Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cybsled

Just be aware economy will be inflation town in 4.2 because of the housing boom (happened when Shigone launched). Even with sub-level 50 crafters or gathers, you can make some serious money selling materials or housing items on the auction board.

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Anyone have a group that needs help from a full savage cleared tank? Created an alt on Aether that doesn't have any clear flags yet for omega savage, my main on Elemental is full cleared.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Whats the easiest dps to play? GF and me are going PAL/WHM duo together but she wants to play a 2nd class while i'm working. She is new to MMO's so the easier the better even if its not a top dps.

Was thinking summoner as the class is cutesy but didn't know if pet management was tricky on here.

Cybsled

Samurai is fairly easy and murders stuff pretty fast, plus it starts at level 50. Only caveat is you need at least one class at 50 to unlock it.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Red Mage doesn't seem all that hard either and comes with a heal and a rez. Down side is, again, you need to reach 50 in another class before.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Whats the easiest dps to play? GF and me are going PAL/WHM duo together but she wants to play a 2nd class while i'm working. She is new to MMO's so the easier the better even if its not a top dps.

Was thinking summoner as the class is cutesy but didn't know if pet management was tricky on here.

All the DPS can be pretty tough. I think I find Samurai and Red Mage are really easy to play but they require a level 50 prior. Black Mage is really easy up to level 50, but it does get quite a bit tougher from 51-70. Monk is probably the easiest melee DPS other than Samurai because all the abilities flow well together. Summoner is easy up to 60, but gets pretty intense if you want to eek out all the DPS you can. I personally find Bard and Machinist horribly hard to play but your mileage may vary on that one.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Sounds about right yeah, SAM and RDM are both fairly simple, with RDM being the easiest of the 2, but they both require Stormblood and a lvl 50 and they start at 50 which can be a bit tough for newer players since you kinda want to sit down and read all your skills and stuff. I'd say SAM is easier to play when you're used to the game, but being a melee you have more stuff to dodge, lower GCD to think of your next move and positionals to deal with, so RDM turns out easier in the end I think.

Out of the older classes, MNK is probably the simplest, but it's not that easy. Every attack is a positional and while the rotation is simple, it's not THAT obvious, although you can an unoptimal really easy rotation. Once you learn the rotation however it flows very well and there's no proc to look for or random elements(only your 5pt combo thing that generates automatically and when it's ready it does a ding noise and then you press the button to punch with it during a GCD, nothing hard).

Dragoon rotation is quite a mess and it doesn't help you constantly have to change it as you level up plus the animation lock jumps can be deadly. Blackmage is pretty simple at first but it gets more complicated and endgame BLM damage optimization is super annoying. SMN is also hard to optimize, although iirc the basic rotation isn't that bad, but have to keep track of dots and counters for stuff to line up and what not, plus you have to babysit your pet a little bit(fight specific).

MCH and BRD are pretty intensive gameplay and require paying attention to a bunch of other stuff like dot duration, procs and support abilities(especially on BRD you have to keep track of the tank health and cooldowns to use yours efficiently in the middle of your complicated damage rotation).

Cybsled

No English translation yet, but don't need a translation to see all the FF6 goodies next patch. Phantom Train and Kefka!! Plus I am pretty sure I saw Warmech from FF1 in Deltascape quickly.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Live letter going on, some details on various stuff:

Housing, they'll add 6wards(from 12 to 18) with subwards for each as usual so a 50% overall increase. They're also locking individual buying houses for a little while(I'd expect a week) so FCs can buy them(might be specific for only large houses not sure). They're also restricting houses to 1FC house and 1 individual house per account(rather than per char like it is currently) and finally they're adding a timer when you leave a house to prevent/make it hard to sell houses(currently leaving is instant so the buyer can just grab it right away and the transaction is easy but I'd assume they'll make it takes a few days/maybe a week, which would make it hard to sell stuff especially if the counter is visible since anyone could see the plot and camp it).

New Sigmascape raid is FF6 themed. 1st boss is Ghost Train, 2nd boss seems to be a gimmick fight inspired from Relm's ability Sketch, 3rd is apparently Atma Weapon and 4th is in all likelihood Kefka since Dancing Mad kept playing during the live letter, with I assume the crazy final fight form in savage.

They've shown Byakko who interestingly isn't a tiger, but a guy with a tiger floating around him.

Other random changes, chocobo saddle(70additional slots, unclear on the conditions), fashion contest once a week for MGP rewards+special rewards, new UI option to adjust the sound of abilities and voice for other characters(no more catgirl yaa spam) then the usual patch stuff.

Last edited:

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
This game needs a setting to auto ignore all tells. Seriously the "Join my FC" spam tells are way worse than the gold seller spam.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You can filter out tells, works the same as an ignore all. Might as well join a random FC though, if only for the free TP and the FC buffs, there's no penalty on leaving a FC afaik.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I may be making a return here, only so much SWTOR a mind can take. Plus Red Mage is awesome and I miss blasting the hell out of shit and looking dashing af while doing it. Not quite LOTRO Captain awesome but pretty close.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
You can filter out tells, works the same as an ignore all. Might as well join a random FC though, if only for the free TP and the FC buffs, there's no penalty on leaving a FC afaik.

I don't have it in me to join some FC with a bunch of people totally unknown to me. Especially some FC whose joining requirements are "Can you answer a tell?"

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
TIL Yotsuyu's voice in JAP sounds like a 5 year old girl.

How the hell did that work? God I feel like that sound coming from her during the earlier Stormblood scenes would made her seem more hilarious than brutal.

Oh, and yeah watch the last 5 seconds of the trailer. Definitely gonna see Kefka.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No English translation yet, but don't need a translation to see all the FF6 goodies next patch. Phantom Train and Kefka!! Plus I am pretty sure I saw Warmech from FF1 in Deltascape quickly.

While I like the nod to VI, never thought as highly of Kefka as a villain. Still, maybe they'll make him good. Just hope the MSQ gets going in a good direction.

Cybsled

They did post English version finally. In terms of MSQ, looks like the main points are:

1) Empire wants an alliance to kill Eikons/Primals, since everyone hates them
2) Yotsuyu. It looks like Goetsu finally hooks back up with everyone with her in tow. Seems like it will be a "will she or will she not get her memories back...and if she doesn't, is she still liable for her actions" situation