Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It'll be cool to cosplay as Squall Lalahart but other than that there is very little that excites me about the upcoming patch.
Impossible, they could never get the Squall look to render properly on such sophisticated hardware

ffviii.jpg

SKTjHSb.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I tried getting back into this recently, I usually have fun for a while as it's a good game. I didn't last very long, basically was too lazy to relearn how to fight. 3 hot bars of abilities is not something I really enjoy anymore. I think I'm just getting too old. :)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Redoing all the crafting from scratch is pickling my autism.
Why are you redoing all the crafting? New account?

Shit was a pain in the ass cause of all the gear, it's only kinda ok if you keep all your crafts at the same tier or have like 4retainers for a while. Luckily I had maxed all crafting before I quit playing heavensward, I don't have any of the new crafting gear but not sure I'll bother, while I liked crafting in 2.0 and even had a few Lucis tools before Heavensward hit, the fucking red/blue scrips garbage was a pain in the ass and everything about crafting became annoying as shit so I didn't care much about it. Iirc also had enough money to last me for a while anyway, especially since I didn't buy most of the glamour gear since I didn't like most of it. I did lose my house at some point though, which kinda sucks as that was a fair bit of money wasted in the end.

I was planning to pick this up last week but internet down. At this point I think I'll just wait until 3.5.x announcement which should have the end of the story and start playing from that point or so. Should be enough time to get some decent gear from uncapped places for most of the classes before the expansion. I also need to level a few classes to 60 now that it isn't as painful from what I understand with that minigame cotd thing or whatever. I think only classes that still need leveled were DK/Machinist from 35-40 and Bard/Ninja from 50.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Photo Synthesis | FINAL FANTASY XIV: Developers’ Blog

Btw found that stuff pretty interesting, I don't know of many mmos which bothered with such features other than Black Desert, but they're adding what amounts to a "Photo mode" that lets you setup cool pictures and what not. It has quite a lot of options. It's interesting how much emphasis they put on this sort of stuff, from adding new dances, having group synced emotes, head following camera movement to stuff like this.

Malkav

French Madman
Holy shit. You can finally do shit with your chocobo out.

• Players can now access the following while their chocobo companion is summoned:
    • Duty Finder
    • Raid Finder
    • Deep Dungeon
    • Aquapolis
    • Instanced quest battles
    • Hall of the Novice
    * You cannot enter an instance with your chocobo companion.
    * The summoning time for chocobo companions will be paused upon entering an instance, and resume when returning to your World.
  • Players can now undertake the following duties while their chocobo companion is summoned:
    • Grand Company Leves
    • Gathering Leves
  • Players can now access chocobo porters while their chocobo companion is summoned.
  • Players can now summon their chocobo companion in a full party.
  • It is now possible to invite players who have summoned chocobo companions to join a party.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Holy shit. You can finally do shit with your chocobo out.

• Players can now access the following while their chocobo companion is summoned:
    • Duty Finder
    • Raid Finder
    • Deep Dungeon
    • Aquapolis
    • Instanced quest battles
    • Hall of the Novice
    * You cannot enter an instance with your chocobo companion.
    * The summoning time for chocobo companions will be paused upon entering an instance, and resume when returning to your World.
  • Players can now undertake the following duties while their chocobo companion is summoned:
    • Grand Company Leves
    • Gathering Leves
  • Players can now access chocobo porters while their chocobo companion is summoned.
  • Players can now summon their chocobo companion in a full party.
  • It is now possible to invite players who have summoned chocobo companions to join a party.
Only three years late. Yey

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lots of small quality of life changes in this patch, and some unexpected stuff too, looking forward to it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm honestly not sure there will be that many things. I mean you can see the chocobo change or the TP bar change(I think that's in from a while ago right?) that most people assumed were due to PS3 and that Yoshida might have said was due to PS3 at some point are now patched in the game even though it still supports PS3. I think it'll change the way they design their zones and stuff possibly, but not sure there's that many tech issues because of the PS3 specifically. I think not supporting the PS3 mostly saves them from having to make sure whatever they make runs fine on PS3 too, having play testers for the PS3 version and support for it and possibly having to submit stuff to Sony for both the PS4 and PS3 versions when they make updates and all that stuff that's just a waste of money/time.

I think a lot of their technical issues is having built the game on the remnants of a pile of spaghetti garbage code from 1.0 and they have to rework stuff in depth to make it work better, I'm not sure the PS3 is the huge limiter there.

Anyway recent interviews did mention 3.5 story is split into 2 and 3.5 part 1 ends on a cliffhanger, so good thing I didn't pick this up just yet I guess. I'll wait for the part 2 patch. It seems they're having a new permanent returnee program feature too that they're revealing after this patch, so that should be nice, they talk a bit about it in the patch notes but details come later. I just need to not watch the Frankfurt fanfest trailers since I assume they'll spoil 3.5 part 1 story like they did last time. Only really care about the new class anyway.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm hearing the new Relic grind is gonna be hell - it's definitely not a Lore/tome grind this time around, we know that much. The UI is making me think of something similar to Light farming on the old ARR relics.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I think a lot of their technical issues is having built the game on the remnants of a pile of spaghetti garbage code from 1.0 and they have to rework stuff in depth to make it work better, I'm not sure the PS3 is the huge limiter there.

It actually is, as the biggest issue on the PS3 is RAM. The PS3 has its memory split to 256 GDDR3 video memory and 256MB XDR system memory (of which the first firmware versions used 120 MB).

Also, FFXIV was rebuilt from the ground up with a different engine: FFXIV 1.0 used the Crystal Tools (which was used for FF XIII), while 2.0 uses a stripped down Liminous Engine (used for FF XV).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Found on reddit in the files of last patch:
jHOMe1J.jpg

Seems to imply the 2nd class is Samurai after all.

Obviously, a few devs like to put fake shit in the files just to confuse dataminers sometimes, so could still be something else, but eh.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm hearing the new Relic grind is gonna be hell - it's definitely not a Lore/tome grind this time around, we know that much. The UI is making me think of something similar to Light farming on the old ARR relics.

Nevermind, it wasn't that bad. Just some grinding once you know the sweet spots. Finished mine tonight.