Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Can I start to get better tradeskill gear soon? I checked the market and it's all still basically merchant garbage. There's some 60+ stuff, but it's super expensive.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
You can do collectibles and trade in tokens for better gear.
I mean disciple of the hand/land gear? Or is that what you mean? Google was only revealing tidbits of info about lvl 70/80 crafting gear, but I'm having a rough time mining certain things or reaching bonus threshholds with my awful tskill gear, so i'm trying to improve my gathering stats.

Goonsquad Officer
There are these little rowana booths in all the cities where you can turn in collectable items for yellow scrip, and scrip for gear. There may be an intro quest in....mor dona maybe? Note that I am mangling every name.

One of the booths are in Limsa near trade row

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
There are these little rowana booths in all the cities where you can turn in collectable items for yellow scrip, and scrip for gear. There may be an intro quest in....mor dona maybe? Note that I am mangling every name.

One of the booths are in Limsa near trade row
Ahh okay. I saw a rowena npc in gridania that sold all the poetics gear all in one place? Is that something different? I accepted all the quests in mor dona and am working my way through them. There's also a quest I got from a tradeskill guy there, but he wants a level 50+ pick and I can't find one. So maybe one of those will introduce me to the concept. What's the jist of what these collectibles are?

Is there really no general channel or zone chat or anything? How do I find a FC?

Cybsled

There is a FC finder in the game you can use.

Regarding trade skill gear, most of it is going to be "vendor" gear until you hit cap for an xpac (it can also be crafted), then the xpac has its own max level gear - the shit crafted by players, and Rowena sold stuff that you use the scrip for. If your gear kinda sucks, then Custom Deliveries (first opened in Heavensward) are easy scrip and XP for crafting/gathering.

If you have retainers and put them on missions, they can return tradeskill gear sometimes.

Mordhona has some trade ins you use to get recipe books, but they are very hard to do at 50. You're better off overleveling it and doing those at a high level to get easy high quality.

Goonsquad Officer

I mostly gather and I pretty much just used ultra rare fish to do my scrip to get enough skill to finish all the quests. I ended up using teamcraft to set up timers to know when the ultra rare fish in azys lla spawn. every few RL hours i'd hop in for 10-20 minutes bagging fish and thats how i got my gear. then i repeated it again when my gear got stale. I imagine there's crafty and (other) gathery 'easy' targets.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Does the barracks thing that exists behind your grand company matter? Do I need to build that up?

I'm so impressed with how good the character models look in this game tho, for real. It does make me bummed out not having alts because of it. I wish you could make a race/appearance combo for each of your jobs, and that would switch along with it, with, maybe your last name too. Making my retainer appearance is just like, damn, I can make so many cool/good looking characters, it's hard to even pick a style.

Last edited:

Goonsquad Officer
it's required for the higher ranks of grand company. no idea what is gated behind that. i know some working out emotes maybe a uniform. I didn't do it long, but it's the kind of thing you can just check on every day like the retainer.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Does the barracks thing that exists behind your grand company matter? Do I need to build that up?

I'm so impressed with how good the character models look in this game tho, for real. It does make me bummed out not having alts because of it. I wish you could make a race/appearance combo for each of your jobs, and that would switch along with it, with, maybe your last name too. Making my retainer appearance is just like, damn, I can make so many cool/good looking characters, it's hard to even pick a style.

You can get some emotes/glamour gear for you're GC from it.

But if you finish the how shall I put it, Mini-Quest line there you can get too a Captain for you're GC which has some items you can only get from there...

Chris

Potato del Grande
Maybe it was high end duties I was told to not bother with until later?
Probably extreme difficulty trials and raids.

Hard dungeons are just new dungeons on an old tileset at a higher level not actually hard difficulty.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
There is a FC finder in the game you can use.

Regarding trade skill gear, most of it is going to be "vendor" gear until you hit cap for an xpac (it can also be crafted), then the xpac has its own max level gear - the shit crafted by players, and Rowena sold stuff that you use the scrip for. If your gear kinda sucks, then Custom Deliveries (first opened in Heavensward) are easy scrip and XP for crafting/gathering.

If you have retainers and put them on missions, they can return tradeskill gear sometimes.

Mordhona has some trade ins you use to get recipe books, but they are very hard to do at 50. You're better off overleveling it and doing those at a high level to get easy high quality.
I can't find the company finder? There's a free company button under social, but it is greyed out?

Malkav

French Madman
For the first time in an MMO I've taken up healing and have been leveling WHM with a mix of dungeons/POTD, lvl33 so far...

By queueing for specific dungeons I always seems to end up in parties full of sprouts/returners and god it is painful. Returners mainly being worse sprouts. As a tank main during all of ShB, I've wanted to kill 90% of the tanks i've come across so far. It's like none of them use their AOE skills beyond one time at the start of the pull and then they switch up to single target rotation on 3+ mob packs and I'm like "but why?".

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
For the first time in an MMO I've taken up healing and have been leveling WHM with a mix of dungeons/POTD, lvl33 so far...

By queueing for specific dungeons I always seems to end up in parties full of sprouts/returners and god it is painful. Returners mainly being worse sprouts. As a tank main during all of ShB, I've wanted to kill 90% of the tanks i've come across so far. It's like none of them use their AOE skills beyond one time at the start of the pull and then they switch up to single target rotation on 3+ mob packs and I'm like "but why?".
Yeah dude, it is painful. I know I am a sprout too, but I know how to tank. I learned real quick that my healer was having no issue with 1 pack, so I started pulling more. I'm using all my defensives (almost entirely on trash it seems) and I spam aoe on 3+ mobs. I stun/interrupt mobs when they try to cone people in inconvenient positioning, and I face stuff away from the group. Took me about 5 seconds to do the math on the potency of my aoe attacks and realize that on 3+ mobs, always aoe. I mean, even 2 mobs, once you get a combo aoe the math works out. I think people honestly don't even look at the numbers on their abilities lol.

But lately I've been playing Scholar because it's been so fun and insta queue. And there are so many tanks that are so bad.

This is why I always play a tank. I can't cope with a bad tank, so I do the job myself. But it sucks cos healing is pretty damn fun, at least on what I've played so far, which is only Scholar.

The tank Smith duties need to be improved to teach these mechanics. They don't teach you to look at healer mana (which hasn't been an issue thus far, but maybe will?) They don't teach you pacing, they don't teach you facing. They do teach aoe, but it actually says doing single target combos is best for agro, so that's a bit off. They also don't teach using defensives strategically.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande

As a Gunbreaker I have a 3 skill AoE combo and a couple AoE cooldowns macro'ed together.

So I just do 1-2-3 4-4-4 1-2-3 1-2-3... forever. It's braindead easy.

Malkav

French Madman
Macros are terrible. No queuing and wonky as fuck. Good god please don't macro your combos.

Also, that GNB combo is 2 skills, and one AOE finisher.

And you should only be using your AOE OGCD (Bow Shock) in your No Mercy window.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
I'll leave this here as that may be interesting for some people. Like parsers, it's against the ToS, but as long as you don't go shouting around about it in game you don't risk anything.

goatcorp/FFXIVQuickLauncher

It's an alternative launcher that allows add-on support in game (add-on list here : Neat Plugins )

The main ones I personally use are XIV Combos (to consolidate some combos into one button), SlideCast (to display on the cast bar when it's safe to move without canceling), Mouseover Actions (it's kinda like Clique, you set a target priotity list for each spell, like mouseover > target of target > myself and it make it works with the actual spell button, so no fucking around with macro delays/queues) and RemindMe (trackings cooldowns and buffs).

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Since I started a new character: I don't quite remember when duty roulette started to rewards poetics. Is it at some point in the MSQ?

Malkav

French Madman
Since I started a new character: I don't quite remember when duty roulette started to rewards poetics. Is it at some point in the MSQ?

Leveling roulette doesnt award poetics. It only starts with MSQ/Trial/Alliance/50 dungeons roulette.