Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh I see it now, missed it somehow. If there's not a secondary reward like the tank queue shit then yeah it's fucking dead, 200 poetics is nothing. Shit poetics is nothing overall, you only need a finite amount, they don't really convert into much money or anything worthwhile, and you get so many doing random shit.

Cybsled

Emergency maint ;/ Gdit, I was all ready to play when I woke up too

Edit: Oh shit, Cyan's theme orchestron roll comes from a quest. I must have that.

Last edited:

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Alright well experiment "get girlfriend to play a videogame" is going extremely well, she enjoys it and all things considered does decent so far. We just finished the base MSQ and have done the first 3 hardmode trials (titan HM raped her the first 2 times though haha, she is like "WHY DO I KEEP DYING"

So my question is, do we just start the MSQ to next expansion it looks like? Or is there options to do more? I see odin trial quest now, if we do that will it open up more of the pre-expansion trials? I'd like for us to experience most the stuff outside of the MSQ as far as raid/trials at least once. When i quit years ago before the 1st expansion i remember bahamuts tower or something. Can you still queue for that or not?

We are lvl 53 on our mains (PAL & WHM), she also has a BLM to 44 that i just do daily roulette with on a lvl 60 DK i bought via square. Got Goldsmith & Weaver to lvl 54/55 so far.

Any tips on next expansion as far as must do's?

Cybsled

I would get to work on the Heavensward MSQ, since it is a pretty solid storyline and opens up lots of new trials/raids/etc.

Endless Coil of Bahamut is available in Dutyfinder if you have unlocked it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Alright well experiment "get girlfriend to play a videogame" is going extremely well, she enjoys it and all things considered does decent so far. We just finished the base MSQ and have done the first 3 hardmode trials (titan HM raped her the first 2 times though haha, she is like "WHY DO I KEEP DYING"

So my question is, do we just start the MSQ to next expansion it looks like? Or is there options to do more? I see odin trial quest now, if we do that will it open up more of the pre-expansion trials? I'd like for us to experience most the stuff outside of the MSQ as far as raid/trials at least once. When i quit years ago before the 1st expansion i remember bahamuts tower or something. Can you still queue for that or not?

We are lvl 53 on our mains (PAL & WHM), she also has a BLM to 44 that i just do daily roulette with on a lvl 60 DK i bought via square. Got Goldsmith & Weaver to lvl 54/55 so far.

Any tips on next expansion as far as must do's?
The game is designed so that the MSQ pretty much unlocks everything and gets you to do most content.

There are things not in the MSQ and everything pretty much has a story.

You have the 4man dungeons, plenty of them aren't in the MSQ. They can be useful to unlock to be able to do the dungeon roulettes. Some of them are really cool too(Lost City of Amdapor or Pharos Sirius in the vanilla ones come to mind). Just don't focus on it too much at once.

Then the 8man raids, I'd heavily recommend not doing these until cap, they're fairly challenging. Coil has by far the best story and is easily one of the best story bit of FFXIV, however the difficulty is high to get there(mostly the good story happens in final coil, but 2nd coil is very challenging for a new player if you're not unsynced with 10+ lvls advantage, especially turn 9 it was annoying as shit carrying people in that even at the end of vanilla).

Finally the 24man raids, they're "easier" than the 8man, more casual and since there's more people you can afford people dying here and there. On the other hand their stories are pretty shit in my opinion, but they have some really cool looking fights. I'd say probably keep them until cap too, but you could try unlocking Crystal Tower and do them as you go, there's a roulette for them which should be making the wait not too long. Heavily recommend getting poetics gear though.

Then you have a bit of sidecontent storywise, the most notable of which is Hildibrand Manderville. This is a completely different style than the rest, and it's like japanese comedy shit. Most people find it pretty fun to do, it has a few trials mixed in too so it's not just random quests, but a lot of it is just random shit. You can do that whenever, depending on your tastes you might just not bother at all but if you like it, it has a long storyline that goes through the various expansions.

Honestly I'd just do the MSQ for now, it has a fair share of trial fights mixed in, not just primals too, and forces you to do certain dungeons also and it has a solid story to keep things engaging. Sadly assuming you just finished the 2.0 story, you're in the kinda shitty spot. You have to do 2.1 to 2.5 story stuff, which is the filler part of 2.0. Well until 2.4 or so when it starts picking up and foreshadowing the start of Heavensward. I'd focus on doing that, it's A LOT of quests(like 100+), it'll unlock a bunch of fights and dungeons(King Mog, Leviathan, Ramuh, Shiva as well as Steps of Faith plus many 4mans). Once you get to Heavensward is when the game really shines, the story in HW is way better than pretty much everything else in the game besides the end of coil, it feels like a real FF from that point on.

Oh and I mentionned it quickly, but once you're 50, if you go to Mor Dhona, you can use the poetics they gave you from the MSQ(you'll get more too). Use these to buy poetics gear for your class, the higher ilvl possible which is Ironworks. This will give you a large boost of power and makes everything else much easier. Prioritize weapon first, then armor, then accessories. Vendor is Aurianna, to buy weapons you buy the Rowena's Token and an Encrypted Tomestone to trade to Aelina.

And remember to do your class quests. They're important for skills, especially since the 52-60 skills are only unlocked once you do the appropriate quest in Heavensward(and you also can't get them until you unlock Heavensward).

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Thanks for taking the time to write up, appreciate the feedback. We ran her through a few of the HM dungeons we unlocked just to keep giving her practice. Few ?'s

a) Poetics, is there higher level gear once we get higher lvl/msq that we can use these for? We are lvl 54 atm and i have crafted us full HQ lvl 52-53 gear so stats seemed better if i recall (?). If they are of still use then us doing all these HM dungoens etc isn't a complete waste since we get a bonus ones for 1st completition etc and continues to help her learn.

b) How do you do dungoens/trials etc un-lvl sync'd? It always sync's use. Also i see the HM's have a item level sync...so that means no matter how good of gear you had basically everyone has the same stats (for the class) when inside? If so is that very common....seems fucking retarded. Why the fuck work hard to get gear and then have it not matter.....on the ones that are lvl sync'd not item sync'd i assume having better high lvl gear gives you an advantage vs a normal lvl?

Is there any relic shit we need to do or does that not play into future expansion relics? I remember having relics on my main 3-4 classes and it was a pain.

Cybsled

Poetics can be used for legacy tier armor (Mor Dhona for the 50 stuff, Idylshire for the 60 stuff). So basically the 50 and 60 stuff. If you augment the armors/weapons, they will last you pretty deep into the 50s and 60s. I would highly recommend using your poetics for that as you level, since it makes leveling a bit more painless.

To do dungeons unsync, when you open up duty finder, in the upper left is a button (looks like a gear). If you click on that, you can unsync or select undersized party. Good for overpowering old content on a high level character. Some of the party finder groups you can join will also advertise if they are unsync. You can unsync hardmode/extreme stuff, but you dont get regular drops (only from chests or boss kills).

Relics from ARR or HW are worthless except for looks. If you want to put in the time for them, that's fine, but they are 100% optional at this point. The SB relics will be forthcoming at somepoint.

Cybsled

Just did the FF6 train trial. Say what you will about this game, but visually its raids shit all over all MMOs lol

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Thanks! So sounds like we are better off waiting to get to lvl 60 and go to idylshire (assuming thats Heave expax area?). Do you get exp penality for running unsync'd? For this lower level stuff we don't care about gear since it all sucks compared to the crafted I made and meld'd.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Looking at the duty finder, it looks like it still sync's you to the lvl of the place doesn't it? Is it possible for me to just go steam roll a lvl 50 dungoen with my lvl 60 DK with my gf on on her lvl 50 WHM or?

Cybsled

Unsync has an exp penalty I believe.

Duty finder will auto-sync unless you select the options. You can't use the auto group finder to enter it, you have to do it manually.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Ok completely confused....i open duty finder and pick HM Hataia....I open the gear box but only relevant box is the IL level sync but that is not checked by default. My gear still gets item level sync'd.....

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Don't have a sub so can't confirm exact wording/position, but iirc in those cog options, select Undersized party. This will remove all level syncs and required numbers of people so you can enter solo or whatever.

Note that being 54 to do 50 content isn't THAT easy still. There's massive bumps in power when you reach each 10levels due to ilvl gear upgrades. Basically at 54 you're only slightly stronger than at 50 in terms of ilvl, using the endgame 50 ilvl stuff. Plus if you don't have heavensward unlocked you don't even have your skills. Once you reach 60 though, instead of just getting the entry level 60 gear, you can use poetics and buy the max 60 ilvl gear(I wanna say it was i270, but not sure), which is a massive jump in power since it's like +90ilvl or something and makes it very easy to solo most 50 content, although might still be kinda slow in terms of kill speed. Once you get to 70 you can truly just run through most 50 content.

And yeah keep your poetics if you already overleveled and crafted some gear. Idylshire is a special town that opens fairly late into heavensward. However if you're that far ahead and haven't started HW, you might also end up like 62 or whatever by the time you open it, and you could just buy some crafted gear which would be about the same as the poetics gear.

Cybsled

What he said. Just wait til 70, get some gear, and you can steam roll some of the old content. Some of the ARR extremes you can solo or duo.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Ok thanks for clarifying. My DK is lvl 62 at the moment with the ilvl 260 set you get, i just use him to do the daily roulette with my gf's blm and then we do all the MSQ/trials etc on the PAL/WHM. So if i do the smaller party

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Holy Shit Byakko is an awesome fight.
Just did the FF6 train trial. Say what you will about this game, but visually its raids shit all over all MMOs lol
^ Both of these. If you've seen V8S and its final phase transition, it'll trigger your nostalgia so hard. I wasn't sure how they'd sell Phantom Train, but they did it on Normal/Story for sure. There's even a fake-Siegfried easter egg which dies in one hit. lol

I really like the aesthetics and mechanics of Byakko's second phase, the part before he does his ult. (not saying more because it's the kind of thing to experience).