Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just came back, some impressions, keep in mind I am not latest & greatest end game:

-New dungeons are pretty neat. Same stuff, decent challenges,etc.
-I can't even express the difference it made in my attitude and desire to play to be able to leave my chicken out while queuing for shit.
-Apparently using PoD for leveling other classes is way easier than any other method like fate/leve's. Especially since gear doesn't matter in PoD. I am still not quite sure why people run it. I think just XP and that i255 weapon, everything else is glamour or whatever
-WT(Wondrous Trials) are nice because every week you get a list of 16 random things to do, though you can only complete 9. Each one you complete you get a sticker that goes on to this bingo board type thing. If the stickers you get happen to make a line you can get some decent items/things as rewards. This alone is only a small perk, but what makes it nice is that it causes people to go back and do all sorts of older/strange dungeons that they normally wouldn't. So it's a good way to see things you may have missed or if you are new would otherwise never get to see.
-The PF(party Finder) being data center and not world is awesome. Always groups up there now for pretty much anything. I've formed groups for the most strange places and people will eventually join. There is also a little number next to a dungeon letting you know if there is a PF group up for that dungeon. Small but nice touch

As far as the classes/skills, seems like not much change yet, but I am not at the uber level of the game so I may not even notice. The big thing I would really like is for everything to be part of the Duty Finder window. Even PoD/Diadem/etc. As a new player it seems like there is too much to do and some things you have to go to a specific NPC to start it. When I first got back I had no idea where to go for this stuff, seems to make more sense to centralize it in an easy way for folks to find and participate, but that's just me.

I always thought the game was fun and that has not changed. Some major but simple quality of life improvements were made that made it more fun for me. There is still a fairly big wall with gear and mechanic memorization at the top most level, but that's currently like 3 zones/raids out of 100's so it's not a big deal. I'll always love the one character many class thing and think all games moving forward should do this. Also there can still be a ton of grinding for things like the epic, but considering you can get equal/better in just a few zones it seems like a moderate trade off for casuals.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Got a callback invite thing so picked this up earlier this week to get the story done before I really start playing again later a bit before the expansion. Took longer than I thought to get through, mostly cause of i230 req on the last step, but wasn't so bad overall. Had to redo Final steps 3times before I got grouped with half decent ppl, first 2 I was grouped with the same much better geared SCH who was apparently on "tank duty" and just spamming physicks and nothing else, was great having to heal all the tards standing in the fire with i210 until people start dying and leave.

Then for wall I had a really shitty tank and remembered how it is when you get blamed for shit by clueless idiots, fucker died to Claw or whatever the big hit attack cause he wasn't topped off, was my first run so eh whatever, but the fucker never used a single cooldown the entire fight even though it lasts like 5mins with the shitty DPS we had. But he dares say something like "heal better" before leaving. Shit has like a 3mins casting time but apparently that's not enough to find your sentinel/rampart button. So fucking rustled after that especially with how healing intensive the fight is meanwhile he had one fucking thing to do the entire fight, use cooldowns during the big long cast, and he couldn't even do that properly.

Anyway done with current stuff, I still have a bunch of content to go through but just wanted to get the story done before the fanfest stuff in case there's a spoiler trailer or whatever.

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah Sam dps and ill preorder. Otherwise Im not coming back. Still dont understand how half of reddit thinks a 3rd 2h tank is a good idea, when melee only has 1 2h dps (dragoon).

and then level 60 dragoon rotation is absolute aids and 0 fun to play

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well can assume rotations will change a lot with the expansion anyway, so Dragoon might not be as shit to play later on. Do expect SAM DPS though, it makes sense for them to just add more DPS classes when most people play DPS anyway. Kinda sucks as I wanted a new healer/tank but eh, maybe the reworks will make some of the existing classes different enough that they'll feel new.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yoshi-P in samurai cosplay, done deal. Now to see if it's DPS or tank.

Edit: It's DPS.

New trailer, skip to 2:08 to go to the end of the first trailer and see the new stuff

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Something tells me Auron clothing will be coming in some way with SAM confirmed. Hope they fix dragoon rotation with balance changes, having to predict how some fights will go for the next 30 seconds to make sure I don't pop blood of the dragon at the wrong time is complete aids.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah hopefully they went in depth enough with the reworks so all the whiners complaining about the lack of new healer/tanks get to play the older classes but more unique and clearly defined. Not that they'll stop whining, lots of people are super negative about the new classes being DPS even though the last "real" DPS class added was Ninja and that was even before HW

AST/WHM especially was an issue I think, the cards mechanic while fun doesn't feel that much different than standard WHM play other than adding some random minigame you can play while you're doing your job. And since they buffed it so hard, AST is just a lot better than WHM. Paladin too simplistic rotation and damage penalties should probably be looked at too

I'll wait for the live letter than shows the overall way their balance work is going but I'm thinking I'll do SCH/RDM/MNK/? for my 4 classes I want to play in Stormsblood. RDM looks like it'll replace my BLM itch nicely, but Samurai I'm not convinced and I liked Monk gameplay so probably will go that, but I might just go one of them only too since 2DPS tends to be useless. No idea about my tank choice and my healer choice is most likely locked to SCH barring some weird ass rework, I just love the fairy interactions so much

Fucking forums won't let me make paragraphs properly if I end sentences with a period

• 1Like

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'll be running RDM as its the class I've been waiting for, but I'm hoping PLD rework makes it enjoyable and actually gives you shield oath before level 40. Remember leveling up GLD in 2.0 thinking man agro is such a bitch in this game and completely turned me off, then played DRK and went "oh....no agro stance till 40 is cancer on cancer." MNK seems like it needs the biggest overhaul, all I ever hear is how trash it is compared to every other dps class.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Meh PLD aggro was only an issue from like 30 to 40 or so I wanna say, when the DPS get their jobs so start doing some more serious damage, and you get...whatever the fuck you get at 30 I forgot, so you fall behind. Before 30 though I didn't have much of an issue. In general I didn't have much of an issue, it's just you have to Flash like a fucking retard and it feels bad cause it does no damage plus your mp regen is ass so if you're chain pulling it gets harder to sustain unless there's like a boss to take a break(but shit like sunken temple has a fuckton of trash that goes on forever so...).

Wouldn't hurt to give Shield Oath at 30 though. Honestly I don't think PLD needs too many reworks otherwise, just needs to be competitive number wise with the other tanks. It's simplistic to play but that's alright, some people like it like that, gives you more time to focus on stuff and shit like clemency was actually a really cool ability(sadly don't get to use that often in high end content but still).

From what I hear about monk the only real issue is it doesn't have good utility. Mantra used to be good but I guess it's not so good anymore, crushing dmg debuff is worthless since monk is the only crushing class(supposedly SAM is gonna be another even though that makes no sense), the int reduction on dragon kick isn't unique so that doesn't help and I think that was it? There's also some design issues with fights that have too long breaks which force you to drop GL3 and then your damage takes a dive, and their aoe isn't so great, but as far as I understand the class still ouputs really high damage. It just has no synergy with other classes. Like for example if you look at damage rankings on FFlogs, Monk is #2 behind summoner in savage alex. But in all speedrun groups, there's no monk because you can get more raid dmg from other classes.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
"Casuals have it easier and skilled players get nothing for being skilled"

I mean I am casual. . .But stilll. .
I wouldn't say skilled players get nothing, they get easier rotations, so less attention required which gives more time to react to raid shit without fucking up cause you were trying to push that perfect rotation. It also possibly means your rotation gets less fucked by being targetted by stuff that forces you to run around and what not which with tight rotation can really fuck you over but with an easier rotation would reduce the impact it has(you still lose DPS, just maybe not as bad). Meanwhile retards hopefully can do more dmg than healers with the rotation, so that helps for pubbing shit too because regardless of how skilled you are, if all your DPS are terrible, you're gonna have a lot of trouble/won't be able to clear stuff.

The class specific UI stuff should be pretty helpful too, although you can customize the dmg meters to display bars and shit from what I've seen.

The more interesting notes is the fact they're planning for more or less the current amount of skills(which if they add 5 means they'll probably remove at least 5 things from every class by merging it) and they gave a tentative date for details, may.

• 1Like

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
The class specific UI stuff should be pretty helpful too, although you can customize the dmg meters to display bars and shit from what I've seen.

Can you elaborate on this? Curious as I currently use zero UI/Add-ons/whatever is available in FFXIV. I'd be interested to learn more.

Also I do hope they combine actions that have similar but slightly different functions. EQ2 suffered from this and long term it is a detriment to the game and most players. Like when you have 2 actions, that that does X+100 dmg and one that does X dmg but adds 10 sec 5% dmg buff. The perfect player ends up keeping the buff up but otherwise using the X+100 one. This is stupid in my opinion and not what "player skill" should be about. As mentioned above too if you have to spend the fight actually doing fight mechanics keeping that perfect rotation up is even harder. Also you end up with 10 action bars all full of crap. It's just stupid.

I know MMOs are not a MOBA, but I love DOTA 2. Each hero, baring some exceptions, has 4-5 skills. In theory items could add another 6 if you bought all clickable things. But the skill comes in for know when to use them, managing cooldowns, combining them properly, and coordinating with others. Granted MOBAs will always have an advantage as they are PvP but more buttons to press is NOT better in the long run. Least in my opinion....

• 1Like