Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Cut scenes are one of the better parts of this game.

They really are, but you can watch that shit in an inn room, where you are not selfishly making strangers who are probably about to carry you (if you are watching a cutscene it is your first time and you are likely going to die to random insta-death mechanics) tap their feet while you watch movies.

Not you specifically, but the general 'person who makes people wait till they watch a cutscene'.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Armin

Peasant
I don't get the leveling in this game, tbh. I'm 52 on my first character so I'm going through the MSQ...all of the sudden at level 50 the experience per quest was basically quartered, although the game is practically drowning me in higher ilevel gear all of the sudden. I guess it's going to become a longer leveling grind but good gear is brainless and free. Kind of a weird and inconsistent pace, I guess.

I've also been skipping cutscenes. Unfortunate in a story-driven game, but when you're the only guy on the party list who isn't level synced...probably safe to assume that the other guys just want their rewards.

Also amazed at the teleporting. I played EQ way back when and went from The Vision (TM) of waiting for the boat or paying druids and wizards 10pp for a port to point and click instant teleports anywhere in the game. I'm not necessarily complaining, just amazing to see where MMORPGs are these days with player convenience and shit.

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
I don't get the leveling in this game, tbh. I'm 52 on my first character so I'm going through the MSQ...all of the sudden at level 50 the experience per quest was basically quartered, although the game is practically drowning me in higher ilevel gear all of the sudden. I guess it's going to become a longer leveling grind but good gear is brainless and free. Kind of a weird and inconsistent pace, I guess.

I've also been skipping cutscenes. Unfortunate in a story-driven game, but when you're the only guy on the party list who isn't level synced...probably safe to assume that the other guys just want their rewards.

Also amazed at the teleporting. I played EQ way back when and went from The Vision (TM) of waiting for the boat or paying druids and wizards 10pp for a port to point and click instant teleports anywhere in the game. I'm not necessarily complaining, just amazing to see where MMORPGs are these days with player convenience and shit.

After the clusterfuck pain in the ass that 2.0 was with forcing everyone to suffer through all the cutscenes in Castrum Merdianum and The Praetorium over and over again, SE made basically all of the story content that occurs in a dungeon play after the run is complete. You really aren't missing much by skipping post 2.0 content.

I was the same way and just would watch them on youtube if I was curious.

Faltigoth

They kill XP for the MSQ stuff after you hit level 50 (or 60 in Heavensward) - so you essentially end up grinding out a shitload of story quests for almost no experience. It is not pleasant to finish ARR/Heavensward and then realize you have like 6 patches worth of lengthy, unskippable story to go through before you unlock the next area, story that is going to get you jack and shit.

Cybsled

Ya, once you get to Heavenwards, the main quest stuff bumps back up to the 40k per quest again. But it makes sense. I'm level 56 now and only just past the meeting with that pope dude. The daily roulette stuff gives a fuckton of XP if make sure to do those every day.

On a side note, the other day I tried to get a lot of the dungeon hard/extreme stuff done and did the Tara Tam or whatever one. Pretty much the creepiest shit I've seen in a MMO lol. Always knew healers were psycho wraiths at their core ;p

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Live letter is on apparently, they started releasing new info

Full album of the sliders they've shown so far, some nice QoL stuff and a bit of new content. Interestingly I was under the impression the supersavage thing was gonna be Deltascape, but it's Coil, with apparently Twintania, Bahamut and Nael in the same fight(or maybe it's just the promotion image that shows them).

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yokai Watch event returns in about 3 hours. Nothing changed just turning on the event from last year. Why? Because Level 5's CEO did not finish his sperm mount and begged Yoshi.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Yokai Watch event returns in about 3 hours. Nothing changed just turning on the event from last year. Why? Because Level 5's CEO did not finish his sperm mount and begged Yoshi.

Please tell me that's the real story.

EDIT: I read this as Level 3 at first. That would've been much more interesting...

Last edited:

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider

God this event fucking sucked. Got my mount and maybe 5 of the weapons and decided never again

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ya, once you get to Heavenwards, the main quest stuff bumps back up to the 40k per quest again. But it makes sense. I'm level 56 now and only just past the meeting with that pope dude. The daily roulette stuff gives a fuckton of XP if make sure to do those every day.

On a side note, the other day I tried to get a lot of the dungeon hard/extreme stuff done and did the Tara Tam or whatever one. Pretty much the creepiest shit I've seen in a MMO lol. Always knew healers were psycho wraiths at their core ;p

Do I assume correctly you read the notes in there too? Those are the best! It's a true love story.

(And is my wager what will happen to Krip Bigalow, Tini Gigolo in his RP future.)

Last edited:
  • 1Picard

bho

our static is looking for an AST replacement if anyone is interested. o4s on farm. aether data center pm me!

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
That instant Noct shield is great for GCDelta cheesing. I've seen too many SCHs get petrified because of Adlo's cast time.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
So, in late October, I am moving back from the UK, to SF (and LA next summer). I am looking for a decent high pop NA server to move to, where the economy is alright but not overpriced.

I am sort of casual: SAM(228), WAR/PLD(226), BRD (222), WHM(218)) so I use PF mostly and don't have a static. Any suggestions on a realm? I know it mostly doesn't matter with cross realm, but open to suggestions. I probably won't be looking for a static until new year at this rate given all the travel, so it mostly comes down to marketplace economy.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The highest pop one i've found next to the completely locked Gilgamesh/Balmung is Leviathan and i've only seen transfers open for here if you check MogStation at like 5am-7am EST.

• 1Like

Ripster

Molten Core Raider
Just started this game again, played for like a month at launch and between horrible ui and potato computer it wasn't worth it, but I do remember having a good time with the content I did play.

The newest expac got great reviews and after a painful shopping experience with the website (seriously it took a week just to buy this game on my old account), I've rolled a big axe dude on brumhilda or whatever server.

My question to you guys is: do I savor the above average story, music and voice acting and take my time through the original content and middle expansion, or kind of rush through it for the newer stuff? I do enjoy the slow pace but I work a lot and don't really want it to take 4 years to get to the new stuff which I can only assume is better.

I guess there's a double xp permanent buff til 60, so my intuition says just do the main story and class quests and fuck every side quest. Any reason not to do that?

Still unsure of what it takes to do a second/third/whatever class and if that's required to not be gimp on my main.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It depends on how fast you do stuff. As a warrior the most time efficient way to level after main story is running dungeons. I did all of the side quests mostly to get them off the map. They really aren't worth it unless you want to stop and smell the roses.

With the double exp I doubt you ever hit a slow spot but if you do it will be around the end of the new expansion or around the end of the first expansion.

Edit to add: you no longer need other classes. They did away with that.

• 1Like

Ripster

Molten Core Raider
Nice thanks. So main quest and then que for dungeons as tank and fly up? So WoW but I'm ok with that.

Can I expect to get to beginning tier raids in a couple months of 3 hours a night and 8 on weekends?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Unless you are absolutely horrific at video games, you'll hit cap in a couple of weeks most likely at that rate. The first couple of "raids" in the xpac are main story quest fights, and while I haven't played in a little bit the jump in gear power after each "tier" releases tends to heavily trivialize previous raids unless they get iLvl capped.

Especially as a tank, you'll be flying through levels and the main story quest, because your queue times will be borderline instant for -everything.-