Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I drift in and out with patches and stuff, but have no desire to raid the top end crap. I don't even bother with the savage stuff except to beat it one time so I can experience content. I'm just not interested in farming for that last +iLevel.

What keeps me coming back is probably the same thing that would in any decent MMO, hunt for a mount or minion or some crap, work on an epic a bit, but for FFXIV in particular it's the play any class thing. I will come back and pick some random class to dick around with for a few levels all while being on my character. It really has spoiled me.

That said I have not tried the new diadem stuff. I wish they would add shit like that and PoD to the duty finder window. I hate having to go to a specific area to join groups or instances.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Diadem is already boring. If Emergency Mission doesn't pop in the first 20 minutes most everyone leaves.

Wrathbane

Golden Knight of the Realm
Its the little things.

ujMdMpD.png

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
My buddies and I have been talking about playing this again. One of them has a character in the level 30 range, never finished ARR, and another has finished ARR but never bought Heavensward. Will they both need to do all of HW MSQ to proceed in the upcoming expansion? I figure the answer is yes, but I want to be able to tell them for sure.

I haven't played since shortly after the expansion hit, never did beat Ravana Ex, and had only done the normal A1-4. I'm patching currently, and am hoping there's some stuff for me to do for the next couple of months. Any tips or advice on where I should start? Hopefully there's some new Hildibrand stuff I haven't done, and some story things to keep me entertained while I shake the rust off.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
My buddies and I have been talking about playing this again. One of them has a character in the level 30 range, never finished ARR, and another has finished ARR but never bought Heavensward. Will they both need to do all of HW MSQ to proceed in the upcoming expansion? I figure the answer is yes, but I want to be able to tell them for sure.

I haven't played since shortly after the expansion hit, never did beat Ravana Ex, and had only done the normal A1-4. I'm patching currently, and am hoping there's some stuff for me to do for the next couple of months. Any tips or advice on where I should start? Hopefully there's some new Hildibrand stuff I haven't done, and some story things to keep me entertained while I shake the rust off.

Prioritize anything that unlocks content. MSQ, Warring Triad sidequests, dungeon sidequests, Alexander sidequests, Sky Pirate sidequests. Your iLevel won't be high enough to qualify for all of this stuff immediately so you'll have to jump around a bit, but as you do you'll get Tomestones that will allow you to purchase higher iLevel gear and keep going.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the info Kriptini!

Are any jobs pariah right now, or are they all in pretty good spots? Figure I'll probably level a couple of jobs over the next two months in preparation for the expansion. I've only got BLM and AST at max.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Right now I think Paladin, Monks and White Mages are the pariahs in each archetype. That said only relevant for Savage pubs/statics application or whatever, if you're just fucking around doing easier content, no one gives a shit, especially for PLD/WHM. Also not unlike wow, the differences are actually fairly small, people just make it more important than it really is(and savage got echo iirc last patch so it's even less relevant now). Finally the expansion will probably shake shit around so that's only important for a few months.

Last edited:

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks for the info Kriptini!

Are any jobs pariah right now, or are they all in pretty good spots? Figure I'll probably level a couple of jobs over the next two months in preparation for the expansion. I've only got BLM and AST at max.
For stuff to do, I unlocked all the new dungeons, in doing so I got high enough ilvl to basically progress through the whole expansion without a problem.

There is a new relic weapon. They increased the drop rate of everything but it still probably takes 20 hours.

Sky pirates will be your money shot for gear. It's the same as the old crystal tower. There is only a weekly restriction on the third one so you can farm gear from the other two.

Go see Khloe in Idylshire first thing. Her journal thing is filled by doing stuff you are already going to be doing so it's free.

Let people know you are a first timer, people will join you faster because there is a bonus for helping first timers out.

As far as classes right now, unless you are trying to do world first (which you can't because it's done) then nothing is really a big deal. I haven't seen any restrictions in party finder since I have been back.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The final word i've heard as far as the MSQ goes for SB:

You won't need to have done all of the ARR/HW story to access Samurai/Red Mage (and probably Kugane), but as far as accessing the SB MSQ, yes, you will have to finished the HW MSQ first.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Right now I think Paladin, Monks and White Mages are the pariahs in each archetype. That said only relevant for Savage pubs/statics application or whatever, if you're just fucking around doing easier content, no one gives a shit, especially for PLD/WHM. Also not unlike wow, the differences are actually fairly small, people just make it more important than it really is(and savage got echo iirc last patch so it's even less relevant now). Finally the expansion will probably shake shit around so that's only important for a few months.

I have no problems with MNKs or WHMs in non-Savage content but I cannot stand PLDs. They make dungeon runs take longer due to no AoE and the vast majority of them couldn't DPS their way out of a wet paper bag.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have no problems with MNKs or WHMs in non-Savage content but I cannot stand PLDs. They make dungeon runs take longer due to no AoE and the vast majority of them couldn't DPS their way out of a wet paper bag.
The only tanks that make the dungeon longer are those who pull more then they can handle because they think they have big dicks. I fucking hate when I heal Baelsar's and the tank runs through not grabbing any agro so me and the DPS are all dotted to shit by the enemy bards.

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Those bards random target spam dot, has nothing to do with enmity. Should be stunned and focused down asap.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Right but when the tank doesn't have agro those dots turn in to death sentences and when you have an extra bard mixed in the damage is already pretty big.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
If you're AST, it's better to break that first pull into two halves. If you're SCH, you might be able to get by using Selene's AoE cure to remove some of those DoTs but it's probably better to break it into two halves. WHMs shouldn't have any problem healing through those DoTs, though, especially if they can throw in a Swiftcast Holy.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Go see Khloe in Idylshire first thing. Her journal thing is filled by doing stuff you are already going to be doing so it's free

Someone else mentioned this to me, but all she had was a dialogue message for me. Think there must be a prerequisite quest or something.

Thanks for the info folks!

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Thanks, Fyff. I haven't done anything but MSQ since I got back. There's so much to catch up on and do, I wanted to take it piece by piece.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
So I've got Khloe's Wondorous Tales now. My question is how much of it resets when you get a new log on Tuesdays? Just the duties on the left, or do the stamps and rewards on the right also change when you get a new book?