Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
2nd Ultimate clear by EU today. As for Cactpot the head of one of my linkshells won it this summer and then some jackoff BLM that shows up at hunts won it a couple weeks ago. Random is random.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Started leveling up a Bard and have yet to see a single other player in the beginner areas on Gilgamesh. Has server lock really gotten this bad or are all servers like this nowadays? Might be time for a transfer

Malakriss

Server lock has really gotten that bad. If it isn't off by 4.15 or god forbid 4.2 the server will be fucked.

Cybsled

It's the server lock. The unlocked servers usually have plenty of noobs running around, although half of them are probably bots lol

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's surprising they didn't remove it soon after 4.1 tbh. I get keeping it for 4.0 to get new players to create elsewhere, and I kinda get keeping it for 4.1 due to housing, but should be removed now. Not that Gilgamesh was easy to make chars on though, you basically could only make one right after maintenances and not even all the time, the only way was to transfer. Granted now you can't even transfer.

I moved to one of the new EU servers when SB launched and was very happy with my choice, although it ended up one of the more populated EU servers based on queues it seemed like. But lots of new players and shit since there was the bonus and lots of endgame players too due to free transfers, was great.

I unsubbed soon after I was done with my 4.0 stuff though, I'll resub for 4.3 or 4.4 or something, do the new shit then unsub until a few weeks before 5.0.

Actually playing FFXI atm, they had some sale for it, I figured 10bucks is probably worth it, everyone says the story and stuff in XI is great. Shit's so archaic it's hilarious, but it feels nice to remember old places I had completely forgotten about.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Wouldn't know, only played on gilg. I've read that absolute silence for hours on end is a normal thing though, and I don't see any sort of up to date linkshell lists anywhere.

The conversations I've seen go like this:
: <hunt mob> at <coords>
: lfg

Sometimes, I get a tell to join a FC that has 3 people online.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Yeah that's been my experience to a letter, hopefully they are still offering free transfers off cause fuck that.

Malakriss

Hunts aren't going to be a consistent thing any more except for maybe first week after 4.3 and 4.5. Relic weapons and relic armor will be tied to Eureka rather than an eso style grind, that leaves hunts for combat VIs, +10 current capped tome, and whatever you want to spend the old stuff on rather than any real progression.

Gilgamesh CS: 2 hours for them to respond to reports of reseting a hunt mark. Over 2 weeks with no response to the guy botting all of the hunts and instant pulling ARR S ranks.

Last edited:

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Wow, the casual farm phase is over in a blink. I have two items under 310 and I just finished the msq yesterday. And that 450 cap is laughably quick.

I really like the last boss of Skalla. He's better than a lot of Primals. At least until I realized you can completely fuck up and get hit with two mechanics at once without even being in danger of dying.

Guess I need a FC or something for nutscape.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
Guess I need a FC or something for nutscape.

For what it's worth, I farmed all Savage Deltascape on my samurai/paladin/warrior using PF without ever joining a static or FC. I found the game incredibly casual friendly and fit well with my highly variable random binge routine.

YMMV but my reply is "No, not at all. You can play as casually as you can with WoW"

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
4.1 questline is, uh... well I guess it's just unfair to compare to Heavensward, which shit all over ARR and Stormblood.

I think I just want a FC for the drunk chat.

I wonder if I'm better off taking a free move off gilg. I don't think the free 1 mil offer is there anymore.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You can get 1m if you pay for a sub with more than one char slot, just need to hit 30 on a char for the first time to get it so once you transfer wherever you can make another char and hit 30 on that and get 1m. If anything it's worth doing on a random server for the 15days sub, if that's still going. Takes like a couple of hours to get to 30 on one of these servers due to 100% bonus xp(which doubles everything, including the bonus xp from items like moogle cap and RAF feather and the xp ring from SB or wherever it was) so as long as you want to stay subbed, it's a free 15days.

But yeah you don't get the rewards for transferring with a char, only for making a new char.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The Lakshmi music caused my penis to shrivel up and fall off before I could mute it.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Roxon

Molten Core Raider
Downloading the trial for this now. Any pointers? Best class/race to start with? Does it even matter? Server you all play on?

Cybsled

Races have different starting stats, but equipment more or less erases those and they are extremely negligible. Play what you like race wise (90% of the servers are female Miqote and Au Ra lol). Your class determines your starting city.

Classes you start with a base class. Around 25-30, they evolve into a new class. For instance, rogue -> Ninja, Pugilist->monk, gladiator->paladin. For Heaven's Ward, you can pick some new classes like Dark Knight, Machinist, etc around level 30 (which is odd, because you cannot unlock HW until you beat the regular main story quest which goes to level 50). At level 50, you can pick Samurai or Red Mage if you have Stormblood. The HW and SB classes start at 30 and 50 respectively in terms of what level the job/class is.

Link to page with info

Class - Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn Wiki - FFXIV / FF14 ARR Community Wiki and Guide

All the classes play fairly differently. Bard is a ranged DPS class and they have buff songs. They are currently a really strong pick. I main samurai and monk currently (both melee DPS). All the healing classes can also DPS (especially summoner...summon bahamut = GG DPS meters). You can switch jobs once you hit a certain level...I think 10 or 15? You literally can pick every class in the game and level them if you want. You don't really need alts in this game, one character can level every class/job and swap between them at will. Inventory management becomes the rough part with lots of dif roles lol.

Crafting is also like any regular class...you basically turn into a crafting/gathering class and have to level it. Some people don't like it, but it is somewhat interesting and you'll make a fuckton of money if you put effort into it.

I don't think there is a forum guild. I'm on Marlboro myself. If you notice, the game has a list of preferred servers. If you create a character on a preferred server and end up subscribing, I think you get some really nice XP boost bonuses and some starting stuff. Join a guild (called Free Company). Active ones have guild buffs which give you XP bonuses for leveling. I got invited to a random one on my server when I was new and they are really active, be it casual stuff and they have some raiding groups for those who want to do that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

4.1 questline is, uh... well I guess it's just unfair to compare to Heavensward, which shit all over ARR and Stormblood.

I think I just want a FC for the drunk chat.

I wonder if I'm better off taking a free move off gilg. I don't think the free 1 mil offer is there anymore.

I actually thought the 4.0 SB questline was really strong, even compared to HW...but I'll agree 4.1 was pretty soft and just more of the "after we won" shit. I hope it picks up rest of the way.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
They changed which worlds are congested and which are open. Only congested NA server now is Balmung. None in EU.

Preferred worlds now are :

NA : Couerl, Diabolos, Exodus, Goblin, Lamia, Zalera

EU : Lich, Omega Zodiark