream of the crop in both, really.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Considering its an MMO and not a single player RPG Final Fantasy, your analogy is trash
I don't care about your butthurt. It's your fault for shilling out cash without research or picking up the trial. Also, for the record: I am currently playing WoW and am not subscribed to FFXIV. The latter game is okay with you not subscribed 12 months a year, they don't have to stretch out content like an old chewing gum.

I have seriously never heard from anyone that pushed FFXIV on the "WoW community" that didn't come with a set of caveats. And if someone did, then they did FFXIV a disservice:
It's an FF game first, and an MMO second. Like, it's in the name or something. The story comes first, and you get to experience it with other players. If you hate JRPGs in general or FF in particular it's not for you.

The pre-Heavensward story is not good, but picks up. Don't rush into it, you'll burn out. Don't buy a skip potion, you won't know who everyone is, because there is a set of characters that grow with the story. Except Minfilia, she is alway Miss Boobtube who uses you as her delivery boy. Nice boobs, though. Would motorboat.

The combat system is slow (with 2.5s GCD aimed at console players), but you can comfortable play from your couch with a controller. Very comfy, can recommend. But it has a hidden depth: There is a difference between weapon skills/spells (which are on the GCD), and abilities, which are OFF THE GCD. Now you have two buttons to press in 2.5s, and there are haste effects.

Here's the machinist core loop:
generalloop2.png

Here's the machinist core loop with abilities/cooldowns mixed in:
generalogcd2.png

Most classes/jobs get some abliities pre level 30, but it really picks up post 50. If you only play the first loop you can do content just fine, but people won't invite you to top end raids. They have DPS meters. They will most likely check, but don't talk about it. It's a bit schizophrenic, but FFXIV is also about social cohesion in the game.

Which brings me to the next point: The community is more relaxed, because different people get different things out of the game. In WoW the current Mythic+ meta has somehow permeated into normal dungeon running even at low levels, which made it about speedrunning and deathballs of mobs. LFR has killed normal mode raiding for family and friends guilds, and roleplaying was never a thing. Except for Goldshire Inn on Moon Guard.

In FFXIV the community is more relaxed: You are tagged as a newbie, so people don't expect things you can't possibly know. You have a channel with mentors you can ask. The game notifies people in the dungeon when someone does it for the first time. Mostly no one complains or bitches about it: They get double rewards for bringing new players successfully through the dungeon.

Also, as a newbie you get priority queue on instanced content you need so you can continue with the MSQ.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
All the boss mobs are some variation of dance dance revolution/don't stand in the pizza.
Compared to what? While you are leveling you are playing mostly normal level dungeons and normal/hard trials. Those are meant to be cleared by housewifes playing catgirls to catfish. The real endgame content is behind the Savage moniker, with Ultimate gauntlets added in. Also, have you done any alliance raids? They are FFXIV version of LFR with 24 players.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Compared to what? While you are leveling you are playing mostly normal level dungeons and normal/hard trials. Those are meant to be cleared by housewifes playing catgirls to catfish. The real endgame content is behind the Savage moniker, with Ultimate gauntlets added in. Also, have you done any alliance raids? They are FFXIV version of LFR with 24 players.

On those raids, do mirrored balls drop out of the ceiling and everyone gets transformed into John Travolta while a Bee Gees song plays?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Even the dungeons are horrible. All the boss mobs are some variation of dance dance revolution/don't stand in the pizza. I think this is the first MMO I have ever played before losing all will to hit level cap. 4 levels away from it, just zero desire to do any one of the 1,000,000 boring activities this game has.
I feel like it's better than WoW Dungeons/Bosses but yeah... I prefer Onyxia in WoW Classic with opaque mechanics you need to figure out that makes sense for what a Dragon would do.

What I love about FF14 is the controller support, I play healer with my PS4 Controller and it's perfect.

• 1Solidarity