Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Having trouble deciding what to play. I always tank so I guess that limits me to 3

Right now I'm 36 warrior (lol) with the msq skip so was doing potd. The idea of DRK intrigues me, but are they shit tier tanks?

Not interested in paladin

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You get one pretty quick but yeah it kinda sucks for a little bit, especially since they nerfed Sprint to be longer cd at some point. What you can do is level Archer to hmm... 15 or 20 I forgot and get Peloton, and then you can make a macro that switches classes to Archer(or BRD if you go to 30+) and cast Peloton for the speed buff. Good for town running even after you have a mount, you sprint, do the macro, sprint again etc.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Probably faster to just get the chocobo than to level another class lol
Meh not necessarily, it's a lot of MSQs to get there, but anyway the point wasn't replacing the chocobo, mounts are still way better, it's just something you can do since travel time is always a bitch and there's still a lot of places you can't use a mount that require you running around. Peloton macro saves quite a lot of time when you're doing fetch quests in cities. Mind you depends on what you're doing but there's quite a few quests in Ishgard and Kurogane for example.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Having trouble deciding what to play. I always tank so I guess that limits me to 3

Right now I'm 36 warrior (lol) with the msq skip so was doing potd. The idea of DRK intrigues me, but are they shit tier tanks?

My buddy plays a drk and he pretty much just tanks everything no problem. Not sure about bleeding edge but for everything else they kick ass.

Faltigoth

I am trying to live a little outside Azeroth, I know the minute I log into that fucker my next 6-12 months is nothing but cheezits, raids, and living like a bad MMO gamer stereotype hehe. I think last week was the first time in like a year I was able to get shitffaced and avoid talking about my elite hunter DPS and standing in the fire.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Any point in getting stormblood for a n00b ? I am going to level a toon in this game give it a shot... Does Stormblood matter ?

Faltigoth

Any point in getting stormblood for a n00b ? I am going to level a toon in this game give it a shot... Does Stormblood matter ?

Stormblood adds 10 levels and a bunch of content...so yeah, if you want to take it to the end, it will matter eventually!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Stormblood includes Heavensward(unlike WoW which rolls expansions into the base game besides the last, FF rolls expansions into the last expansion), so having Stormblood lets you create an Au'Ra(dragon people added with Heavensward).

Other than that, none of the expansion stuff has any impact until lvl 50 at least, at which point being 50 lets you play Samurai and Red Mage from Stormblood(the Heavensward classes are only unlocked once you reach Heavensward itself, which takes quite a while after reaching 50). So if you're just looking to test the game, you can definitely not buy the expansions until you reach 50 and not see any difference. Can even start clearing the 2.1-2.5 story quests before you buy them, you'll "waste" xp, but there's way more xp than needed anyway with all the filler quests.

Trial goes up to 35 too and can be played forever, obviously being a trial you don't have access to most social features like tells and AH to prevent RMT shit, but it's a decent enough way to check out the game, especially since 35 gets you to a fair point in the story to see at least one decent dungeon(Sunken Temple) and one decent trial(Titan).

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Gotten into this lately. That post-ARR shit was nonsense. Hit Heavensward at level 54 and I didn't particularly try to EXP.

Any forum bros still hanging around Gilgamesh? Know of a good free company or linkshell for a newb Paladin?

skylan

Trakanon Raider
Getting frustrated with the lack of choices for mmorpgs and considering giving this one another shot. I played before any expansions, if I remember correctly I was a level 50 (or is it 60?) paladin with decent gear at the time. Man, my memory is shit.. I was raiding but I forget what the zone was called, all I remember was it had like 6 or 8 wings. So I'd like to give one of the new classes a shot, and wouldn't mind just starting from level 1 and taking the game in pretty casually. Is it even feasible to start now? Would I get bottlenecked at the main story quests and not be able to progress? Has everyone pretty much gone Samurai or Ninja because they're the cool new classes or has the novelty worn off yet?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Can definitely start from scratch, or could restart your char since there's not much point in redoing the 1-50 stuff. You're gated by the story but it's not much of an issue getting groups to do stuff other than maybe the last quest in the original main story, not sure how the queues are on that, although you could maybe get a random person to carry you through it anyway. But really it means waiting 40mins in queue instead of 20mins(on a DPS) I'd assume, so no big deal. All the story required stuff is part of roulettes for daillies that people still do all the time so it's not an issue finding groups to do your story instances.

Ninja has very much died down, it's not that popular but not like the least popular either. Also it isn't new, it was added in 2.4, like 3years ago? SAM was very popular at the expansion's launch, not sure now, it suffers from having no utility so not being very popular in raids and that trickles down to people not playing the class for a perceived "weakness" even though it's perfectly fine for the content they're doing anyway.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Getting frustrated with the lack of choices for mmorpgs and considering giving this one another shot. I played before any expansions, if I remember correctly I was a level 50 (or is it 60?) paladin with decent gear at the time. Man, my memory is shit.. I was raiding but I forget what the zone was called, all I remember was it had like 6 or 8 wings. So I'd like to give one of the new classes a shot, and wouldn't mind just starting from level 1 and taking the game in pretty casually. Is it even feasible to start now? Would I get bottlenecked at the main story quests and not be able to progress? Has everyone pretty much gone Samurai or Ninja because they're the cool new classes or has the novelty worn off yet?

Totally possible to get into it. If you need the expansions it's on sale for $20 or you can wipe it clean with a brand new account for $30 (includes all expansions + free 30 days).

As a tank my queues have ranged from instant to five minutes. Nothing in the MSQ is a hurdle and queues are quick – DPS types might have to do filler stuff while waiting on a group to pop up but as a tank it's 100% a non-issue.

Samurai requires you to have any class at 50 before you unlock the class. Ninja requires any class to level 10 (or 15?). I might see more of them than Dragoons, but Monks and Bards have been the physical DPS classes I get grouped with most. Samurai is a "bad" class in top end raiding right now so they have some silly stigma attached to them that's meaningless in group play.

The #1 "hurdle" to enjoying the game is the main story quest.

Cybsled

Well, the post ARR MSQ is the main hurdle. 100 quests of bullshit before you unlock Heavensward. Then it isn't as bad. Although at least the reward at the end of the shitload of ARR MSQ is a pretty awesome finale to the original game.

Janx

<Silver Donator>

When I was playing it was DRK mostly. Very fun, you'd probably like it.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Been playing this a bit, free double xp until 60 is kinda nice when its your first time playing it. Gf is enjoying it which is rare considering all she thinks about is WoW.

Friend code for anyone considering playing, think its reusable?

RNVZXCW8

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
That double exp to 60 buff is only for low population servers. Considering 99% of the game is locked behind story progression (which gives enough experience to level 1-70 already), it's a trap to lure people away from medium and high-population servers. Road to 60 is only cool if you want to buy a story skip but not a level skip or you want to halt your leveling experience to get crafters up before you advance the story to end-game content.

What datacenter and server are you on Xexx Xexx ? I'm on Gilgamesh (Aether).