Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't bank on ever getting more then the base 9 completion. If you work hard to get the 3 lines you will be really disappointed. Once you get 7 use some rerolls to try and line stuff up but getting more then just the first prize is basically super luck.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Well, after a week of play, I am thoroughly hooked again. My brother and buddies all seem to be really enjoying the game as well. Two of them start on Heavensward tonight, the other three of us are either working on 60 stuff or almost 60.

I did the Weeping City last night for the first time, got a Wind-Up doll that everyone rolled on, so I guess that's rare. I'm up to Baelsar's Wall on MSQ, so I've got to get my item level up. Kinda wild the last dungeon required 210, and this next one requires 230. I guess it's going to take me a week or two to get geared enough to finish up the HW story.

Sat in queue for a while trying to get into Fist of the Son on a couple of different occasions. I think I'm trying to join that raid at the wrong time of night, most likely. Haven't gotten into that one yet.

I'm currently ilvl 211. I figure for gearing up I need to do the Weeping City and Alexander Midas, as well as continue to get lore and scripture tomestones and gear. I only managed to get 200 scripture last week. This week I think I'll check out palace of the dead and try to grind the full 900 for the weekly cap. Otherwise, what else ought I be doing to get to 230 so I can progress?

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, after a week of play, I am thoroughly hooked again. My brother and buddies all seem to be really enjoying the game as well. Two of them start on Heavensward tonight, the other three of us are either working on 60 stuff or almost 60.

I did the Weeping City last night for the first time, got a Wind-Up doll that everyone rolled on, so I guess that's rare. I'm up to Baelsar's Wall on MSQ, so I've got to get my item level up. Kinda wild the last dungeon required 210, and this next one requires 230. I guess it's going to take me a week or two to get geared enough to finish up the HW story.

Sat in queue for a while trying to get into Fist of the Son on a couple of different occasions. I think I'm trying to join that raid at the wrong time of night, most likely. Haven't gotten into that one yet.

I'm currently ilvl 211. I figure for gearing up I need to do the Weeping City and Alexander Midas, as well as continue to get lore and scripture tomestones and gear. I only managed to get 200 scripture last week. This week I think I'll check out palace of the dead and try to grind the full 900 for the weekly cap. Otherwise, what else ought I be doing to get to 230 so I can progress?
What's holding your ilvl back? You can run weeping city until you are full 230. It takes like 4 hours in PotD to get a 255 weapon. If you are getting your 900 seals per week use it on left side pieces (you get 1 right side piece every week from running Dun Scaith which is the next raid after weeping city).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Since I had to do that recently too, make sure you run every dungeon once for the first time bonus even the older ones, so you can buy those i250pieces or whatever lvl they are. That and Khloe got me enough, but I had returnee chocobo feathers thing which give you a weapon and chest/legs of the current tome gear so that saved me a lot of farming.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider

You are not doing anything wrong, just keep at it. Weeping City and then tomes are your best bet to reach i260ish gear right now. There is slightly better out there, but you don't need it for anything but the savage raids and with the expansion coming out it will not matter much anyway. You can hit the 900 weekly cap *almost* just by doing the daily expert dungeon and a few other things here and there. PoD is also good for tomes and the weapon as mentioned above.

The reason you have to wait for First of the Son/etc is they are not really worth it right now. The gear is basically on par or below the tome/savage gear and just not worth it. The raids at least drop some material thing you can turn in for combat materia so those queues and dailies will move the fastest.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
Diadem's are stupid easy as well but require 230 ilvl to enter. They reward full sets of 265 gear but they are mind numbing. Technically you can get 280 weapons but they're so rare might as well forget about them. The 265 gear is somewhat randomized and you can get optimal pieces better than some 270's or sub-optimal that are worse than 260's. It's by far the easiest way to gear up currently; just a little hit or miss, and may make you want to quit the game sooner rather than later from the grind.

Malkav

French Madman
Do we have any news regarding the combat revamp?

And did they announce the start date for early access? I'm not finding any. I need it to take my week off from work as usual. :D

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Do we have any news regarding the combat revamp?

And did they announce the start date for early access? I'm not finding any. I need it to take my week off from work as usual. :D
Combat revamp info will be in may. Early access is like 3days earlier I think? Not sure.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Combat revamp info will be in may. Early access is like 3days earlier I think? Not sure.
Early Access is slated for June 16, the Friday before launch.

I'd be surprised if they drop anything of major substance during next week's Live Letter, since it's Q&A of non-battle stuff (per the OF thread soliciting queries).

Malkav

French Madman
Thanks guys.

Kinda find it weird that we know nothing about it 2 months before launch, but then again Square was never that transparent.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
They've been open about the normal stuff, but mechanics would be a spreadsheet and that is more of a Yoshi P letter than a big SE product advertisement.

Par for the course, really.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That's been their plan, I think they had announced back at one of the FanFests earlier this year that the combat revamp stuff wouldn't be until May. Sort of like the final carrot on a stick to keep our attention.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lots of good stuffed announced in the Live Letter today.

Sprint no longer requiring TP makes me moist.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, that's pretty legit. The huge inventory space increase is also awesome. So much more Armory room, which is great for newer players who probably have classes all over the spectrum. Some breathing room is nice, but almost all of my classes are at/near cap, so I'm only using roughly the minimum anyway.

I wonder if the flat inventory increase also effects retainers.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, that's pretty legit. The huge inventory space increase is also awesome. So much more Armory room, which is great for newer players who probably have classes all over the spectrum. Some breathing room is nice, but almost all of my classes are at/near cap, so I'm only using roughly the minimum anyway.

I wonder if the flat inventory increase also effects retainers.
They didn't really answer any questions about retainer inventory, only about if we can have more than eight (WHO NEEDS THAT MUCH, SERIOUSLY). My guess is it's strictly PC inventory, though.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I mean, I'm not a programmer or anything, but their reasoning alone behind why it's so hard for them to give us more inventory space just sounds weird as all fuck.

Something about how, especially on Tuesday reset days, there's a ton of items being shuffled around between characters via trades, looting, etc and it puts a crazy heavy strain on the server, so that's why we're getting this coming inventory slot boost in 2 parts - the first is really to test the waters Yoshi says, to see how the server can handle everyone's inventory being so much bigger, and if it works out he'll give us even more space.

I dunno maybe I'm just spoiled but more inventory space never felt like such a mountain to climb for the devs in other MMO's i've played over the years. Or maybe this game is just coded that wonky, who knows.