Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Any suggestion on what to spend Tome of Poetics on?

I could buy Armor for Glamour, but anything else beside that?

In the same topic, how about Centurio Seals from the Stormblood Hunts, nothing really interesting right now...will there ever be armor or weapons to buy with those?

Poetics? Same story as always I think.

1. i260 gear with them now for any/all classes, which may help the 60-70 gap if you are leveling
  2. Stuff for epic weapon(anima or whatever it's called). I just buy them and stockpile them, though I have no real intention of doing that weapon more than once
  3. some random stuff like orchestra scrolls or whatever. Not sure if there is anything you can buy that you can market for cash, doubt it but I have not done excessive research.

For Centurio Seals, they used to be useless, now they have a purpose:

1. You can buy Materia VI with them! So I think these are going to be the new farming material since you'll need materia with new gear.
  2. There are 2 pets I think, 800 each.
  3. Remember you can go back and do the HS hunts for Centurio Seals as well, and at higher levels it takes nearly no time, just the run and port and fly time if you wanted to double down on seals

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have all the Materia 6 I need for the first couple of rounds of gear already since it's one per item. Shit is currently dropping like candy.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Okay, so gonna level a healer;

WHM or AST? WHM seems like it has GREAT personal DPS and massive regens, whereas AST is about the group buffs? I've played AST to 40ish in potd and its fun, but haven't touched WHM

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So I'm 34 and want t o start doing Heavensward - is my best bet to do POTD until 50 and then proceed to HW?

Is there some gear I can easily obtain at 50 so I'm not stuck with my current shit-tier gear?

Janx

<Silver Donator>
So I'm 34 and want t o start doing Heavensward - is my best bet to do POTD until 50 and then proceed to HW?

Is there some gear I can easily obtain at 50 so I'm not stuck with my current shit-tier gear?
If you bust potd to 50 it wont matter (only need aetherite in potd) and you get top end(?) 50 gear automatically now when you hit it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

WHM or AST? WHM seems like it has GREAT personal DPS and massive regens, whereas AST is about the group buffs? I've played AST to 40ish in potd and its fun, but haven't touched WHM
Well it depends but overall AST is the better healer. WHM looks pretty fun though with all the instant free heals stuff. The thing is, AST is basically more or less a WHM that also has the card mechanic on top, so it's less boring in a way. Personal DPS isn't a big factor, at least for single target, difference isn't that big I think. For aoe then yeah, WHM is a lot better. AST also has good regens, not as good but still pretty good. If you're not gonna raid with the char then it's whatever, if you are AST would be a better choice probably.

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm

AST: Just flat out optimal for raids. Balance card is just too good to give up. Earthly Star filled a need and is amazing with how scripted FFXIV fights are. As for just leveling and dungeons? The class plays clunky as hell. Sleeve draw and the inability to dump spread cards now is pretty meh. You pretty much always want to make sure you have a Balance or Arrow in the spread before use. The class is loaded with a crazy amount of oGCDs and very little ways to weave them. Honestly, you don't really want to weave cards anyway you just want to get them on cool down asap. MP management is much more difficult compared to the other healers. MP costs are much higher (Aspected Benefic vs Regen for example). Sleeve draw helps by opening up more possibilities to Ewer. Important to maximize Celestrial Opposition with Lucid Dreaming.

WHM: Despite the pre-expansion doom and gloom they are in a good place. The new mechanics suck, but all of the new healer's mechanics suck for the most part. They just don't run out of MP. New Assize CD/Thin Air/Lucid Dreaming being more than shroud is awesome. They are pretty much what scholar was in 3.0 when it comes to MP. Dungeons are an absolute blast as WHM because you can do everything and anything and never run out of MP. Thin Air + Holy Spam yes please.

You didn't ask for SCH so I won't go into details. But in 3.0 they were one of the most rewarding / skill based classes to play. Weaving oGCDs on SCH felt amazing. That pretty much is gone now. It is just not very fun anymore and I am skipping SCH leveling for now and moving onto DPS.

Raiding is going to be AST/SCH or AST/WHM (possibly AST/AST) depending on the fights. AST/SCH (AST/AST) will be the go to for speed because of SCH getting stratagem and if there are any necessary DPS checks. However for progression don't be surprised if you see a lot of AST/WHM. WHM can flat out break healing situations with little repercussions on their MP. They already can easily solo both extreme primals. (AST can too, but WHM is much more forgiving.)

Last edited:

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Just appears or is there an obvious questline?
Just shows up as a package in your inv that says it can only be used in a major settlement. Once used it just spits out a full set of higher ilvl level 50 gear.
2wced84.png

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Is it worth doing the classic MSQ chain all the way through versus whatever that POTD thing is? Even if just for story/fluff/etc.?

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Is it worth doing the classic MSQ chain all the way through versus whatever that POTD thing is? Even if just for story/fluff/etc.?
If you havent done the MSQ though end of HW i dont believe you can even access stormblood. So yeah you gotta do the MSQ. Or buy the potion that skips it up to stormblood.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just shows up as a package in your inv that says it can only be used in a major settlement. Once used it just spits out a full set of higher ilvl level 50 gear.
2wced84.png
Awesome thanks man.

By the looks of my potd groups it should take me 8 months

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Flight

Molten Core Raider

If mainly for raiding AST no question. I'll disagree slightly with other folk and say for healing WHM is stronger. If you like healing itself I'd say WHM, if you like a complex class that heals as well as spending time shuffling buffs then AST. Takes a good player to do well as AST - demands physical dexterity and mental agility.

Malkav

French Madman
I have all the Materia 6 I need for the first couple of rounds of gear already since it's one per item. Shit is currently dropping like candy.

Wrong, you can meld VI on every normal materia slot. It's pentameld that's limited.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wrong, you can meld VI on every normal materia slot. It's pentameld that's limited.
I haven't tried melding any yet because this gear will literally last until next Saturday. The live letter Yoshida said 1 per gear. Have you tried putting in more then 1 per item?

Malkav

French Madman
I haven't tried melding any yet because this gear will literally last until next Saturday. The live letter Yoshida said 1 per gear. Have you tried putting in more then 1 per item?

Not mine but :

ywy1OaL.png

The patch notes were also clear :
"Attempts to affix grade VI materia will always result in failure when used as the second or later materia in advanced materia melding."

The limitation is regarding advanced melding.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Even with 2 per piece I have enough right now to easily take care of my Omega gear. We will see if they keep handing it out like candy.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Even with 2 per piece I have enough right now to easily take care of my Omega gear. We will see if they keep handing it out like candy.
Well unless they actively remove the ways currently I don't see much of an issue, hunts drop those cluster whatever things and dungeons give a bunch of VI all the time. I'm not sure if white gear can be spiritbound>convert for VI but that's probably not a big deal. And it's likely they'll add more ways if anything, like new demimatters turn ins from the 24mans and Chloe's journal stuff if they update it.