Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I don't have it in me to join some FC with a bunch of people totally unknown to me. Especially some FC whose joining requirements are "Can you answer a tell?"
I mean I kinda get it but like when I switched servers with the free transfers to a server I knew no one on, I just opened the lodestone list, went for the FC with the most people which had max level and joined them, then filtered out FC chat(partly to prevent reading story spoilers since I wasn't done yet and partly because I didn't give a fuck about interacting with random people). This gave me access to the FC combat xp buff and a teleport next to a market board for cheap. Then a week later or so I actually decided on joining a real FC after doing some research and what not and just left. I think the only thing I ever said in that FC chat was Hi when I was invited.

Ultimately, a FC that just invites everyone isn't really a FC you should care about or interact with, they're just trying to get high lvl FC and maybe then making it into a decent FC, so just treat it as such imo.

TIL Yotsuyu's voice in JAP sounds like a 5 year old girl.

How the hell did that work? God I feel like that sound coming from her during the earlier Stormblood scenes would made her seem more hilarious than brutal.

Oh, and yeah watch the last 5 seconds of the trailer. Definitely gonna see Kefka.
Her voice is weird because I assume she lost her memory and that's like her "little girl" voice or whatever. You can look quickly at this to see her usual tone of voice works a lot better with her character.

Last edited:

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Looks pretty cool, guess it's time to resub and get my last few accessories from o1s. Will be glad to finally beat o3s and so on, got burnt out right after they took away the loot lockout. PF in this game can be soul crushing, might be time to look into joining a static this go around.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah it's a really terrible way to change it. I can already see the new player who was just before the quest before the patch, logs in, oh nice a dungeon, queues, first cutscene starts, nice that's cool, cutscene ends, 3/4 of the group left because they hadn't read the patch notes and don't want to wait for the cutscenes. Rinse repeat a few times, until the queues become long as fuck.

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
Yeah it's a really terrible way to change it. I can already see the new player who was just before the quest before the patch, logs in, oh nice a dungeon, queues, first cutscene starts, nice that's cool, cutscene ends, 3/4 of the group left because they hadn't read the patch notes and don't want to wait for the cutscenes. Rinse repeat a few times, until the queues become long as fuck.

Agree completely. While I empathize with new players who want to watch the cutscenes, those cutscenes are loooong for a dungeon run. No way in hell am I gonna run those if I have to sit through those again every time. Rerunning those over and over for Darklight back at launch was enough for me.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I run them 50-70 as they are quick decent xp....that wont be the case anymore. This roulette would need to x5 the bonus xp or its dead

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Not sure how someone thought that would be a good idea with the MSQ cutscenes. I mean good Christ, are there even enough new players in this game to justify that? I ran that dozens and dozens of times and each time you would have 0-2 newbies. That is a shit call there, no rewards are worth sitting through those long ass cutscenes.

Also you can't really call those patch notes, that is more like a patch novella. I forgot how awesomely long FFXIV patch notes were, heh.

Cybsled

I'd consider running MSQ routlette if it gave you a VI crafting/gathering materia every run lol

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
These will probably drop in price a fair amount once they remove elemental materias from the loot table of combining materias. Can take 5skillspeed materias or whatever and have a fair shot at a crafting/gathering materia now, since the only outcomes are the other combat ones or the 6 crafting/gathering. I think I saw some reddit post saying it's going up from ~30% to ~50% chance to get one of these now, plus the flooding that'll happen right away as people bought all the garbage materias as soon as it was announced.

That said, they will need really good rewards to get people to waste 50mins of their times. It's not like watching the cutscenes again is interesting, and there isn't even an alert when the cutscenes are done if you're alt tabbed. I don't think a bunch of poetics would do it. Maybe some currency for special glamours and mount and shit would but they didn't mention anything like that so unlikely.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Might be coming back to this casually. I paid for the original msq skip but not heavenward I think. My warrior is around 40 or so and it's ok but I never really gelled with the class so much. I do enjoy tanking, but I think not so much in this game.

In ffxi I mained a black mage but hearing they aren't so great (and all casters). I also mained a dps warrior (dual wield 1h axes). Looking for something different here. I guess a desired class in groups that is dps (melee or caster). What are my best options to look at?

I'm ok bringing the warrior to 50 to unlock them .

Cybsled

If you're coming back casually, then play what you want. The only people that are going to care about certain classes are cutting edge savage mode/ultimate premades.

I'm personally enjoying Samurai, but they need more love in the DPS dept. Especially since monks are getting a massive buff this patch.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Might be coming back to this casually. I paid for the original msq skip but not heavenward I think. My warrior is around 40 or so and it's ok but I never really gelled with the class so much. I do enjoy tanking, but I think not so much in this game.

In ffxi I mained a black mage but hearing they aren't so great (and all casters). I also mained a dps warrior (dual wield 1h axes). Looking for something different here. I guess a desired class in groups that is dps (melee or caster). What are my best options to look at?

I'm ok bringing the warrior to 50 to unlock them .
Realistically as pointed out unless you're doing savage, classes don't matter much. Even if you do savage, most groups aren't retarded enough to try to recruit speedrun setups for progression. A few are, but they'll most likely fail since good luck learning fights when you have probably subpar DPS because the setup is entirely reliant on knowing the fight to maximize buff burst uptime and shit like that.

Still would recommend not doing BLM because it has some fairly large issues though, it can be fun to some people but it's also fucking frustrating as fuck especially if people don't work with you. There's also the fact it's nothing like XI BLM, but then again nothing is like XI at all really.

Now if you do want stuff in terms of desirability. Outside the obvious healer/tank need for every groups, in terms of DPS, I'd say it goes something like BRD > MCH for the utility DPS, which you absolutely need one of in every raid group but generally don't want 2(unless doing those speedrun setups) and for normal DPS it's probably like NIN > RDM/DRG/SMN > MNK > SAM/BLM. Ninja is basically also a must have for every raid group(I mean you don't NEED one, but you really want one), then the 3 next are all very good due to utility they provide mostly(SMN also does really high damage nowadays I think?) although RDM falls off a cliff once you're done with progression so you'd probably want to level SMN and alternate between the 2(they use the same gear, other than weapon). Then you have monk which has some utility and should have high personnal damage after the patch, and then SAM/BLM have no utility, but at least SAM has high personnal damage(BLM not as much I think? although with the changes they might be a good bit higher than other DPS, just still no utility).

That said and repeating it, if you're just playing casually and not progressing on savage hardcore/early on(so you have time to buy a bunch of tome gear as you progress), then it doesn't matter a whole lot. You can have 3BLMs and still clear savage content if you have enough ilvl basically. If you're not even doing savage, shit is mostly irrelevant, you can 8tanks pretty much all the non savage content so yeah.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Thanks guys, I'll take it all in .Probably best to get warrior to 50 before deciding
Note that getting to 50 only unlocks RDM and SAM. To unlock the HW classes(DRK/MCH/AST), you also need to complete all the 2.0 to 2.5 MSQ, which takes a fucking long ass time. Granted these 3 classes don't really fit what you were asking so not much of an issue.

Both RDM and SAM are very strong while leveling, have fairly interesting gameplay(I really liked SAM, RDM is ok-ish, bit simplistic) and are pretty decent choices to start gearing up so it might be worth it. Plus they start at 50, so you can just switch directly from your WAR to RDM/SAM and continue the story without having to relvl anything else so that's nice.

Malkav

French Madman
Ooooh, they sure increased the reward on the MSQ roulette with those now unskippable cutscenes! It now rewards 200 poetics instead of 120.
This roulette is dead.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ooooh, they sure increased the reward on the MSQ roulette with those now unskippable cutscenes! It now rewards 200 poetics instead of 120.
This roulette is dead.
Where did you see that? Datamining? Afaik they haven't said what the rewards are yet and the patch notes reading stream hasn't started yet?

If it is 200 then yeah it's fucked and I assume they'll have to hotfix it cause no one's going to be able to clear it without getting help in a PF for unsynced.