Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Out of curiosity, which starting city did you have? I've honestly only done Gridania with my character, so not sure how memorable the other 2 would seem. I loved started in Grid, though.
Ul'dah. The problem honestly is that the game has you running all over the place non stop. It's basically a fetch quest simulator. The thing games like EQ/Age of Conan did best was it had you spend a lot of time in certain areas so that you got to know them. FF14 tries to expose you to the entire world way too quickly. You're just running back and forth, taking an airship to other continents, porting back, rinse repeat.

On the other hand the combat is pretty fun and I've heard it gets pretty intense and more in-depth at 50+ so I'll just grind it out til then.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
TBH, the story and "flow" of the game gets significantly better as you continue on - I agree the first 50+ levels are a bit of a slog and a LOT of exposition/dialogue boxes.

I will say though, the latest XPAC was terrific imo and a marked improvement - really felt like a traditional FF game with raids
Ya I get it. It just tries a bit too hard at it imo. There isn't a single memorable place or experience so far for me in 27 levels.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malkav

French Madman
Ul'dah. The problem honestly is that the game has you running all over the place non stop. It's basically a fetch quest simulator. The thing games like EQ/Age of Conan did best was it had you spend a lot of time in certain areas so that you got to know them. FF14 tries to expose you to the entire world way too quickly. You're just running back and forth, taking an airship to other continents, porting back, rinse repeat.

On the other hand the combat is pretty fun and I've heard it gets pretty intense and more in-depth at 50+ so I'll just grind it out til then.

Plenty of social content if you chill on Limsa's Aetheryte Plaza. :D

Goonsquad Officer

oh yes definately. the core game has you chancec upon every major city, their rulers, their soldiers and then solve problems for each. it's pretty formulaic at the start.

For what it's worth, the ARRcontent is widely seen as annoying because of things like this. the 'good' of it is that all the world building they do now , they keep re-using. so in the future you return to a lot of previous places to t alk to a lot of previous people. they don't 'throw out' any old content so those three cities are the main three cities forever. it keeps building on the same info.

weirdly when you work on craft skills you are forced to visit guild halls for supplies and pop a squat to craft and you see more of the citizens twerking and petting lalafel. inversely, when you do the gathering classes, you spend a lot of time really getting to know the layout of the landscapes out of the city. not that everyone likes to trade skill, but when i got fisher up and targeted specific fish for quests or high market value i really got to know water sources around the world heh.

• 1Like

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Plenty of social content if you chill on Limsa's Aetheryte Plaza. :D
Meme Repost, but yeah.

degenerates-degenerates-everywhere-18ntdu.jpg

• 2Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I would play FFXIV but honestly I have no longer have the patience or drive to play MMOs. I came to the realization I’m done with them and they are no longer enjoyable to play.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The fact that I don't really feel like I'm playing an MMO is probably the main reason I'm enjoying FF14.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Goonsquad Officer
a lot of people describe FF14 as an RPGMMO not an mmo rpg. or as a single player rpg that you some times play with others. you can treat it like a normal FF game and just ignore any single aspect of the game. most seem to play it as a generic story rpg, and then mguffin collectable gathering with some style flexing on the side.

weirdly though, a fair few of the MMO refugee streamers keep marveling at how people are social on the side, or lurk in town or around quest hubs more than in other mmo's lately. dunno how valid that is, but i do see people all over when i play unless i'm in a weird corner of the world.

oh, also, like 40 pages ago some one mentioned 'instantly appearing harvesters' . ...apparently when people send out their gatherer's into the world...they some times show up out in the world? i doubt that's what you saw, but it made me curious if some were. they just "appear" around node spaces as though working.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Usually bots will appear out of the ground like a demon escaping from hell

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
a lot of people describe FF14 as an RPGMMO not an mmo rpg. or as a single player rpg that you some times play with others. you can treat it like a normal FF game and just ignore any single aspect of the game. most seem to play it as a generic story rpg, and then mguffin collectable gathering with some style flexing on the side.

weirdly though, a fair few of the MMO refugee streamers keep marveling at how people are social on the side, or lurk in town or around quest hubs more than in other mmo's lately. dunno how valid that is, but i do see people all over when i play unless i'm in a weird corner of the world.

oh, also, like 40 pages ago some one mentioned 'instantly appearing harvesters' . ...apparently when people send out their gatherer's into the world...they some times show up out in the world? i doubt that's what you saw, but it made me curious if some were. they just "appear" around node spaces as though working.
I've literally just been farming timed materials for quests and it would make a lot of sense for me right now to log out next to the Azys Lla Adamantite node and set a timer on my phone on when to log in and hit the node when it appears every 12 in game hours.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've literally just been farming timed materials for quests and it would make a lot of sense for me right now to log out next to the Azys Lla Adamantite node and set a timer on my phone on when to log in and hit the node when it appears every 12 in game hours.

When scrip farming, pretty much set up an optimized route of zones with nodes every 2 hours in game. If you can gather from nodes fast enough right as they spawn, at max level with 7 GP regen a tick you can just go from node to node without using cordials at all.

• 2Like

Juvarisx

Florida

This will probably help

you can set alerts on your browser so you can hear them in game / browsing whatever. Just click the nodes you want into your watch list and if you want a different expansion it has that too. Really helped with with white scrip farming at 80

• 2Like