Final Fantasy XIV

Discussion in 'MMORPG General Discussion' started by Guzrog, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Merrith Well-Known Member

Merrith
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    They're clearing hinting at something more coming from the Empire. A lot of the "threads" in HW got not very satisfactory finishes too. The Warriors of Darkness, all the random "oh hey we set it up where it'll be this huge adventure to find all of our missing companions from the end of 2.55...but random Soandso saw them here and poof, reunited". The Dragonsong War stuff was all great.

I can see where we did kind of "win" too much...but honestly I didn't want the liberation stuff dragged out as my story patches, I want more from the main story as far as real threats go. Empire, Ascians. Give me more of that.

2. Pyros Well-Known Member

Pyros
    Ratings:
    +198
    There's a lot of stuff left at the end of 4.0 imo, maybe not as much as 3.0 in direct threats(no Nidhogg still running around to kill later) but still. Sure yeah the Empire got his ass kicked and you liberated the cities, but other than the obvious reconstruction which will take a long ass time and is done on 2 different fronts, there's the characters stranded on some island as a nice cliffhanger at the end. On top of that, you're now basically on the edge of the Empire after having openly started a conflict with them, which means there's gonna be more fuckery coming. Kicking them out of occupied territories doesn't mean that suddenly the Empire is done for and won't send armies to take back their shit, so while the threat isn't as near as Nidhogg was, it's still there to be used at some point.

In some ways, the 4.0 ending leaves a lot more follow up in the future and an obvious window into 5.0 content. 3.0 had its own contained story and while it wasn't done at the end of 3.0, finishing it during the further patches was only about closure for this part of the world and not much more. While 4.0 is only the start of what will probably be concluded in 5.0 story when we go and actually kick the Empire's ass all the way to their capital. It will probably create some epic buildup, but it'll probably be slow.

Also 2.1 and 3.1 were all kinda shitty anyway. The patch following the big climax of the expansion scenario is kinda like whatever. It should pick up in 4.2/4.3 until it fully starts the 5.0 hype.

That's why I don't resub for every story patch, I like leaving 2 or 3 of them, since they're often a bit lacking on their own.

• Solidarity Solidarity x 1
  3. Rezz Registered Orca
    DONOR

Rezz
    Ratings:
    +597
    Plus it leaves with you more than one Hilde quest to do in a row! Always good for entertainment value.

4. Valorath Active Member

Valorath
    Ratings:
    +201
    Have they implemented the relic weapons for SB yet?

5. Pyros Well-Known Member

Pyros
    Ratings:
    +198
    No, I think they moved it back? Not sure but usually it should have been patched already since it generally is released halfway during catch up patch, so with 4.15. Might not be until 4.2 now.

6. Malakriss Well-Known Member

Malakriss
    Ratings:
    +1,165
    Relic weapons (and possibly relic armor) is tied to the Eureka zone (name not finalized) which was pushed back to "at least 4.2"

7. Rezz Registered Orca
    DONOR

Rezz
    Ratings:
    +597
    I really liked the initial implementation of the Artifact weapons in WoW with the latest expansion; it would be pretty cool if getting the Relic shit was a bit of a hassle, but you could keep it relevant over time for the expansion by doing other stuff in game. I mean it'll probably follow the multiple tier stuff like the other ones, but it would be pretty neat if they deviated a bit.